Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
i just got the money today
and i'm gonna go pick it up on sunday.
my friend knows how to hook all the stuff up to a computer and calibrate and whatnot...
like i said...i'm pretty new to this so he's my mentor.

some of the stuff from the 1stgen site says that they used the stock axles with a swap...
why is that?

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
i just got the money today
and i'm gonna go pick it up on sunday.
my friend knows how to hook all the stuff up to a computer and calibrate and whatnot...
like i said...i'm pretty new to this so he's my mentor.

some of the stuff from the 1stgen site says that they used the stock axles with a swap...
why is that?
If they work, why not? just dont beat on it, those axles arent meant to take the extra power the Z6 offers. its like what, 20-30 extra horses?. But if they work, thats one less expense, and in the future if you build up the motor, it will be easier for some company or shop to make up some sturdy axles.

Good luck with the motor dude, hope everything stays smooth

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
thank you.
and thank all of you guys for input and letting me know what's going on with what.

i'm so excited!

like a kid at christmas, haha.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah if the old axles look fine and fit ok you might as well save you some green and use them. but if they look too old/worn, that site i posted earlier should be able to make new ones for you for like $65 bucks each.. I think that's a good deal but i haven't bought axles in a while so i can't quite remember lol. they can also refurbish your old ones if you want.

i sound like a paid advertisement. and wait! act now, in the next 15, 14, 13, 12 seconds.. and you will receive this brand new shamWOW, completely free of charge!*

* Note: product not brand new and not completely free of charge. buyer pays shipping, handling, moving, transferring, shipping, and all associated charges and fees, including double the actual product value, plus the cost of the product.

:rolleyes end transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am quite excited with this project. First gen civics are really rare nowadays. I hope this will get done perfectly. Good luck on this project man!

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
i'm being told it'd be better to do a D16Y8 instead of a D16Z6...

any input?
Y8 has more potential, but ahrder, due to the fact its larger, has a larger intake manny, and is OBD-2, where as the Z6 is OBD1. Personally Id find yourself a d16a6, smaller everything and OBD 0 , aka less wiring/less difficulty wiring.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
I also forgot to add, the Y8 uses a hydro tranny, whereas the d16a6 uses a cable tranny. You can swap trannies and whatnot, but its easier simply to get the engine along with its tranny. For one thing, the engines matched to that gear ratio set, and 2, hydro trannies require you to also source clutch master and slave cylinders. Find a cable tranny regardless :btu less headaches

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
someone told me that you could use OBD1 wiring for a Y8 because the OBD2 will let out too much emmisions.
is that possible to do?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
yeah man its very possible. the z6/y8 chioce battle has waged for a long time and it comes to personal prefrence really. id do a z6 with the y8 goodies ( head gasket and intake manifold) and id pick up a trans from a 91 civic si. from there id run everything as obd1 so you can have the tuning options that arent offered with obd2 or obd0

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
whats your car at so far dude? did you finalize your decision on the Z6? Are you holding out for some more research/information? Dammit, I want updates!! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
well...
we found a Y8 and i like the specs better but it's at a different shop.
some guy blew his engine and might be using it so i have to wait and see what's up.
he also might just want to trash his engine and the block and the heads are still good...it's the pistons that are messed up (something like that)
they are expensive as hell, i know...
but i'm just waiting to see more of my options...
i also just found a guy in South Frisco wanting to sell a Y8
so yeah...
i don't know what to do!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
ok so...
if anyone is still watching this thread...
i ended up with a Z6 and it already has a wiring harness on the engine after i spent 100 bucks on one i pulled out of a CRX (blah).
i don't even need it now,
but it's cool.
i can just sell it somewhere else.
but i'm pretty happy about the engine.
i paid 350 for it and it has a harness and all the sensors and whatnot.
i just need a distributor, an alternator, headers, and a dipstick, haha.
i also pulled a cage out of that CRX that my good friend is gonna fit to my civic.
just a little goodie we got from having to tear it apart.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm not so sure how I feel about fully supporting the engine by the block and IM. That's a lot of stress on the IM which is held on by a few pansy bolts.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
He means hes seeing the strap around the IM and is thinking you pulled it up by the intake manifold and block, instead of just the block like how it should be. Worst case is you need new intake manny studs, which look fine to me.

I sold a harness to the d16a6 for 160 on ebay about a year ago when I was gonna do a minime on my old civic. you should have no problems selling it for 200 or best offer. Z6's are common swaps, so you'll sell if for profit guarenteed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i'm excited for you. after all the work/research of putting that engine in.. i can't wait for the finished product! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
o yeah...
i don't know what that ribbon thing is on there for.
i don't know if it was lifted by it or anything...
that's just the way the guy had it at his shop.
i'll try and keep posting up my progress, but we'll see.
i'm working on it in my driveway and it's been raining a lot lately
and the only good day (today) i have to write an essay for my philosophy class.
blah.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts