Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting a h22 motor into my 95 honda civic whats your thoughts about this cause my friend said the handling and shit will suckass...............NE comments

·
Registered
118 Posts
My advice is don't listen to anyone who hasen't done the swap. I think it's a cool idea if you have the money, it's worth it. A b series motor is a little more practical though. If you have any questions you can PM me if you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't be fooled

Listen to what H22 has to say, don't listen to people who havn't done it.. Me personally i think it's a great swap for those people who are into the all-out racing..But for me i have to have some practicality in my car, i mean i live in miami, i need A/C and i put a bunch of miles on my car each day going to work and back, and my car has a nice paint job and i can't mess it up running it everytime at the hangouts , becasue at least here, if you have a lot of power you better be willing to race it.. SO maybe you might wanna look into these 3 options...

B16A
B18b w/Turbo
B18C

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
www.hondaswap.com has some info on this swap. i'd personally drop in a b18c1 and turbo that mofo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
JDM is great

Jap Spec is a good way to go, just rememner it's a little harder to intsall a JDM motor than it is to do a USDM motor, Becasue the plugs for the harness are on hte opposite side. But you will benefit from the extra compression and the fact that in Japan they only pump 98 octane fuel so the motor has been fed good fuel only.

And with your chassis you can drop an SIRI motor (B16A1) with hte cable tranny which is cheaper and then get teh conversion kit from hasport, that will save you like $500

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you plan to do an h22 swap, heres what youll need to include on your price list.

custom mounts
axels
shocks
weighted springs
radiator(thinner and cooler)

The h22 is great if you have money but also remember that any internal work will cost a bundle, almost twice what any other motor would cost.

The b18 is the next best thing but the motor of choice is the b16. It can be boared out to a 1.9ltr, over built and boosted to (what ive presonally seen) 750whp.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
JDM engines also tend to be driven much harder til they get to 35k miles, then they import them here.... a USDM one would be more reliable. as i haven't done this swap, i won't go into axle issues or other crap.... but think about the sheer weight of the engine. you're shifting something like 200 extra pounds to the front of the car. understeer is gonna be much worse, and your brakes might be insufficient (or improperly biased) after the swap. for handling, you'd be better off with a B-series engine, but you could make your civic handle with the H22 (it'd just be harder and more expensive to do so).
If you wanna do it tho, just do it. Your car will be fast, so who cares what other people think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you do a full swap(axels, linkage, mounts and what not) then the brake issue wont be a problem. Mike is right, most JDM motors are beat to shit by the time we get them. 9 times out of 10 the rings are burnt, the oil pump is bad and ive seen more than one bent valve in my time. Many places that sell them offer a DOA/parts warrentee that is usually pretty good. Just remember, "buyer beware".

Like many people have done, i stuck with a d16. I built it so i know what went into it but for may people, they spend the time and money on a swap only to find out 10,000 miles later that the motor was crap.

If you want my advise, buy a good motor(b16, b18) and build the internals before the actual swap. That way you not only get the max power right away but you know that you wont have a bad rod or a bent valve blow up your motor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YEah that sounds cool thanks for all the suggestions you all just made my decicion even harder to make i want a jap spec cause of the extra compression and shit but i want somethin thats gonna last me a awhile to so i dunno i'm just settle with a b18...........

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Good choice. I went through the same decision process and actually decided to go B16. I'm definitely on the daily driver side of the mod spectrum, so maybe you're more into straight performance than I am.
All the motor quality issues brought up on this thread were good - surprisingly I haven't heard much about JDMs being beat up before; but I guess that's a risk with any swap.
All the more reason for me to keep looking for my USDM B16. I'll find it someday

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Fresh said:
I'm thinking about putting a h22 motor into my 95 honda civic whats your thoughts about this cause my friend said the handling and shit will suckass...............NE comments
i don't know if theres anyone on this board that has it but on another board taht is forbidden to say HV i belive jacobs is his name has it ans loves it runs 13's all day he says.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.