Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any special types of fabrication involved in pulling the motor out of an 89 and putting it into a 96? I have a chance to basically be given a motor and just wanted to know. It won't be permanent it's just something to get the car running until I can save up for what I want to do in the end.

·
Registered
17,589 Posts
if the motor from the EF is a singlecam, and the motor currently in the EK is a singlecam, then it will drop right in if im not mistaken. You will probably have to do an OBD conversion, since the EF chassis uses OBD-0 and EK's use OBD-2

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You'll have to use the manifold and cat off your 96 just to make it easy, the intake manifold off your 96, the distributor off from your 96. You will also need to use the mounts off your 96 and bolt them on the EF motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
96civic3door said:
It's not worth it to swap motors from what you have to that.
I know it's not worth it performance wise. I'm just tryin to get the car running so I can move it around without pushing it wherever I need it until I decide what motor to swap in. I'm basically getting the motor for free. The guy said I could have it for nothing if I come pull it and $50 bucks if he pulls it for me. I'm not too concerned with power gains at this moment. It just needs to run until I can put full attention and flow cash to it.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
what exact car is the engine being pulled from like what trim level. If you can get the engine id number I would be able to help you a lil more

·
Registered
17,589 Posts
xxxdoc said:
you are a real fucking asshole you know that? You had you're retarded post about what swap to get and talk about racing down california at 120 mph, and then you come into someone elses thread to mock them? Wow, thats totally not cool.

neg repped

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
that is a terrible idea. you're going to have a helluva time getting an ef motor to run, and you're going to have to hack up your wiring harness to do it.

i would rather walk, take the bus, ride a bike and save my money rather than waste my time and all the headaches this would cause...

:td :td definitely not something i would do

what's wrong with the engine that's in the car now? and why can't you fix that instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IISaiNtII said:
that is a terrible idea. you're going to have a helluva time getting an ef motor to run, and you're going to have to hack up your wiring harness to do it.

i would rather walk, take the bus, ride a bike and save my money rather than waste my time and all the headaches this would cause...

:td :td definitely not something i would do

what's wrong with the engine that's in the car now? and why can't you fix that instead.
This is why I was asking what all would be involved. I could fix the one that's in the car now but it's going to cost more to fix the one that's in it than I could probably find another 1.6 for. Right now I'm just checking out all of my options and deciding whether or not I actually wanna spend the money to rebuild this car or just part it all out and use the money to put towards a project that already runs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
its easy I have it in my 95

k here the deal...take the older motor ef, hopefully d16a6, if its a d15b2 then it will suck....lol d16a6 will rip....way better than a y7....get a z6 or y8 tranny to go with it and you have a base for a nice setup...what all is involved...take the intake manifold off your 96 motor and the exhaust....and sensors....remaing, keep your wiring harness intact....put the ef motor in with your intake mani and exhaust mani....there will be a two prong fitting on the back of the block for the ef....(do not use) if at all possible switchover your tube from the waterjacket and the thermostat off you 96 this is where you willplug in for the fan relay....if not just hard wire the fan relay to a switch...after that hook up remaining sensors on to the new motor....most sensors are on the intake and exhaust side ....and bam set timing with the obd2 distributor and your done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
you do know that when switching intake and exhaust manis it gives the old motor the emissions ability of a newer motor....correct? being that the crankcase vent an egr valve are on all d series...ive never had a problem with mine its been emissioned twice and has passed with flying covers everytime....so check with state regs like cali i know it would be illegal...but not in georgia

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
bennyhonda7 said:
you do know that when switching intake and exhaust manis it gives the old motor the emissions ability of a newer motor....correct? being that the crankcase vent an egr valve are on all d series...ive never had a problem with mine its been emissioned twice and has passed with flying covers everytime....so check with state regs like cali i know it would be illegal...but not in georgia
it is illegal to put an older motor in a newer car no matter where you are. They only check the vin number and do the emissions test. they don't look at the motor code on the motor. if they did and knew what the codes was supposed to be they'd look it up and then fail you.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
98civcEK said:
it is illegal to put an older motor in a newer car no matter where you are. They only check the vin number and do the emissions test. they don't look at the motor code on the motor. if they did and knew what the codes was supposed to be they'd look it up and then fail you.

not everyone has emissions and inspections you do realize this right? :bash

also to those saying that "he will need to switch obd's or hack up his harness" isnt necessarily true, as long as he uses his original Intake Manifold and sensors it should work, i think the alignment of the drivers side mounts are going to be a little different but thats a easy switch from block to block.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bullshit

bullshit, i know many people with older motors in newer cars ie...90 mustangs with 84/85 5.0s civics 92-95 with zc motors from 88-89 integras,jdm zcs, some 95 with 91 b16's etc....not illegal where im from, shit our chief of police has a 1992 mustang gt with a 429 in it and is street legal....shit show me where a 429 came in anything in 1992

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
In most places it is illegal. Do you have emissions testing in your area? If not people can get away with it becuase noone will ever look. Besides, who's going to bust the Chief of Police??? Come on.

I've driven for 1.5 years w/o a catalytic converter, just because I do it doesn't mean its legal. It's a Federal law, but requires local enforcement. If local law doesn't care enough then you can skate by that way.

Not trying to flame, but you posted earlier about an A6 being way better than a Y7. I'd love to know in what way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. This is really helping me out alot. I'm not concerned about the emissions here because our cars don't get tested or inspected in Mississippi. My Mazdaspeed Protege (Yeah I own a Mazda and a Honda :)) is catless and I don't ever have to worry about anything being said about it. I was just trying to see if the swap was do-able or if I should just not even worry about this car and part it out until I could find a better platform to start from.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.