Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i was driving my moms 4 door 1992 honda accord EX to the airport in atlanta in the HOV lane yesterday, i had the baby on cruise control and was driving along. suddenly i notice the rpm meter start going NUTS, speinnign around and going up and down and such, and suddenly it went to 0. shortly after, maybe 5-10 seconds later, the cruise control cuts off, i figure the cruise was having problems so i apply my foot to the gas as the speed is dropping from 75 mph (major highway mind you) anyways the speed is dropping and im trying to speed up but pressing the gas does NOT increase speed, so im thinking shit, the car is dead, but the engine is still on. anyways i try to get into the shoulder, but since its atlanta, and traffic is nuts, of course i dont make it, and instead the car comes to a stop in the center lane (*sigh*) i also smell smoke but dont see any. i turn the car off, call the cops, and the use a big ass truck to move my car into the shoulder, i then tow the car home and have to take it to the shop tomorrow to see whats wrong. now i dont know much about cars, hoever i dont want to get hosed by the mechanics, so i need rough guesstimates on what the problem is. the tow truck guy said his guess was fuel pump, but i dont really trust him, he seemed like a weirdo. anyways, i gotta take the car in a little after Noon tomorrow, so hopefully there will be some ideas on whats wrong before then, i really could use any ideas at all guys, and rough estimates on repair costs before i take it in.

Thanks a ton!

:bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh

·
Registered
89 Posts
same problem

i had that problem with my 3rd gen accord... the spedo and the tach went crazy then to nothing. i thought it was the spedo cable but it ended up being the passanger cv shaft poping halfway out and strpped out all of the gears other than reverse.. the mechanic said he never saw anything like it. insted of replacing the tranny ($1300to replace w/rebuilt trans 650 for a used one installed no warranty) the car already had 240000 miles on it so i just sold it and got the 5th gen.... not much help just thought i was the only one who had this problem

·
Registered
230 Posts
trans failure?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I would go with fuel pump, if your tranny was dying pressing the gas would rev the engine high, did you try to restart the car after you turned it off. My wife's car (Nissan Altima) did the same thing and after restarting the engine worked fine, turned out the EVAP system was fucked and that bogged down the engine

·
Registered
230 Posts
i think he said it didn't increase speed, but if the rpms go up with no speed increase then I would bet that the trans is bad....

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
JOEL2112 said:
i think he said it didn't increase speed, but if the rpms go up with no speed increase then I would bet that the trans is bad....

he didnt really say what happened to the engine when he got on the gas... if nothing happened i would say it was the throttle cable, but if it revved and didnt go faster i would say its trans...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump or throttle cable to me. both of those should be pretty easy/cheap to fix
could it maybe be the distributor? mine died on me once, but everything kinda died and rpm went to zero and engine shut off, so i dont think its that. go with my first guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts