Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently made a friend who lives in West Chester, PA. He has a 1970 Mini Cooper with a Type R motor. He's been told by a friend that his ECU is bad, it's a P73 OBD-2. I was hoping to locate a shop or someone that I could give him their number so that he can figure out what's going on with his ECU. Does anyone know of any shops near West Chester, or does anyone on here with ECU knowledge live near there that could maybe help this guy out? Please let me know thanks. -Eli

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah he has an LED light set up that flashes the code numbers to him, but it's not throwing code, and the engine still will not run properly, vtec won't engage. Like i said he was told that the ECU is probably bad, but he wants to make sure it's definitely bad before shelling out the money for another P73 ecu.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
there are no oil lines to operate VTEC on factory-equipped engines like the ITR.

I'm surprised he ever got it to work. Usually you would use a full standalone efi when putting a motor like that into an old carbed car. The worst option possible is to use an OBD2 ecu!!! Those are hard enough to deal with in the cars they came in, let alone an old Mini. He ought to save some coin for an AEM EMS. Yes it's expensive but will not only let him disable any non-essential sensors related to OBD2, but also retune for some more power, and offer expandability for modding later on. As if a Mini with a B18C5 isn't fast enough...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.