Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
both were on mustang dynos. last time around septemberish 2005 i dynoed 181whp and 158wtq. they tuned it and all that fun stuff and that was the final numbers
since then i havent done much, just an h22 tranny, Quaife LSD, and carsound catalytic converter. i figured id put down like 2whp more lol

not the case... today i went to a local shops (different from the first shop)kinda "grand opening" ish dyno day. $20 for 2 pulls so i figured id go for the hell of it. sadly i only put down 169whp and 137wtq on the first run and 170whp and 139wtq on the second run.

so my question is... what causes such a drop? i know different dynos put out different numbers but they're both mustang dynos so id assume they'd at least be relatively close to each other. and it was a tad warmer today than when i dynoed back in september (was almost night time). but i cant see losing 20lb/ft over those two things

i have the sheets but no camera or scanner unless you include my camera phone but i dont know how well that would do. and besides, the sheet from a few months ago and the sheet from today are totally different looking so it would be sorta hard to compare the two.

if my car hadnt just been hit and run two days ago id be buying parts for the head right now

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Maybe since its new its not broken in and loose enough? Im not sure , but temperature is one thing. It also depends on air quality and humidity in the air along with a bunch of other things. Air temp is just one factor.

But 20lb is a lot....have you been beating on the car a bunch? Did you get a compression test before the good dyno , if so try one now see if its changed.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mike_sho said:
Maybe since its new its not broken in and loose enough? Im not sure , but temperature is one thing. It also depends on air quality and humidity in the air along with a bunch of other things. Air temp is just one factor.

But 20lb is a lot....have you been beating on the car a bunch? Did you get a compression test before the good dyno , if so try one now see if its changed.
i prolly should do a compression test just to see where things are at.

and i hit vtec a lot but i hardly ever take it all the way to the redline... im just hoping i didnt pull a Blake and bend a valve from a misshift a long time ago :(

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Many variables

Well there could be a lot of variables... I would think first of man error, maybe you didn't drive it the way you did earlier. Another one could be the ambient conditions such as temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure. Then finally I would advise you to stick with one dyno, their machines even though there is a case that are identical their calibration can be off or very different.

Try to re-dyno it on the first one you did. ;)

***edit***
Quaife LSD doesn't improve horsepower, it just makes the car handle better and react better to throttle response... it will help you on speed but not power.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
Another one could be the ambient conditions such as temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure. Then finally I would advise you to stick with one dyno, their machines even though there is a case that are identical their calibration can be off or very different.

Try to re-dyno it on the first one you did. ;)
do the 2 charts of the atmospheric pressure and all that? compare the 2, was one corrected and the other uncorrected? same altitude? i know at the shop i used to work at, out dynos weather station was messed up so our dyno corrected way wrong...

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
LOL. Yeah I bet there is a break-in period of some sorts. Unless it can adjust for the drag the rollers has a new one would be bad while a nice used one would be good and loose and then probably goes back to tight again before needing servicing.

But thats just a guess. But yeah good idea is to try and go back and run at the old dyno. Compression testers are at sears for like 20 for the cheap one and 50 for the craftsman....might be off though been awhile.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freakin'H22A said:
***edit***
Quaife LSD doesn't improve horsepower, it just makes the car handle better and react better to throttle response... it will help you on speed but not power.
i know. its more things to turn which would make it lose a lil horsepower, which is why i added it.

ive PMed the guy that tuned my car back in september to see what he thinks and how much it would cost to jump on there and fine tune it after i have my throttle body bored out at maxbore.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just got word that the dyno had a broken sensor but they didnt say yet if it caused lower readings or what. but for comparisons sake... a 98ish 4cyl accord with intake and axleback exhaust pulled 112whp is that low for those cars lol?

they said i can come back and do 1 free pull when they get it fixed

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
crdcz03 said:
i know. its more things to turn which would make it lose a lil horsepower, which is why i added it.

ive PMed the guy that tuned my car back in september to see what he thinks and how much it would cost to jump on there and fine tune it after i have my throttle body bored out at maxbore.
I think you misunderstood what I mentioned... I didn't say that the Quaife LSD makes the car loose horsepower, I was just commenting that it doesn't add horsepower just traction... don't worry about the weight... it compensates by itself with the two wheels turning for equal amount of power put to the wheels. ;)

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
What was the compression on the engine when you installed it into the bay?

Did you get it from the same place blake got his swap?

It very well could be because the temps and air quality. The guy that dynoed my car told me to come back on a 60 degree night and I'd probably see another 10-12 hp.

2 pulls isn't enough time to determine whether the engine is having problems or not really. I doubt you bent a valve if you're not having initial startup problems and stuff like I did!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
crdcz03 said:
i just got word that the dyno had a broken sensor but they didnt say yet if it caused lower readings or what. but for comparisons sake... a 98ish 4cyl accord with intake and axleback exhaust pulled 112whp is that low for those cars lol?

they said i can come back and do 1 free pull when they get it fixed
lameo

go kick their ass

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
noopie said:
lameo

go kick their ass
lol i want to kick their dynos ass... making me all paranoid and shit hahah

they had a 1/4 mile simulator thing that i coulda done but i didnt want to b/c it would be kinda wierd to be sitting up there bouncing off the 2-step lol and then proceeding to "burn out" on the dyno :lol

one kid with an auto accord did it tho... 18 seconds woohoo!!! :hehe

·
Registered
351 Posts
Read the latest honda tuning mag, they have an article in there about new cams and pistons for the H22. When they did the initial dyno the engine only put out like 156hp, when the owner said he dynoed it a few weeks before that at 176. They noticed that power went flat on the top end. The problem was that each piston had scored its cylinder walls and compression was way down. Im not by any means saying this is your problem, I just thought Id throw in my 2.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
eyelessH22 said:
Read the latest honda tuning mag, they have an article in there about new cams and pistons for the H22. When they did the initial dyno the engine only put out like 156hp, when the owner said he dynoed it a few weeks before that at 176. They noticed that power went flat on the top end. The problem was that each piston had scored its cylinder walls and compression was way down. Im not by any means saying this is your problem, I just thought Id throw in my 2.
now you've gone and made him paranoid again :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
noopie said:
now you've gone and made him paranoid again :D
I was put down 198 whp after my h22a vtec swap with like 20% humidity and awesome air then I put down 178 whp on a 80% humidity day and poor air. So I would say that air conditions does matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts