Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmunds Acura RDX first drive

Developed in conjunction with Mitsubishi, this variable-flow turbo is meant to combine the best qualities of small and large turbos. Electronically controlled, a special valve increases exhaust gas velocity into the turbo housing at low speeds by restricting the inlet area, enabling the impeller to speed up more quickly. At higher engine speeds where gas flow is abundant, the valve opens progressively to maintain optimum flow.
The 2007 Acura RDX represents the latest morph of the SUV. It looks like an SUV and it's called an SUV, but it drives and functions pretty much like a premium four-door hatchback. No matter what description is used, this new Acura should appeal to those looking for a vehicle that's fun to drive and possesses more utility than the average sedan.
Think Shaun Alexander in tights. Acura stylists wanted to create a taut, armored exterior, one described as being like a pad-wearing running back
Me likey... :clap

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
when will it be at the lot? i wanna test drive it...been considering it since hearing the news...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
accordjtstyle said:
yeah, but it has available paddleshifters.
i think that's all that we need...well, as of right now...but 6sp manual will make me be in heaven :D :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
WOW I'm shocked that they didn't do the reclining back seats. They should have known better. One of the hottest comfort/convenience features for passengers in the last few years have been the reclining second row seats in small SUVs. To me, forgetting that feature is well, like forgetting to put a steering wheel in the car.

It sounds like it would be a very nice vehicle to drive, but honestly, mid 30k's might get you something with more...utility, if you will. I think the reason everyone is so excited is because it's a turbo four from Honda with AWD.

Props to Acura for filling a gap in their lineup, but I think they missed the mark a bit. I hope their sales go well, nevertheless.

·
Registered
425 Posts
how do they make their first turbo ever, and not give the chance to drive it using three pedals??? rediculous, they have to realize who they are catering to-enthusiasts.. sure some ppl like thinking they are an F1 racer, but there are plenty of ppl who woud like to run it through 6 gears using a clutch and a conventional shifter.
they should introduce the transmission option the year later...
and when is someone gonna swap one of those motors into a prelude???? pleasseee somebody rich try it out!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
mikesta21 said:
how do they make their first turbo ever, and not give the chance to drive it using three pedals??? rediculous, they have to realize who they are catering to-enthusiasts.. sure some ppl like thinking they are an F1 racer, but there are plenty of ppl who woud like to run it through 6 gears using a clutch and a conventional shifter.
and when is someone gonna swap one of those motors into a prelude???? pleasseee somebody rich try it out!
FYI the RDX is not the first production turbo Honda, that title belongs to the City. the RDX is not even the first Honda with a variable flow turbo either, back in 89 i think, Honda developed the "Wing Turbo" for the Legend.

·
Registered
866 Posts
mikesta21 said:

i highly doubt honda had enthusiasts at the top of their list during their r&d for the RDX. this is a sub-compact etnry level luxury SUV, not a sports car.

·
Registered
425 Posts
this is true, but the first turbo honda in NA, whether the forced induction was used for economy or for sport(or both as honda would do), i would have simply figured that if they bothered to make it the first turbo we could get our hands on, i would have thought they would give us the standard. obviously if they have the paddle shifter option, i dont think they have totally overlooked car enthusiasts. after all, if the buyer was a soccer mom type i would say they would grab the mdx.
its just the rdx, to me, from what ive seen, looks me to like a semi-sporty vehicle that 6spd would be an option. looking back now, i must have forgotten the "luxury" end of this car, because in my mind i was thinking how car based/smaller suvs like the subaru forester have std as an option, why shouldnt this smaller suv w/ a turbo have one? guess i overlooked the luxury part.
thats where my thinking came from anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
brady33 said:
WOW I'm shocked that they didn't do the reclining back seats. They should have known better. One of the hottest comfort/convenience features for passengers in the last few years have been the reclining second row seats in small SUVs. To me, forgetting that feature is well, like forgetting to put a steering wheel in the car.

It sounds like it would be a very nice vehicle to drive, but honestly, mid 30k's might get you something with more...utility, if you will. I think the reason everyone is so excited is because it's a turbo four from Honda with AWD.

Props to Acura for filling a gap in their lineup, but I think they missed the mark a bit. I hope their sales go well, nevertheless.
I agree, even the lowest model of the first generation CR-V LX's had reclining rear seats. The $30k price point was a bit much for the TSX too but people seem to be willing to buy. The turbo will be a hit only if it will actually give you the power of a V6 but closer to the fuel economy of an I-4. Honda has some good smooth I-4s but a sharp driver behind the wheel can easily tell the differences in smoothness and refinement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.