Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive gotta do my first oil change in my new to me prelude. im going with royal purple 10-30 but i dont know how many quarts tese motors take and the manual isnt here. also need to change the timing belt. where do i get one, autozone seemed to not have it. and what else goes with the belt? i searched but couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
4.5qts for an H23 and 5qts for an H22. Also, if you haven't been using synthetic, don't start now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
yeah. dont use synthetic if the engine hasnt been getting it for its entire life. the manufacturer reccommends 5W-30 for the H22A4 motor, idk what you have im assuming u haev a 5th gen which is the H22A4 motor. when you replace your timing belt you need to replace the idler and the tensioner. also make sure your cams are in time, use a metal bracket or something to put under them if they are in time to make sure they dont move when replacing the belt. a good belt kit will have everything you need including the belt, tensioner and idler. i would just go to honda and get it. just make sure its OEM spec. might wanna think about throwin on a set of AEM or another good company underdrive pulleys, while your down that way on the motor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
4.7 Qt at oil change
5.1 Qt includes the filter
6.2 Qt at engine overhaul

Although you're not asking about synthetic/dino.... whats your mileage, and are you burning any oil right now? Those are the biggest factors weather or not you should use synthetic. If you're burning oil, many H22 owners have decreased their oil consumption (some dramatically) through using valvoline maxlife.

Since its the winter, and if you live up north, I'd go with 0w-30
In the summer i'd try to find 0w40 or 5w40

BTW, for those who are curious about the oil viscosity designation, 0w-# flows better on cold weather start up than the 5w-#, the "w" designates the "winter" viscosity/flow characteristics, the lower the number, the better it flows, which is very important in the winter.....

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
vile10 said:
i don't see the reason why you can't use syn. oil
Because synthetic oil is made to eat gunk in your motor. If you have that gunk keeping your gaskets in place/holes in your gasket filled by that gunk... then you put the oil in and your car leaks like an old porsche.

~Peace

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i dont think its burning any oil. because i bought it this week and it has full oil in it but its really black. so i changed it today. it has 117k miles on it so i should change the timing belt. you guys say honda is the best place to get it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
cndctrdj said:
well i dont think its burning any oil. because i bought it this week and it has full oil in it but its really black. so i changed it today. it has 117k miles on it so i should change the timing belt. you guys say honda is the best place to get it.
Honda is the only place to get anything!

·
Registered
63 Posts
About the timing belt, you can buy the belt from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and get a local mechanic (familiar with hondas) to do the install for much cheaper. I think my dealer wanted $700 for the timing belt change (before I did any of my own work), I had a local mechanic do it for $350 or $400 instead.

And about the oil being black, its just the way the H series motors are (theres really no better explaination so far... check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for more info on oil).... it just means the oil is doing its job (suspending particles). My rebuilt motor has been making jet black oil since day 1. You can always send out your oil to be analyzed (www.blackstone-labs.com), its $20 for the service and they send you a free testing kit.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im going to the dealership today to check out a few things. and get the timing belt. i will do my own belt it cant be hard ive done them on plenty of motors before

1 - 10 of 10 Posts