Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys recommend for a Engine Management System, the AEM EMS or a Hondata one. :confused:.

Car has already been dyno tuned putting down 187whp 127lbs.
2001 GSR OBD2 (pain in the ass).
Any help will be appreciated.:lol2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is just some things I found on this.

Did some research on another site and found this. But just wanna see if anybody esle has had any experience with the AEM EMS.
1. Price: it has to be affordable and not excessively expensive, $0-$1500 max.

2. Compatibility: it has to be able to use stock wiring harness without question. Because #1 above is a very important issue, I will not spend any more $$$ into modifying it for the new system to work. It also had to still be able to pass smog.

3. Support: there should be strong support for the unit. I dodnt want to be stuck with a system that I had to take to a designated pro hours away from home just to tune the system.

4. Features: there had to be the usual standalone features as well as any bonuses that that particular manufaturer offers. Features are bonuses to the system and make it more attractive.

Why I bought my system according to my priorites:

1. I bought my AEM EMS for $1100 within range of my budget. The Hondata was a choice and I did consider it, but after buying all the necessary parts that I needed to run boost... I would be in the same ballpark as the price of the AEM EMS. That is why I chose the AEM EMS over the Hondata in this department.

Other standalones were looked at too. But after looking at the price and the actual market for them. They seem to be for the real racers ad you do not see a Motec system being used on a street car.

The PMS was considered too but it at the price of $800-$1000 it too was agian in the price range of the AEM EMS.

2. The Hondata would not require an OBD1 conversion harness as I am already OBD1, but not everyone is. I needed to be able to pass smog too and I['m sure the Hondata would have done it for me. But in the end, the price of the system pushed me away from this system.

3. They system had to have great support for their product. I did not want to be stuck with a system that will leave me hanging and like mentioned above, require a real pro to tune it for my street machine.

The Hondata has been out for years and it has been a proven system to work. However, when AEM released their EMS system, they also release a customer support BBS forum, like TI for thier customers to ask questions about features or problems with the system and get real feeback. This was a first for just about any company.

4. The Hondata and PMS (the two that would have fit my budget) would have given me enough of the features that I wanted for a standalone. However, for the Hondata to work like the AEM EMS, the price and customer support falls back into play and the AEM EMS wins again.

With the new AEM EMS, I will be able to do datalogging and tune the car myself with a WBO2 so it will reduce dyno tune as it is very costly.

One other thing that I would like to point out. The Hondata requires buring new ROMS for a new setup. The AEM EMS just just a file on the laptop that can be looded into its flashable ROM and the AEM EMS has enough memory to store your setup.

Whatever you choose, make up a list and base your buy on whats inportant to you. The information may seem a little bias towards the AEM EMS here, but thats because that was how I came to my decision based on my criteria priorities.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well i have AEM EMS and i love it, it works great for me, but it really depends on where your gonna go with your car, fo you plan on going FI or no and what kinda HP numbers are you going to be running... I think both systems are incredible its really personal preference i believe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bro

Thanks for the info. What year is yours? Have you had to Smog yours yet?:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
my car is a 98 gsr and the ems system was made in 03 i'm not sure if that makes a difference i'm not sure what you were reffering to so i figured i'd just answer both. but no i havn't ran it through smog yet however i think i'm just gonna have a emisions setting loaded on my laptop and download it to the ecu before emmisions and maybe run it for a week or so just to be safe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: This is just some things I found on this.

SilverDC2 said:
1. Price: it has to be affordable and not excessively expensive, $0-$1500 max.

2. Compatibility: it has to be able to use stock wiring harness without question. Because #1 above is a very important issue, I will not spend any more $$$ into modifying it for the new system to work. It also had to still be able to pass smog.

3. Support: there should be strong support for the unit. I dodnt want to be stuck with a system that I had to take to a designated pro hours away from home just to tune the system.

4. Features: there had to be the usual standalone features as well as any bonuses that that particular manufaturer offers. Features are bonuses to the system and make it more attractive.

Why I bought my system according to my priorites:

1. I bought my AEM EMS for $1100 within range of my budget. The Hondata was a choice and I did consider it, but after buying all the necessary parts that I needed to run boost... I would be in the same ballpark as the price of the AEM EMS. That is why I chose the AEM EMS over the Hondata in this department.

Other standalones were looked at too. But after looking at the price and the actual market for them. They seem to be for the real racers ad you do not see a Motec system being used on a street car.

The PMS was considered too but it at the price of $800-$1000 it too was agian in the price range of the AEM EMS.

2. The Hondata would not require an OBD1 conversion harness as I am already OBD1, but not everyone is. I needed to be able to pass smog too and I['m sure the Hondata would have done it for me. But in the end, the price of the system pushed me away from this system.

3. They system had to have great support for their product. I did not want to be stuck with a system that will leave me hanging and like mentioned above, require a real pro to tune it for my street machine.

The Hondata has been out for years and it has been a proven system to work. However, when AEM released their EMS system, they also release a customer support BBS forum, like TI for thier customers to ask questions about features or problems with the system and get real feeback. This was a first for just about any company.

4. The Hondata and PMS (the two that would have fit my budget) would have given me enough of the features that I wanted for a standalone. However, for the Hondata to work like the AEM EMS, the price and customer support falls back into play and the AEM EMS wins again.

With the new AEM EMS, I will be able to do datalogging and tune the car myself with a WBO2 so it will reduce dyno tune as it is very costly.

One other thing that I would like to point out. The Hondata requires buring new ROMS for a new setup. The AEM EMS just just a file on the laptop that can be looded into its flashable ROM and the AEM EMS has enough memory to store your setup.

Whatever you choose, make up a list and base your buy on whats inportant to you. The information may seem a little bias towards the AEM EMS here, but thats because that was how I came to my decision based on my criteria priorities.
That sounds very familiar. LOL!

Anyways, to answer gsrdrivernos's wuestion, it doesn't matter if the EMS was made after the car. All that matters is if it was made to work with it. The EMS has different models for different year tegs due to OBD, the ECU harness plugs are all different, therefore they have different models.

Depending on where you live, emmisions will or will not be a problem. Since you are OBD2, that may or may not be a problem. Some states test emmisions simply by plugging into the OBD2 port to read error codes from the ECU. If your state does this, you will fail for the AEM EMS will not respond back during this ECU readout test.

Hondata, you will have to convert to OBD1, so when they do the ECU readout test, you will fail also since its an OBD1 ECU.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: This is just some things I found on this.

Hondata, you will have to convert to OBD1, so when they do the ECU readout test, you will fail also since its an OBD1 ECU. [/B][/QUOTE]
This was the reason why I am leaning towards the AEM. Because of the cost to convert to an OBD1 then to buy the Hondata.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Re: Re: Re: This is just some things I found on this.

SilverDC2 said:
Hondata, you will have to convert to OBD1, so when they do the ECU readout test, you will fail also since its an OBD1 ECU.

it only cost me 250 to convert to obd1 from obd2.2

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I have Hondata S200, I find it to be most adequite except for the fuckin 7000rpm redline...bastards wouldn't let me set it any higher cause of stock rods and pistons....fuckers...oh well I'll raise redline to 9000rpm in spring when I fully build the bottom end :D I've been pretty happy with the Hondata.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts