Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Engine Conversions...D16ZC VTEC

12K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  liquidblue 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to slap a D16Z6 VTEC head on a D16ZC? I'm getting yes and no's. People are saying yeah, no problem because it's a D-series engine. People say no, because the head gasket won't align. Does anyone know the truth on whether or not it can be done?

Thanks.

#3 ·
The mini-me is actually a D15B7 (1.5L) with a VTEC head. So if you consider the D16ZC is the same block as a D15B7 then it should work.

Question is: WHY? Why remove the DOHC ZC head to replace it with a SOHC VTEC? It'll probably be worth the same thing as swapping in a D16Z6 anyway.

If I were a mad scientist I'd try to see if there was a way to convert the DOHC ZC to a DOHC VTEC head. Either by changing the internals or trying to fit the B series head onto a D series block.

#5 ·
the d16z6 and d16y8 sohc vtec heads fit on the sohc zc motor easily. it's actually better to run the y8 head because of the better combustion chamber and the better intake manifold. also the y8 head is supposed to increase the compression to 11:1 or something... anyone know more about the compression increase? tell me if i'm wrong... it's one of the major reasons i'd do the swap...

#6 ·
Re: D16ZC

KpGeNKei said:
I was referring to a D16ZC SOHC engine. I was informed there is a D16ZC DOHC and a SOHC.
I was referring to pop a D16Z6 Vtec head on a D16ZC SOHC block.
Can it be done?
No such thing called the D16ZC.... it's a D16A8/A9.... and is also referred to as the ZC (don't ask me why this is...).... Yes, it can be done. But to mini-me a SOHC ZC is not really ideal. It would be too much hassle for not alot of power increase. I suggest swapping the ZC or D16Z6

#12 ·
No such thing called the D16ZC.... it's a D16A8/A9.... and is also referred to as the ZC (don't ask me why this is...).... Yes, it can be done. But to mini-me a SOHC ZC is not really ideal. It would be too much hassle for not alot of power increase. I suggest swapping the ZC or D16Z6
i've got a D16ZC sitting on the floor in my garage and thats what the badge says in the front of the engine...

#7 ·
KpGeNKei said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to slap a D16Z6 VTEC head on a D16ZC? I'm getting yes and no's. People are saying yeah, no problem because it's a D-series engine. People say no, because the head gasket won't align. Does anyone know the truth on whether or not it can be done?

Thanks.
you mean is it possibel to put a D16Z6 head on a ZC block?
no it isn't. The ZC is a DOHC and the D16Z6 is a SOHC adn the SOHC head will not bolt up to a DOHC ZC block.
The D16Z6 head WILL bolt on to a D15B7, D16A6, D16Y7...(all the SOHC non-vtec blocks)

Good Luck!!

#8 ·
Re: Re: Engine Conversions...D16ZC VTEC

VTEC Dave said:

you mean is it possibel to put a D16Z6 head on a ZC block?
no it isn't. The ZC is a DOHC and the D16Z6 is a SOHC adn the SOHC head will not bolt up to a DOHC ZC block.
The D16Z6 head WILL bolt on to a D15B7, D16A6, D16Y7...(all the SOHC non-vtec blocks)

Good Luck!!
You failed to read the whole thread... There is an SOHC and DOHC ZC....

#13 ·
vtec. vtec. vtec.

Back on subject, how hard is it to do a head swap and wiring up the vtec. I mean I've seen the write-ups but I want to know like could the boy with some basic mechanic skill and a big ratchet set do the job

#14 · (Edited)
Plug and play my friend. Though you will need a vtec ecu or a chip.
almost forgot that your harness may or may not have a wire for the vtec control solenoid

#15 ·
i just did a vtec head swap. it is easy, if you have everything you need in front of you and dont break anything you could do it in a few hours. as for the wiring, in the del sol S all the wires are there for the vtec from the ecu to the wiring harness on top of the right strut tower. just get a p28 ecu and then you have to run two wires from the strut tower, one to the vtec switch and one to the vtec oil pressure sensor (this has two on it the other one goes to ground). all said and done it took me about three to four hours. depending on your car the wires might or might not be there. but they are easy to run either way. get a shop book for the torque values and tightening order of bolts. i did notice that the vtec heads seem to have longer head bolts dont mix them up or you will rip the threads out of the block when you go to torque them down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.