Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up i'm new here, i drive a 96 civic ex coupe and i gotta a question for you guys, i've been lookin at electric turbo's that go on your aftermarket intake and supposedly work like a normal trubo, has anyone had any experience with these? do they work well? do they damage anything? and is it worth $50 or $60?

·
Registered
836 Posts
no they aren't worth 5 dollars. You'll get about 2 whp if that. Do a search on SHO this has been covered a bunch of times.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
don't waste your money or time man. These things are actually for boat motors. Someone actually did a couple dyno runs with one and it gained about 2whp up until 4000 rpm's and then it started to actually loose hp and tq

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
probinu said:
don't waste your money or time man. These things are actually for boat motors. Someone actually did a couple dyno runs with one and it gained about 2whp up until 4000 rpm's and then it started to actually loose hp and tq
Actually it does help but the fact that it is powered does set it back. The things you do see on tv do work for the fact the air spins it creating a swirl in teh air which helps deliver the air to each port better and more smooth. The fact that the power one sucks is that after a certin amount of rpm in slows teh air down instead of increasing it. Look at how a turbo works, more exhaust pressure the more the turbine spins. Vortech, same principle ( i dont feel liek going into deatil about that). But teh fact is the one on tv will increase power more so in bigger motors then 4cyl. But you can expect to gain 10hp.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Like the saying goes, you get what you pay for... why waste $50 or $60 on something that doesn't even work... save the dough and buy a better mod later... as for the homemade turbo page, great idea if you are VERY mechanically inclined... that page is not for the majority of us who know how to install a CAI, but not how to rebuild a head and more complicated things like that... whatever you decide to do, just know that you could serious damage your engine if you hook up something the wrong way

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think I'm stripping the gears in my brainbox on this one... but here's a wacko idea:

Use some kind of high CFM blower to linearly increase low-end power and a bypass at high-RPM (maybe actuated by the VTEC solenoid?)

Owww... my head hurts...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
bov- for vtec..wtf, when vtec engages u want as much air and fuel in teh chambers as possible, u dont want to release air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.