Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my friend has completed the swap of the D16Y8 ( not sure of code) the 98 Civic EX SOHC into a 89 hatch, and the 89 hatch's motor went into the 98 civic.

We've got the motor installed, with the tranny swapped too, everything on the 98 is installed and hooked up except for the axles and exhaust. we tried to start it today to see if everything is in order. and the fan ran, but the engine does not turn over. the battery is fully charged, no CEL, dash light doesnt flicker or change brightness when key is turned over. We checked the ground, wirings again. nothing changed.

so i did a straight solid wire connection from the battery to the starter's postive terminal, and nothing happend, not even a spark. The starter is in excellent condition. we even tried it on the solenoid, and nothing...

what else could have gone wrong? I know that there will be some wires/connectors that wont be used since the 89 motor does not have VTEC, and some other sensors that the 98 motor has.

one other thing, the underdash fuse box, the cover is missing, on the 98, and where can i find a picture or a copy of the diagraph of the fuse box so i know which fuse is for that circuit.

Bank needs the car on monday or they will call the sheriff on the owner of the 98 civic, its being repo'ed. so thats why we are swapping the motors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does the starter do anything when you....start.....it? Can you hear it "click" when you try starting it? And does the engine turn over and not start, or just not do anything at all?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well if you have power to the starter and its not doing anything, than its the starter. Try getting a new one. See if it works, if it doesnt, return it, no loss.

·
Registered
151 Posts
if u are sure the starter is good then u need to check all your grounds. the starter could be fine, but if its not grounded properly, and the battery isnt grounded to the same location, no electronics will work. make sure the ground wire is on the starter, and that the wire is properly grounded to the chassis. also, if that doesnt work, check the distributor wiring. i had a motor not work cuz the wiring didnt line up right. good luck.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Whats up Sam? Ha, shoulda got a 95! Empty your PM's!!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
civic_x_95 said:
Whats up Sam? Ha, shoulda got a 95! Empty your PM's!!
oh hey sup? will clean the PM out, what about the 95? i do still have the 95 hatch.

BTW, the 89 hatch is up and running great, the 98 coupe is gone sitting at the bank's repo lot, the bank has no idea that the engine has been swapped lol, and the papers are already signed..

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
H22 Bastard said:
BTW, the 89 hatch is up and running great, the 98 coupe is gone sitting at the bank's repo lot, the bank has no idea that the engine has been swapped lol, and the papers are already signed..

O*W*N*E*D*

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes, you do, but your friend shoulda got a trusty faithfull 95:tu2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts