Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying to put either a b16 or a d16z6 into a 1979 civic cvcc three door hatchback and i can't find the engine mounts anywhere. any suggestion?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
this is for all the old civic buffs. why the fuck swap it? keep it a daily dude you have a classic hatch. dont ruin that. find an EF hatch to swap or something

and if you dont decide to listen to me. then you might as well find someone to make you custom mounts for a swap like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's just that the car was sitting for 12 years in a barn so it smokes like a chimney. i figure i'd put something in with a little more power and reliability. it's hard to start when it's cold, the carb needs adjusting, and i think the rings are bad and that's why it smokes. just a lot of stuff that could be solved with a D16 or so.
yesno?

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
personally i would rebuild the engine thats in it. freshen up the interior and what not. thats a classic. I want to see pics

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
yes it is a classic that should be restored, but i have seen a few with b16's... heres the bad news...you have to fab the mounts, and other parts yourself, or pay someone alot of money to do it, noone has a kit available, keep in mind not only will you need to fab mounts, you will also need wiring, ECU, axles, custom axles, suspension, shift linkage...etc

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
PICS OR BAN

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a friend who is pretty good with cars and is willing to help me get on my feet with the whole modding thing. it's my first so i don't know what to really expect. but i got the car for free because it had been sitting in a barn for 12 years and didn't run or anything. so i played with it and got it running and i feel like an engine upgrade wouldn't be too bad. because of the fact it smokes like crazy and it feels like i'm pushing the car too much when i'm driving on the freeway. i want it to last for a while and i feel like the money would be worth it. also, it's the only car i really have that i can play with and i really want to get into modding.

here's what i'm working with:

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
nice car, you would prolly have a lil bit of trouble getting a B series to fit. Id try going around seeing about rebuilding and maybe converting to fuel injection, but keep the original block in there!! lol

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Also, maybe all it would need is some gaskets replaced to stop the smoking.. personally I think its badass that you have a classic honda hatch

·
Registered
811 Posts
The cvcc engines had issues with the auxiliary valves retaining collars rattling themselves loose which means loss of power and mega oil burning....probably the issue you are seeing with yours.....the cvcc was a neat little engine for the lates 70s. I'd look into rebuilding that bad boy.

My dad bought an 81 1.5 CVCC hatch and I was 8 and he'd let me shift the 5 speed in that thing and he drove it hard and it held up for 6 years and then he sold it (83-89). If I remember correctly he was tell me that it revved as high a vette of the era (almost 6k if i remember correctly).

·
Banned
51 Posts
Check first if the original engine is still repairable. Personally, if it was me I would choose to retain the original motor because this car is already a classic. But if it is already impossible to rebuild the engine, I guess a B16 swap isn't that bad after all. I've seen a Mini Cooper with a B16 on it, and it was awesome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah. i've been getting that from a lot of people. to just rebuild it i mean. i have to put some more thought into it though. i found a D series engine that is the same size that would probably fit nicely. it is a nice little car, and i don't want to get a newer one to do something with because of the fact that it's a classic honda and i love it. it's quite a dilemma. i figured some advice from people who know a more about modding would help but i'm still getting mixed reviews, haha. damn.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Well, do a headgasket, water pump, ETC... you know, the whole maintainence thing, then see how she goes. Get the carb tuned up/calibraded, and put a nice quiet exhaust on it, then sit back and appreciate one of the rarest conditions of a honda civic, NO RICE, and NO molested stuff in it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was thinking about that. and i found a cvcc wagon on craigslist that's in my area for a grand. i want something that will blow people's mind but i also want something that i can drive and not draw attention for the roaring...just from the rarity. blah! i don't know what to do.

but i do want to say thank you so much to everyone that's given me advice. like i said...i'm new to all this, so this probably won't be the last time, haha.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Only way to thank me properly is to give me that car :lmao

but seriously, baby that thing and KEEP IT STOCK lol, it doesnt need gobs of power to be cool.

·
Registered
109 Posts
lol i'd be so torn between what i'd do with that car too.. half of me says keep it stock, restore it to its awesome little self.. but my other half says do something crazy, drop in a fast engine, put a lot of custom work into it and do it right.. then turbo it. lol

one thing for sure tho that's a nice little car you got there. no matter which direction you decide to go with, just make sure you give it some love :)

1 - 20 of 195 Posts