Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. My e-brake light doesn't turn off right away when I release the brake. This usually occurs first thing in the morning or when the car has been sitting while I am at work. After driving a little bit it ends up turning off but sometimes it pops back on again and then off. I was just going to go ahead and take it to Acura but I wanted to see if the were any ideas what the problem could be because for me the closest dealer is an hour away.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Go to the dealer and have them adjust your E-brake. Tell them the trouble and they will fix it.

After all your car is a 01 and under warrenty.

Good luck,

A.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called David Mcdavid to make an appt. and the guy told me to check my brake resevoir to make sure it wasn't low. I check it and in the process I find my problem. The top wasn't put on tight which through off the sensor. No more problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your cap was off for a long time you should flush your brake fluid. Brake fluid can get contaminated very easy, if exposed to the air.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
On my Civic, the light would also get stay on even the though the brake was engaged. I took it to the dealer and what they had to do was replace the trip switch in the handle which turns off/on the light. Apparently it was defective and would stay switched, but through the vibrations that go along with driving, the switch would disengage over time. Kind of a dinky problem. Perhaps the same thing in your case is the switch.

Simple thing to fix.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Man shit I was going to say the resivour as soon as I started reading but you figured it out already. I never get the esay ones in time. Make sure that fluid is clean though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the same exact problem...
well, I check the brake fluid, it is in the mid section of "Min" and "Max" so I guess it is not low.
but the light keeps on going on and off while driving.

I am ignoring this right, I will get it fix when my next oil change comes up. which is about 800 more miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make sure that fluid is clean though.
Well ... yeah, but if the top was loose, Not sealed. Moisture will get into the Bake Fluid.
Moisture does all the damage to brake parts and reduce the affectiveness of the brakes. Because with moisture in it, it will boil easier, this will mean you'll lose brake pedal with repeated heavy braking. I flush mine after track days, and / or 12 months.

Later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts