Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm coming into a bit of money. I'm going to buy a new intake and some tires, but also considering a tuneable ECU. One shop around here does the Hondata installed and tuned for $500 or I could always save money at another one with Crome tuning software. Is the Hondata really worth all the extra coin? The only things power-wise I'm going to do is bolt ons that are legal for STS classing in autocross, I/H/E/ECU.... the only requirement for the ECU is it be in the stock housing.
Both shops are well known here and do great work, so it doesn't matter which one I go to, I would support either one.

· Registered
512 Posts
I like uberdata but crome is fine. I would never recommend hondata over the freeware because to me, (my opinion) it's the same thing.

If you look hard enough, you probably can score a chipped p28 for less than $100. The rest of the money will go to your tune

· Registered
4,633 Posts
x 2.

Especially since all you have is I/H/E. Whatever tuning you go with, you'll probably only be able to squirt out like another 1-3hp over what you have now, since you likely won't see more than a 10whp gain with those three mods, unless they're race-bred pieces. The stock Honda ECU can deal pretty well with bolt-ons, and you're likely pretty close to being optimized already.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was what I was looking for. I guess I'm going to look into freewares... if the Hondata was really worth it I would shell out for it. I can't go with the P28, it'll have to be the GSR ECU housing to stay legal for my race class. I forgot about Uberdata and Neptune...
Out of the freewares, which does everyone recommend?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Opinions on that are continuously varying. Are you planning on tuning yourself? If not, it doesn't really matter what you want to go with....as long as you have a chipped/socketed OBDI ECU, your tuner can use whatever program they like.

But as for your direct question, Crome Pro is always a good bet. When I was tuned on Uberdata, the mainstream thought was that Uberdata is old, and new patches haven't been released in ages, while Crome is always coming out with new stuff. But I've been reading recently that people are having bug problems with Crome, and are switching back to the older and more reliable Uberdata.

If you're tuning yourself, search for those kinds of threads and try to form an opinion of all the different softwares (Neptune, Crome, Crome Pro, Uberdata, ECTune, others...). Find out what the user interface is like, what support there is for it etc.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey you guys all sound like you know what you are talking about. And that is what i am looking for. I just bought a 2000 GSR with a turbonetics turbo and well lets just say all the goods, but still needs tuned its only running a base map. The piggy back is a Crome. I was looking at taking it to Slowmotion in columbus and they wanted me to go to hondata and I am just looking to be able to drive it on a regular basis and try to stay around like 300hp can you give me any direction.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Look around your area for OBD1 Chip tuners. If you're out of luck, you may have to go with Hondata. Figure out how far you're willing to travel to get tuned, and see if you can find a Crome/Uberdata/etc. tuner within that area.

· Registered
512 Posts
Hey you guys all sound like you know what you are talking about. And that is what i am looking for. I just bought a 2000 GSR with a turbonetics turbo and well lets just say all the goods, but still needs tuned its only running a base map. The piggy back is a Crome. I was looking at taking it to Slowmotion in columbus and they wanted me to go to hondata and I am just looking to be able to drive it on a regular basis and try to stay around like 300hp can you give me any direction.
1st. Welcome to the forum
2nd. fill in your profile so members can get to know you and better help with your questions...

3rd. I assume you're from ohio......
I did a quick search and found:
Rick Williams
Raceline...FINE TUNED
http://www.racelinetuning.com
Cincinnati Ohio
5 1 3 . 8 7 0 . 0 9 9 9
In House Mustang Dyno

· Registered
512 Posts
website doesn't seem to working check out:
Adrien Seguy
OBDI/OBD0 ECU chipping
wideband street tuning and dyno tuning available.
Lots of experience with turbo/NA hondas/DSMs/Domestics
Chicago and Central Missouri areas.

email: [email protected] or PM me on Honda-tech at adseguy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.