Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Elimate Water Pump --- MORE REACTION!!!

Don't know if this is done before, probably ... but I have too many restrictions to browse around the internet at work. However, since our engine has too many accessories driven by the crank pulley, many people free what we all know = the balancing shafts.

***Before turbo I'm taking them off and balancing the whole engine*** ;)

However, there is another accessory that acts as a bigger resistance than the Power Steering Pump and A/C Compressor and it is our Water Pump!!! :noo

Have anyone done a pump conversion? :confused Since I'm installing the AEM Cam Gears (5 bolt :btu) and at the same time converting to a manual H23, I'm thinking might as well replace the Water Pump with an electrical one and instead install a dummy "friction free" gear to make for the space that the water pump occupied. I'm not sure how much Flow Rate does the water pump pushes, if I did I would know approximate horsepower the engine may free.

Any ideas? :number1

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
to me this is one of the absolute last things to do. when i may have exhausted all of my options to make more power converting to an electric pump and a dry sump are at the end of the list.

i know it doesnt pertain to preludes but i know at least 5 people who used to go to the local drag track that had nothing but problems with thier electric water pumps. one kid i knew well sais he would rather run the stock pump that leaked all over his optispark (camaro) then keep the piece of shit miezer pump.

anyway its all up to you. just my thoughts

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
and the oil pump. that thing is robbing gobs of horsepower. just get rid of it.

while we're at it, lets get rid of the radiator. Its just full of water which just adds weight. I mean who needs water in an engine anyway

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty Annoyed...

h22lude said:
and the oil pump. that thing is robbing gobs of horsepower. just get rid of it.

while we're at it, lets get rid of the radiator. Its just full of water which just adds weight. I mean who needs water in an engine anyway
Ok, I'll just make sure to give you a call and get a 2" diameter hose and stick it up your ass for water heating solution. :lol2 Dude, seriously... I've seen most of your comments all over SHO which I don't know if you do 'em just to keep accummulating posts :ahh conserve the stupid comments if they actually don't help the thread Ooooooooooook, that was reliefing...:chair

Rick V said:
to me this is one of the absolute last things to do. when i may have exhausted all of my options to make more power converting to an electric pump and a dry sump are at the end of the list.

i know it doesnt pertain to preludes but i know at least 5 people who used to go to the local drag track that had nothing but problems with thier electric water pumps. one kid i knew well sais he would rather run the stock pump that leaked all over his optispark (camaro) then keep the piece of shit miezer pump.

anyway its all up to you. just my thoughts
Hmmmmmmmmmm... so it has been done. Thanks for the advice, but don't let the experience of another person stop you from thinking this through. Just went to my country's racing forum and spoke with a dude who had it in his CRX and lived 20 mins away from my house, sooooooooo just came from his house. :clap I must say that it is a great MOD, he had 2 CRX's (couldn't hessitate if he wanted to sell the other one and he told me that he is building it with a K series and making it street illegal :ninja ). Anyways, he wanted me to get in the car without looking at the engine compartments, the guy is pretty cool... he let me drive them :w00t ... Instantly!!!! You could feel the loss in torque and acceleration on the CRX without the Water Pump at the stock compartment. Browsed through both motors and they were pretty much stock. He had this "miniscule" pump installed somewhere in the middle top compartment of the transmission to prevent volumetric flow losses due to long hoses. It actually looked good!!!

There is almost 2 Gallons of water being pushed to the engine's compartment using 1/4" outside diameter hoses leading to a lot of pressure put into the pump resulting in force extracted from the crank pulley.

I HAVE GOT TO GET IN DEPTH ON THIS SUBJECT!!!! :bounce Is pretty inexpensive to do, you just need to get the right pump :btu

About leaking, it appears to me that the person that did this may have got a pump that may not give the m^3/s the engine need resulting in overflow and where there is overflow to a maximum, the pressure will leave anywhere it can, and it will. Gaskets maybe... but I'm certain that if you are lucky enough to get a pump that can actually do the same work the stock one does there shouldn't be any problems. Is actually the same thing in terms of work!!!

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
Ok, I'll just make sure to give you a call and get a 2" diameter hose and stick it up your ass for water heating solution. :lol2 Dude, seriously... I've seen most of your comments all over SHO which I don't know if you do 'em just to keep accummulating posts :ahh conserve the stupid comments if they actually don't help the thread Ooooooooooook, that was reliefing...:chair

chill. When you've been here as long as I have, you'll see alllll the thread like this where people get excited over stuff like this. Its funny.

basically what I was saying is its a bad idea.(i'm not sure if you missed the sarcasm or it just went over your head or what) Do other stuff to gain power rather then worrying about this. need more?

Person: acquaintance, aaron
car: 99 prelude
idea: swap an electric water pump
performance outcome: gained a net total of .3 hp on the dyno
mechanical outcome: pump went out and he fried the engine

true story.

Have you really exhausted all other posibilities to gain power? honestly

You can't get something for nothing. Why should a mechanically driven water impeller necessarily be less efficient than an electrically powered one? The latter has to convert mechanical energy to electrical energy, transmit it to another component, convert it back to mechanical energy and drive a motor which turns the impeller which pushes the water. These conversions cannot be 100% efficient.
Alternator power is not free: the higher the electrical load on the alternator, the harder it is to turn. This saps engine power. The claim of net power savings would appear to be a scam on the order of "cold fusion".

conclusion: Why is swapping the mechanical water pump to a electric water pump a bad idea? because its obviously a bad idea. and next time, take my post as is so we dont have to go through this again, kthnxbye

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
h22lude said:
chill. When you've been here as long as I have, you'll see alllll the thread like this where people get excited over stuff like this. Its funny.

basically what I was saying is its a bad idea.(i'm not sure if you missed the sarcasm or it just went over your head or what) Do other stuff to gain power rather then worrying about this. need more?

Person: acquaintance, aaron
car: 99 prelude
idea: swap an electric water pump
performance outcome: gained a net total of .3 hp on the dyno
mechinal outcome: pump went out and he fried the engine

true story.
I'm chilled... :mad But wasn't this a better statement than the one you made earlier, and of course more productive? I'm sarcastic as well but wanted to prove my point. ;) You're right about the mechanical energy conversion but the purpose of the MOD is for not to have loss of energy on the main component by using another device to deal with the dynamic flow and losses.
h22lude said:
Ooooooook that was relieving
Sorry for the wrong written word, fast fingers as well as secondary Language. Could you write relieve in spanish without a dictionary? :aww

Get some LOVIN' :hug

P.S.
A mechanical pump is more reliable than an electrical pump that's for sure. I need to give some good thoughts on this. But tell me something, even though it gives you only 0.3 hp like you say... having a faster reaction acceleration isn't a plus? :giggle

• Lightweight Flywheel doesn't increase horsepower but it eliminates inertia(resistance to movement), resulting in faster acceleration = better reaction.
  • LSD doesn't increase horsepower but it defenitely helps in the reaction of the car resulting in lowering a couple of seconds in the 1/4 mile.

I'm telling you man... reaction is a plus... just experienced it, first I just swapped a Quaife LSD into my M2Y2 H22A Tranny... and today the coolest guy I've met let me drive both of his CRX's, you feel the pull with just this little MOD. Yes... no horsepower but faster acceleration?

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
I'm chilled... :mad But wasn't this a better statement than the one you made earlier, and of course more productive? I'm sarcastic as well but wanted to prove my point. ;) You're right about the mechanical energy conversion but the purpose of the MOD is for not to have loss of energy on the main component by using another device to deal with the dynamic flow and losses.

honestly I liked my first post better. I thought it got my point across rather well in a humorous and enjoyable manor. btw: calling out my posts as stupid doesn't help validate yours.

Sorry for the wrong written word, fast fingers as well as secondary Language. Could you write relieve in spanish without a dictionary? :aww
Mmk, since english is your second language you get off the hook for that. But just this once. I'm a third year spanish student, but I would not be able to make posts like this without some trouble. so props to you there

Get some LOVIN' :hug
i live with my girlfriend, i get all the lovin i need ;)

P.S.
A mechanical pump is more reliable than an electrical pump that's for sure. I need to give some good thoughts on this. But tell me something, even though it gives you only 0.3 hp like you say... having a faster reaction acceleration isn't a plus? :giggle
i just dont see risking a failure of an electrical fuel pump especially on a street car. Its just not worth it to me, but its your car so you can do what you want with it.

• Lightweight Flywheel doesn't increase horsepower but it eliminates inertia(resistance to movement), resulting in faster acceleration = better reaction.
  • LSD doesn't increase horsepower but it defenitely helps in the reaction of the car resulting in lowering a couple of seconds in the 1/4 mile.
thats true, but you specifically asked about horsepower, so thats what i answered.

Its your job now to weigh the decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.