Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Accord DX with a standard tranny. For almost 2-3 years now, I've noticed that when starting my engine cold, while sitting in park me engine is revving up and down. Eventually it stablizes and of course to date I have had no engine problems at all.

I seem to remember it has something to do with the throttle body and this is a common occurence on Accords, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on and what needs to be done to fix the issue...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KrazzyKoreanBoi said:
u need better fuels and more injectorsz
Injectors I've considered, but in terms of fuel, I've checked the fuel filter and it's looking good. also, I get gas from either Shell or Exxon and I don't think that's the issue. I've tried other places, same effect.

Thanks for answering though!

·
Registered
89 Posts
:confused I have the same problem with my '96 LX, except it only happens when I shift my car into park. :confused

·
Registered
579 Posts
take out o2 sensors just because? If an o2 is bad you will get a nice check engine light.......

o2='s passing emissions

Have you guys tried cleaning the iac? Iac's and mafs can cause similar problems to the ones you describing however you car does not have a maf.

Krazzy......just curious man, are you trying to screw these boys up? Still scratchin my head with this comment:
u need better fuels and more injectorsz
I thought we had covered what happens when running high octane gas in an engine not designed for it........... :bash

·
Banned
61 Posts
wipeout97 said:
take out o2 sensors just because? If an o2 is bad you will get a nice check engine light.......

o2='s passing emissions

Have you guys tried cleaning the iac? Iac's and mafs can cause similar problems to the ones you describing however you car does not have a maf.

Krazzy......just curious man, are you trying to screw these boys up? Still scratchin my head with this comment:
I thought we had covered what happens when running high octane gas in an engine not designed for it........... :bash
Im not tryin to screw up anyone i am giving my opinionz i nevr sayd i could pass emissions my car runz better thoug eith out the o2

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
KrazzyKoreanBoi said:
mmmmm then it must be 1 of ure sensors misbehaving. Try checking your 02 sensorz mine were misbaheabing so i took mine out and my car never rans betta

dude...www.hookedonphonics.com :idiots

now to address the problem: on the throttle body, there is a valve that you can remove (two 10mm bolts). there is a screen in that assembly that may need to be cleaned off. if it's dirty it can cause an erratic idle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did my research and found that only a few things cause this idle problem when in park. The Idle Air Control (IAC) could be bad or not kicking in, throttle body could be dirty, or a vacuum leak. Never heard of the fuel or injectors making a difference.

I just replaced my old IAC and still I get the same thing on my Accord. I tested the old IAC by applying 12 volts DC to it and the solenoid is working correctly. My next test is to test the connector on the wiring harness to make sure I am getting voltage. If this doesnt work then I guess it is a vacuum leak, I dont think there is anything else it could be. Please help us out if any one has had any other fixes for this.

I'll keep you posted on the problem if I fix it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UltraMagneticAL said:

now to address the problem: on the throttle body, there is a valve that you can remove (two 10mm bolts). there is a screen in that assembly that may need to be cleaned off. if it's dirty it can cause an erratic idle.
This is it! This is what I remember seeing one time. I'll check that out. What do you recommend to clean it? Water, or just shake it off with a cloth? Sorry to be a n00b...

·
Registered
89 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:

thanks, i'll try that when I get off work in 20 min

·
Registered
579 Posts
to clean you just need a good old can of carb cleaner. Just make sure the unit is completely dry before reconnecting.

When you replaced the iac, did you buy a used part of ebay?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wipeout97 said:
to clean you just need a good old can of carb cleaner. Just make sure the unit is completely drive before reconnecting.

When you replaced the iac, did you buy a used part of ebay?
I assume you meant dry...lol

Thanks for the tip man...if this works...I'll give you 1 million wulongs...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice........ With pics and all. I stopped by a friends shop, seems that I do have a vacuum leak. The swap I had done was a piece of ish rig to get the car running so I guess I will have to see what is wrong on Monday. :w00t :w00t :w00t

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just made a discovery about my problem. I have my car running in the driveway as we speak. I was preparing to adjust my idle screw (via Cautela's method) and was sitting in my car letting the engine warm up. My car idle's in the 1500 range.

What happened next is I pressed the brake, just for the hell of it. The rpm moved up slightly, no more than a 20 or 30, and then dropped all the way to 600, and the fluttering idle comenced. :confused

Now what does the braking system have to do with how and engine idles, please someone inform me. :confused :confused

1 - 20 of 28 Posts