Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the differences with a motor from the us and a motor from japan?
which is better for a swap?
which engine costs more?
is it legal to instal a jdm engine in your car(some websites say jdm engines are for racing off road use only)?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
ok most JDM engines are going to be higher in price b/c they are imported. but as far as power goes thier usually high by at least 10 hp such as the Si engine, b/c they have higer compression. but as for legalitty people mostly say it you cant do it cause its race only its because it will not pass smog tests and such but im not too sure on it myself

·
Registered
247 Posts
higher compression lower miles. less top speed on some cars. It seems more towards performance toobad we dont have 100 octane like they do damnit.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
technically they're not "legal" because they do not have emissions controls. Though you CAN add them on SOME engines that you import. Most JDM honda engines can have them added. That's the reason why. They are also more expensive not just because they are imported, but because the mileage is low and there is a high demand for those engines because it's that added extra horsepower and they are known for being less abused and low in miles/age.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
to sum that thread up it's basically what i said in my previous post. miles miles miles beat up engines... miles miles miles more HP/Tq.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
thats what the thread is saying basically-i mean-id ratheer swap in a jdm engine with 40-50k miles on it than a usdm with god only knows-100k-150k miles on it-its true-here in the us we drive our cars until they give out on us.

·
Registered
928 Posts
JDM motors usually have higher compression, resulting in 5-10 hp increase.
JDM motors have lower miles (30-50k).
JDM motors don't have a VIN number on the tranny casing like the USDM ones due. This is the main reason you will fail inspection with a JDM motor, because if they take down your VINs when your vehicle is inspected, it is obvious to them it's not USDM. This is not to say you can't pass emissions or some types of inspection (sometimes they don't take down VIN #'s) In my county in Washington, there is no emissions or inspection, so I don't have any worries. But people up north to pass emissions with a JDM motor, have to buy the cat that matches their motor, instead of using their less constricting stock one, like I do.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
is there a way to get a vin transferred over to the engine/tranny from a car? What if you got the trans from a USDM vehicle in a replacment and it didn't match up? Surely there is a way to correct that especially when you go buy a NEW transmission they'd either transfer or not have a vin at all. Just wondering if it's a possibility. If I can get mine to be "legal" then I would.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you bought a new tranny it would have a new VIN. You can't transfer VIN's, it is illegal and stupid. And if you buy a USDM tranny and match it up with a JDM longblock it would probably be able to pass inspection.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
right but what i am saying is that if the transmission has a different vin and teh vehicle has it's originial vin number, then that's not exactly legal either. That's what I am saying, is there a way to get them linked together or some how correspond to each other so that it IS legal.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Japanese engines are also tuned to run on 100RON fuel, so that is another reason why they tend to have a slightly higher compression ratio than other market engines, giving extra power.

Also, the Type R Integra engine does not have the "5" suffix included on the engine block. The Japanese code only says "B18C", just like every other B18C in Japan. Same with the B16A, although it is easy to spot the Type R Civic engine (B16B).

·
Registered
928 Posts
djcaseanova said:
right but what i am saying is that if the transmission has a different vin and teh vehicle has it's originial vin number, then that's not exactly legal either. That's what I am saying, is there a way to get them linked together or some how correspond to each other so that it IS legal.
It is not illegal to have a transmisson with a VIN that doesn't match the engine VIN, as long as you have proof of ownership. Are you serious, what do you think people do if they need a new transmission, replace the whole engine, just so they can have matching VIN's? NO! They go to a junk yard or go to their car's manufacturer and buy a new tranny, then if it is noticed that the VIN's don't match, they show them the reciept. Trust me, it is legal!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the differences are usually very slight.
higher compression is about it and very slight differences in teh ecu's.

the better engien can vary depending on price availability etc. typically JDM engines are cheaper and lower mileage and mroe available.

USDM costs more. if you dont beleive go to an engine importers site and they will ell you a b18c for 2700-3300, while most US market b18c1 swaps from salvage yards will be 3300-4000, AND have higher miles.

those websites are covering their own asses. the legality varies depending on where you live.
I live in texas near houston. our safety inspection includes an emissions test on a dyno. i passed just fine with my jdm h22a, and beat teh standards for my car (based on a 1.5 liter engine).

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
v4lu3s said:

USDM costs more. if you dont beleive go to an engine importers site and they will ell you a b18c for 2700-3300, while most US market b18c1 swaps from salvage yards will be 3300-4000, AND have higher miles.

yeah-i cant stand that the junk yards are trying to rip us off-at least i see that in my eyes-ive called up jdm engine importers and have been quoted 2500-2800 for a full h22a swap, and compared to junkyards that have usdm only, i have been quoted 4000 and up for the same swap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
djcaseanova said:
technically they're not "legal" because they do not have emissions controls. Though you CAN add them on SOME engines that you import. Most JDM honda engines can have them added. That's the reason why.
That is absolutely incorrect... Japans emissions regulations are just as strict if not more so than ours... that is why their motors have such low mileage on them. If they fail emissions they swap the motor or get a new car. They have emissions controls!!! My JDM H22 has the EGR and all the other doo dads to control emissions just like here in the US... think about it their population is enormous, they'd be crazy not to have emissions regulations.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
h22avid said:
That is absolutely incorrect... Japans emissions regulations are just as strict if not more so than ours... that is why their motors have such low mileage on them. If they fail emissions they swap the motor or get a new car. They have emissions controls!!! My JDM H22 has the EGR and all the other doo dads to control emissions just like here in the US... think about it their population is enormous, they'd be crazy not to have emissions regulations.

i back that 100% as well.
9 times out of ten you would never be able to tell if an engine was usdm, edm or jdm based on emission controls since they are all pretyty much the same. i havfe yet t see sooemthing emeissions relaated on a us engine that doesnt exist elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The reason they MUST remove their engines is because of lack of emissions controls in working order. That is why the engines are removed before 50k miles if I remember correctly and many are shipped over seas or rebuilt. If they had efficient emission controls that would not be necessary. Not all JDM engines have emission controls, though some of the newer ones do NOW.
Now, with emissions controls, the difference mainly comes from ecu differences. The USDM ecus are programmed for stricter emission laws in the US and for the lower octane gas found in the US.
Also, as with all state inspections/emissions, many places require to get a rapairable title or a salvage title from the registry of motor vehicles(rmv) or DMV, whichever you have. When you buy your car, it has a vin number for you stock engine and a salvage a repairable title then basically changes the number on it, so that if you get pulled over and a cops find out you have a new engine, or inspection station, you can show them the paperwork for it and you won't have problems.
JDM engines have higher compression..thus, shittier emissions. As long as you have all the proper gadgets (airfilter, cat..working EGR, etc). You'll pass w/o a problem (visual on the other hand might be hard).

I know this because I used to work at an Acura dealership here in Houston and we came across these problems more than a handful of times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts