Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My del sol is currently at 189k miles, its been raped by 6 or 7 owners before me, so I have been religious about oil changes at or below 3k miles. Now Ive been using 5w and 10w , depending on season, obviously 5w for winter, and 10w for summer. Now, I realized yesterday when I put some oil in it from the old jug, it was regular oil. Up to that one, its received synthetic by me since purchase (march 08). It burns oil a bit, so I always add a lil bit 1 or 2 times a week, and I drive 100-300 miles per week, depending if I visit friends/family long ways away, or if its my usual 20-40 miles per day job hunting or delivering stuff when I sell it (gotta make money somehow).

This would be the first time I used regular oil. I intend to change back to synthetic, however, after doing some research, Ive found numerous argument AGAINST switching without a system flush, and numerous arguments that state its ALRIGHT to switch.

Im gonna be using supertech, as I have always used. I intend to use 10w-30 full synthetic.

Will this do anything? Id imagine if it was a problem, my car would make weird noises or feel different somehow. I removed the VC and looked at the internals of the head, they look pretty clean, other then being covered in oil :lmao

Please post your theories/opinions. This car is NOT ever gonna see an engine swap unless this engine dies, in which case I will throw a d15z1 or d16y5 in there for the VTEC-E fuel economy purposes, so please dont say time for a B, I will disregard your post if you post as such.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I had to add a bit of oil today, I used my 10w synth oil. I didnt notice anything different, but I am trying to reduce my driving until I get an answer from you pimps :D

· Registered
261 Posts
i have had to switch from syn to reg before for price reasons. it will not kill it. i noticed no difference. i know many people who have switched back and forth. no problems. if your worried about it change it out with a blend for a few K miles. but as far as i can tell if they make a syn blend...... what the fuck does it matter if you mix a bit of them. i think it is just a rumor started to try and sell more syn oil. i would try and pick one and stick with it just for consistency. flushing your oil system is not a good idea with high mileage. just seems like dumping a oil solvent into your engine would not help it. if the syn needs to be flushed out.....what flushes out the flushing solvent?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree it falls into the "buy synthetic, fuck regular" catergory, but I just wanted to be sure.

As far as flushing, I have no clue, and wont until I get a legit answer that says otherwise. Then Ill look it up :btu

thanks for your response. Anyone else have anything to add or criticize? Id like some solid info before the glorious monday comes around :rolleyes

· Registered
580 Posts
The whole flushing the thing out before switching? yeah its a lie used by the Jiffy lubes and minekes to sell a service (i know this i work at a jiffy lube). This you can trust me on, i work with oil directly daily. I also suggest getting some sort of oil treatment if it burns oil. Polydyn tx-7 or lucas oil. This way it's less likely to burn oil. And a full synthetic is what you're going to want to stay with since it is burning oil. There are no leaks right? In any case, your local auto parts store will sell lucas oil or polydyn tx-7. Oh and as for oil choice, penzoil high milage 10w-30, it is what i use personally.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not worried about stopping the oil burning right now. Just concerned for any issues that arise from switching oil types. Im a one brand man, so Im sticking with my supertech. its the cheapest shit, and seems to work way better than brands like mobil1. So what if I loose 1hp because my oil isnt as thin as water? lol

Ill never use another brand, this supertech oil keeps my shit clean, even while burning oil. It doesnt come out honey looking, but doesnt come out black as shit either.

· Registered
580 Posts
Im not worried about stopping the oil burning right now. Just concerned for any issues that arise from switching oil types. Im a one brand man, so Im sticking with my supertech. its the cheapest shit, and seems to work way better than brands like mobil1. So what if I loose 1hp because my oil isnt as thin as water? lol

Ill never use another brand, this supertech oil keeps my shit clean, even while burning oil. It doesnt come out honey looking, but doesnt come out black as shit either.
well then, you're in the clear, at your next oil change, just go back to your normal synthetic 10w-30.

· Registered
478 Posts
Don't worry about it. High temperature aplications like turbochargers sometimes require a synthetic oil, but other than that all that matters is regular changes and keeping the right level with a proper weight oil. (5w-30 is fine for most applications) more frequent oil changes with a cheaper oil will cost the same and be better for your engine. As for switching back and forth it is irrelevant. The flat fact is that with an older vehicle like yours the oil problems come from the comparatively huge amounts of blow by gasses passing the piston rings (compared to a new engine) when they combine with the oil they form a corrosive sludge. Oil breakdown is much less of a concern then this. I would say that your level of care is more than sufficient and as long as you keep up regular oil changes the quality of the oil is of minimal importance. The bearings will last longer than the rest of the car.

· Registered
86 Posts
Well this is just me:
When i got my '95 Del Sol, I bought that flush stuff..which is just Kerosine with other stuff as I am told...put it in with the old oil while engine ran idle for 10 mins. Dumped the old oil out and most of that build up came off..I think. Then I just used the Royal Purple Engine Oil 5w and added z-max to it. Car is old but so far going strong 192k. And I agree to above comment, "buy synthetic, fuck regular"...BUT I think I could have skipped on the z-max and all that if you use oil like Royal Purple..given it's more expensive, close to double the price of others it already has all the addetives mixed with it. Plus they have engine oil specifically for turbo applications by Royal Purple. If you feel like it just check their website given the comapany is always trying to promote their shit as better.

Yeah I know, I just look this kind of shit up while I sit my ass of at work study. But what do I know...don't take my word on that cuz I am just a noob. lol.
-Thanks

P.S- I did notice that the dip stick is a whole lot cleaner than before...like a whole lot. It almost has none of that crap build up like it did before. It was bad, i could scrape that build up, off the dip stick. Reminds me of the "Think with your dip stick Jimmy" from the Castrol comercial.

· Registered
478 Posts
Expensive isn't my idea of a selling point. As long as you treat them decent these engines will out last nearly every other part in the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.