Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the cheap $150 intercooler on ebay a good deal? is it worth it? are they scams? do they actually work like $600 intercooler?

i need inputs because im looking forward to buying an intercooler.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You get what you pay for.
There is a difference between the intercooler designs (bar and plate, tube and fin) some are just cut down truck cores, and some are actually designed to flow well.
How much power are you looking to make?

Ever heard of ssac?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
those will be fine ofr that power level.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I got a nicely polished one from ebay with the exact measurements i wanted for like $250. It works fine for me and looks awesome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow :noo
Those are horrible. If you only run 7 psi on a 1.6 you might do ok.
Those Jonnyracecar pieces have the worst endtank designs possible. Everything from the shape to the inlet/outlet placement is inadequate for serious airflow.
Do some homework. Save the extra 200 that you'd need to actually get an IC that has a decent endtank design and a thicker, more efficient core.
Those look like quarters of decent radiator cores.

Tek

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Tekvicious said:
Wow :noo
Those are horrible. If you only run 7 psi on a 1.6 you might do ok.
Those Jonnyracecar pieces have the worst endtank designs possible. Everything from the shape to the inlet/outlet placement is inadequate for serious airflow.
Do some homework. Save the extra 200 that you'd need to actually get an IC that has a decent endtank design and a thicker, more efficient core.
Those look like quarters of decent radiator cores.

Tek
if he just wants 250-270whp i dont think he needs state of the art in intercooler flow.....i think the cheap intercooler will get the job done..espically since that "horrible" intercooler has been seen holding 300-400whp motors with plenty of cool air, get off your high horse

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
fsufan814 said:
if he just wants 250-270whp i dont think he needs state of the art in intercooler flow.....i think the cheap intercooler will get the job done..espically since that "horrible" intercooler has been seen holding 300-400whp motors with plenty of cool air, get off your high horse
Show me a car making 300-400whp on a johhnyracecar intercooler. I don't believe it for one minute. Those have to be some of the cheapest, ugliest poorest flowing "intercoolers" ever made.....you do get what you pay for..
At 250whp I noticed a big difference when I switched from a small poor flowing intercooler to a larger better flowing intercooler.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The JRC will work fine for his goals. He does have more than 1 size. Custom coach are kind of the same maybe slightly better design... I havent looked at one in awhile.

Not to mention this thread is 3 months old. :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
johnnyrace car is ten times better than the ebay SS Autochrome kits.... i got one of the autochrome kits, a friend got the racecar kit.

the johnnyracecar kit costs just slightly less than the ebay autochrome kit, but the ebay autochrome kit comes with the incorrect piping - to top that off, when you email them about it, they basically tell you to go [email protected]#k yourself (in so many words).

i would stay away from them if i were you. if you don't plan on doing a full build on your turbo motor (if its your daily driver for fun), then the johnnyracecar will do. If you plan on going all crazy with the motor, i'd spend the extra dough and get the greddy or another big-name pro IC...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used the jrc intercooler on my z6 turbo setup and it worked fine for me.. i wasn't making 250-270 though. i can't really vouch for one on higher power levels, but i thought the car ran pretty well with that setup.

-joe

·
Registered
343 Posts
i know thi
s is an old thread but I was wantin toget a 8" JRC cuz I can get it in black. R realy that bad? Im lookin to make atleast 250whp. I do plan on buildin my motor whenever she blows.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I run the 6" JohnnyRaceCar intercooler on my car at 10psi, >200 hp. Never a problem with it.

If you've got money to burn, go ahead and buy an expensive brand-name. If you're on a tight budget, they're perfectly fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry guys...I was under the impression that we were trying to build fast cars. :p
Seriously, a 200 hp civic is a quick car. I was merely trying to make a point. Those IC's are crap, and you'd be further ahead with a MK3 Supra or a STARION
IC.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Tekvicious said:
Sorry guys...I was under the impression that we were trying to build fast cars. :p
Seriously, a 200 hp civic is a quick car. I was merely trying to make a point. Those IC's are crap, and you'd be further ahead with a MK3 Supra or a STARION
IC.
Proof they're crap, please. Don't knock what you haven't tried.

Like I said. If you're on a tight budget, they're perfectly fine. Money to burn, go ahead and get the ULTRA SUPER DUPER MEGA MASTER GREDDY HKS INTERCOOLER SPEC V TYPE R.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
JRC's I will agree look like shit and usually perform like shit. I know of some 350-400whp cars out there with them, but I would never buy one.

I got one off Ebay XO2 Racing and you wouldnt believe the quality. Everyone on here knows I dont buy junk. I am very happy with my Huge IC i got for $250 shipped. I rate it up their with all the Spearco's Ive owned. Just make sure to get the bar and plate version
There is a difference between buying just somethin OK on a budget and buying something that is really well made on a budget. I wouldnt steer you wrong man.
If you ghet the JRC you will just say its ok, good enuff for the money I guess. You get the one Im suggesting you will be extremely surpised

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
itr206 said:
JRC's I will agree look like shit and usually perform like shit. I know of some 350-400whp cars out there with them, but I would never buy one.

I got one off Ebay XO2 Racing and you wouldnt believe the quality. Everyone on here knows I dont buy junk. I am very happy with my Huge IC i got for $250 shipped. I rate it up their with all the Spearco's Ive owned. Just make sure to get the bar and plate version
There is a difference between buying just somethin OK on a budget and buying something that is really well made on a budget. I wouldnt steer you wrong man.
If you ghet the JRC you will just say its ok, good enuff for the money I guess. You get the one Im suggesting you will be extremely surpised
Thats the same one i have on my accord and the quality is very good for the price i paid and it works well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts