Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this could go either here or in the Accord forum.

My Accord is about 10 years old almost. While I have changed the oil regularly, I did by this used so I have no record of prior maintenance before I bought it. I've considered buying some Gunk engine flush and flushing the crankcase. Just wanted an overall opinion on doing this.

I've heard some rumours that if you do this, and there is some gunk that is preventing a leak, it will likely break that loose and now you have a leak. My theory is that this claim is a bit farfetched. If there is a problem such as that, the leak is coming regardless of an engine flush or not.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
i think an engine flush is not reconmend only for engines over 150-200k miles, i also hear alot of people using Seafoam which can be used to clean the fuel system, the crank case and carbon buildup in the intake manifold, cyclinder and exhaust system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mileage and response. Both on my b7 before mini-me awhile ago and on my friends '91Ls. We did my roomates '75 Maverick Grabber and not much came out the exhaust. When we did the imports we luckily had been warned what it'd look like. Black as hell smoke and lots. If you would have driven by while we were doin' it you'd have thought we were burning diesel and oil on ignition.

Trickle!!! 1/3 in the brake booster hose while at a little open throttle, and 1/3 in the tank at about 1/8th. After that I dumped the last 1/3 in the crank case and went out for a "spirited" drive. Came back and changed the oil.

I know a few V8 guys that swear by it and it really was the only "tune-up ina can" that made an actual difference. When I pulled the b7 head off @ 147k there was hardly any carbon build up inside. It was black but no flakey crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts