Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen those electronic turbochargers on ebay for like fifty bucks? Do they really work or whats the deal? The descripition about them makes sense. It goes into your intake system. Does anybody know the deal on these things or has used them befor?

· Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, it could make power, but fans tend to draw a lot of amperage. Your alternator would be putting out much more amperage than normal. This higher amperage draw from the alternator makes it harder for the engine to turn it.

Thus, the power that is gained from an electric turbocharger would most likely not be seen due to the added rotational resistance from the alternator.

It's kinda like when you put your AC on, and you notice a loss of power. The AC compressor adds rotational resistance just like an alternator would if more current was being drawn from it.

You could probably power the electric turbocharger with an additional car battery in the trunk. Power gains would be noticed then. The turbo charger motor would definetly need to be mated to a gear box in order to get sufficient boost. The only down side is, you'll only get boost when the battery is charged. It would be like having NOS, when the battery is outta juice you have to recharge it. Actually its probably better than NOS because you won't have to pay to recharge it.

I might have to try this myself!!

hope this helps.

· Registered
14,616 Posts
smokingsr said:
Yeah, it could make power, but fans tend to draw a lot of amperage. Your alternator would be putting out much more amperage than normal. This higher amperage draw from the alternator makes it harder for the engine to turn it.

Thus, the power that is gained from an electric turbocharger would most likely not be seen due to the added rotational resistance from the alternator.

It's kinda like when you put your AC on, and you notice a loss of power. The AC compressor adds rotational resistance just like an alternator would if more current was being drawn from it.

You could probably power the electric turbocharger with an additional car battery in the trunk. Power gains would be noticed then. The turbo charger motor would definetly need to be mated to a gear box in order to get sufficient boost. The only down side is, you'll only get boost when the battery is charged. It would be like having NOS, when the battery is outta juice you have to recharge it. Actually its probably better than NOS because you won't have to pay to recharge it.

I might have to try this myself!!

hope this helps.
dude, no. do not waste your time. and NOS makes nitrous systems.;)

· Registered
297 Posts
clayton said:
and NOS makes nitrous systems.;)
Popular usage. Do you call a medical adhesive strip a medical adhesive strip or a Band-Aid? Do you call polystyrene polystyrene or Styrofoam? Do you call soda pop soda pop or Coke? I think that popular usage has turned NOS from a company that makes NO2 systems to the term for it. It happens all the time in the US. Don't mean to go off, but I had a DB correct me on this the other day trying to be a smart guy, and then he couldn't tell me what a valve did. Plus, I know you can take it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.