Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
49,788 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions.

What do you think is the most cost-effective mod for an EK?
suspension
anything else wont be worth your time unless you plan on building the D series engine for boost

· Registered
41,903 Posts
depends what your looking for. I am running d2 coilovers, omnipower lower control arms, omnipower upper control arms (camber kit), and it all ran me around $1k. The car handles so much better than stock, and im running a 4" drop.

If you want it to go a bit faster, a header would give you significant gains. If thats your car in your sig, i assume you have an EX, so you already have the best D series transmission and intake manifold. Regular bolt ons will improve performance, but not significantly. You're better off swapping the motor, or boosting it if you want to have worthwhile gains

· Registered
49,788 Posts
but what brand suspension?
depends on what youre looking for
everyone has their own preference
theres tein, skunk2, omnipower, ground control, koni

the list goes one, i would read the stickies though, there is a lot more to just springs, struts, and coilovers

· Registered
41,903 Posts
depends on what youre looking for
everyone has their own preference
theres tein, skunk2, omnipower, ground control, koni

the list goes one, i would read the stickies though, there is a lot more to just springs, struts, and coilovers
x2. coilovers are the best choice in my opinion just because the spring is matched to the damper, and you have as much flexibility as you want as far as ride height goes, and a lot of coilovers have adjustable dampers so you can change how stiff you want it to ride. But, coilovers cost more than a simple strut/spring setup.

Also, it hasnt been mentioned, but get some sway bars if you plan on building the suspension. I don't have any, but i wish i did have them, it's the weakest link in my suspension setup. What's good about the EK chassis, is you can use GSR sway bars if youre on a budget.. Otherwise, you can find aftermarket ones for around $300 a set.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
depends what your looking for. I am running d2 coilovers, omnipower lower control arms, omnipower upper control arms (camber kit), and it all ran me around $1k. The car handles so much better than stock, and im running a 4" drop.

If you want it to go a bit faster, a header would give you significant gains. If thats your car in your sig, i assume you have an EX, so you already have the best D series transmission and intake manifold. Regular bolt ons will improve performance, but not significantly. You're better off swapping the motor, or boosting it if you want to have worthwhile gains
yea thats my ex in the sig.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
yea thats my ex in the sig.
anything done to it now?

I definitely would recommend doing the suspension first. I did intake/header/exhaust and removed the cat as my first mods, and it really didn't do much for the car but make it louder and maybe give it 20 extra hp. After i lowered it, it was like i had a totally different car.

You cant ever go wrong with suspension. As it is, the stock civic suspension is very simple and basic.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anything done to it now?

I definitely would recommend doing the suspension first. I did intake/header/exhaust and removed the cat as my first mods, and it really didn't do much for the car but make it louder and maybe give it 20 extra hp. After i lowered it, it was like i had a totally different car.

You cant ever go wrong with suspension. As it is, the stock civic suspension is very simple and basic.
everything thats done is exterior, at first i didnt have enough money to afford under the hood stuff, but i guess were working the same way. im working on a CAI, exhaust, and header. Just need to remember what brands and such so i can order them all. i have it written down somewhere, its just lost in the mess lol. i wasnt really thinking much about suspension work (just cause i dont know very much about that stuff). And of course a turbo is a very, very , very far off DREAM (sighs). lol.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh and about lowering it, im not sure if thats possible on my car, cause ive felt the tires rub once. lol but it would look sexy, but if i was going to lower it i think id do tein coilovers

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well make sure you research brands and reviews before you buy something
this has saved me many of a times
oh yea, definately, definatelty. thats probably another reason why ive waited to get anything under-hood. i get freaked about parts and look in like a hundred and fifty places for reviews, including here lol

· Registered
49,788 Posts
oh and about lowering it, im not sure if thats possible on my car, cause ive felt the tires rub once. lol but it would look sexy, but if i was going to lower it i think id do tein coilovers
i recommend downgrading the wheels to a 15 or 16

· Registered
41,903 Posts
yeah, are those 17's?

I had 17's on my civic when i first bought it, and i rubbed a little bit sometimes, but it also made it handle like shit. I threw 14" stock steelies on there and it accelerated a lot faster, and handled better. Now i have 15" wheels, and my tire size is 195/50/15. With a 4" drop, i dont rub at all unless i have someone else in the car and turn really hard.

If you don't have much experience modding yet, i would stick to throwing on the bolt ons you mentioned (intake, header, exhaust). It will give you some experience, and while you're under there you can just get familiar with how everything connects in your suspension.

Definitely pick up a service manual for your car too, just reading it and looking over topics will help you get more familiar with how things work, and how to replace things if you want to upgrade them, or they just need replaced.

One word of advice with the bolt ons, i wouldnt spend any more than $100 on an intake, and i definitely wouldn't spend $300 or more on a header. The gains you get from the parts are definitely not worth spending a lot of money on.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
actually thats the weird thing, theyre 16s not 17s. and the tire size is 205 but i dont remember the other two #s right now.

youve got alot of good advice, thanks alot. plus uve got a nice car
yeah 16's aren't going to affect your performance that much, i know 17's were a bitch, but I've never had an issue with 16's. 205 width on the tires is probably why you're rubbing a little bit. i have 195 width tires and i don't think its worth going any bigger, but that's just my personal preference. If you end up lowering it, you are limited by that wheel/tire size as far as how low you can go, but you don't need a huge drop to have awesome ride quality, the key is in the suspension components and how well they all work together.

hey crimson, random question...is that ur 97 civ in your sig? if so, did you do a whole front end conversion to get that bumper?
Yeah that's my coupe. I had to do the whole front end conversion. The bumper itself wont fit with the other 96-98 components. The top grill is a lot longer, and the headlights are at a sharper angle, so the headlights wont even fit with the bumper. The hood doesnt fit with the grill and the headlights either.

If you want to do the conversion, its really easy. Everything bolts on. If you plan on using the 96-98 rad support, you can, but there are 2 metal tabs that the 96-98 bumper clips on to that get in the way of the 99-00. You can just cut part of them off and it fits perfectly. I ended up swapping rad supports anyway though because mine was all fucked up from the previous owner. I wouldn't recommend swapping the rad support unless you totally have to, or you are good at welding.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea i was gonna get the bumper bc i liked the way the fog lights looked, but when i found out i had to do the whole conversion i said fuck it. I just bought the square fogs for the 97 last week, im waitin for em to get here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.