Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friends dumb ass drove around with the e-brake up and overheated the car. my question is... whats gonna happen to that car if anything?

·
Registered
804 Posts
my friend said his mom accidently drove his car with the ebrake pulled up and the car started smelling REALLY bad and they had to get some new stuff to replace it. not sure on details. might wanna take it into a shop to get checked out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
that one civic said:
depends on how bad he overheated it. did it actually shut down from thermal overload? if it did, he might want to have it checked out to make sure he didn't blow his head gasket or anything like that. if the gauge just went up, then there shouldn't be any problems, though he'll definitely want to readjust his e-brake.
Thermal overload from holding the e-brake? :p Haha, yeah. What the heck is gonna happen to your engine if you hold your e-brake? It just holds the rear brakes! :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, but if it held tight enough, the engine would have to work all that much harder to get the car going. It really shouldn't overheat, but the possibility is definately there.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
so on a really windy day are you hurting your car? :p

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
How do you drive your car with the e-brake up. Did he not notice tbat he had to gas it a little more to get it to go or something? I know that I sometimes forgot to put mine down when I'm backing out in a hurry, and my car just tries to go, but I don't gas it enough to actually go. I'm guessing he's gonna need new pads or drums in the back, whatever he's got, and a lesson in driving 101.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I don't think it shoud do anythin to the engine... It might just hurt your brakes, that's all... And the smell is from your brakes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don't know about you peoples' cars, but my car has a BRIGHT RED WARNING LIGHT STARING YOU IN THE FACE if the e-brake is engaged. How somebody could drive without possibly knowing the brake is engaged is beyond me...except clueless woman drivers of course.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Biff said:
I don't know about you peoples' cars, but my car has a BRIGHT RED WARNING LIGHT STARING YOU IN THE FACE if the e-brake is engaged. How somebody could drive without possibly knowing the brake is engaged is beyond me...except clueless woman drivers of course.
not on mine! :( But seriously, even if you did have the handbrake up, obviously it wasnt up high enough for you to notice it, so i wouldn't be that bad, and that isnt enough to overheat a car. When you drive up a hill your dosnt just overheat, if the car did overheat i can guarantee it was down to more than just the e-brake.

that one civic said:
he said that his friend over heated the engine. i asked how bad it was overheated, what's wrong with that?
I was just kidding bro :p It was just funny thats all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's my idea, tell your friend to give you the keys.....you hold on to them until the car sells......then use the extra money and buy him a mountain bike or something. A moped might work wonders.

·
Registered
259 Posts
.... haha ive done that but... it was a foot e-brake. i left it down and forgot to pull it back up eh the only thing that happen was the rear brakes were shot so whenever i parked on a hill i had to put it in gear and turn the wheel lots :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
if the pad is worn down far enough, yes. i let my pads go too long once and messed 2 of my rotors up in the process.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts