Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one how to read the Exhaust temp gauge? i heard it was 1550 + is lean and anything under 1200 is rich. anyone know for sure?? thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
No that is not ture.. What is your setup and what car do you have? I believe different setup in your engine will be different...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2000 si. setup is stock boost with delta wastegate. thanx

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i heard about that, but too bad i dont have money right now. thanx for the tip. so wassup?? anyone knows about EGT???

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do know that if its over 1600 degrees your running lean.

Blaze

·
Registered
909 Posts
Eh, actually running too rich can lead to excessively high temps as well as the excess gas is ignited on its way out of the engine and heats the probe... An EGT gauge gives you an idea if something is wrong, but you need a wideband if you really want accuracy. Don't tune by an EGT ;) Good luck

BTW I saw some complete FJO wideband setups for like 480 or something... the url was like widebandsensors.com or something like that. Really good investment

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see this is the shit i dont get. everyone that posts on this board says ..........."yea go get a egt with your turbo kit, it'll let you know dah dah and dah!"

then when i post this thread up nobody has a clue what the egt gauge does!!! WTF!!!!!!!! can someone please find out!!!!!

sorry for the attitude!! and this post is not directed towards anyone! thanx!!!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would like to know this also. Is there not some way of saying well if your at this degree something is wrong or something is fixing to melt and if you are at this degree then you are safe, but maybe not tuned perfectly. Anyone???

·
Registered
909 Posts
Something is wrong if you are running too hot or too cold, you just can't tell for sure what it is. It's a good warning device, not a tuning device. Hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
skibbs said:
Something is wrong if you are running too hot or too cold, you just can't tell for sure what it is. It's a good warning device, not a tuning device. Hope this helps ;)
OK! then what makes the air/fuel guage so bad then?? the a/f gauge is not as acurrate but whats the point if i cant tune with either?? damn should of saved my money shit.

once again........ this is not directed towards any particular person.....its to all who have said "go get the egt gauge its way better than the a/f gauge!"

·
Registered
419 Posts
Look at it this way when you have owned for it awhile or have done tuning with it in the car, you will find out what it should read under boost, so if it starts getting real hot or something when your racing you will know something is not right and you will back off before detonation occurs to badly, At www.h.o.n.d.a-.t.e.c.h.com (take out the dots)they have the same thread though I believe it has more informative answers. HTH

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's the theoretical value

But yes, EGT will vary from engine to engine, weather, driving conditions, and A/F mixture.

On top of that, where you put your sensor will affect what temperature you get.

·
Registered
909 Posts
WeaselGSR said:
That's the theoretical value

But yes, EGT will vary from engine to engine, weather, driving conditions, and A/F mixture.

On top of that, where you put your sensor will affect what temperature you get.
Yup... You will not receive any accurate information about how to tune with an EGT guage. It is a warning device, NOT a tuning device... An A/F guage that uses a narrowband O2 sensor is NOT a tuning device... People use these gauges to alert them to problems. Wideband O2 sensors are the only accurate way to tune your A/F ratio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts