Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Epic's Mark Rein: Intel is killing PC Gaming

Posted Jul 12th 2006 8:45AM by Conrad Quilty-Harper

A couple of hours ago, Epic Vice President Mark Rein opened the Develop Conference in Brighton with a keynote covering topics ranging from the economics of next-generation games, episodic content and middleware (which, incidentally, Epic makes a lot of its money from). The majority of the second half of his keynote took a critical look at Intel's place within gaming; specifically, Mark thinks "Intel is killing PC gaming".

Over several slides on the topic, Mark laid out the reasons he thinks that PC gaming is being harmed by Intel. He pointed the finger at Intel's integrated graphics chips. Integrated chipsets are often incapable of playing the latest (and certainly next-generation) games at any kind of graphics settings. Despite this, they are wildly popular amongst retailers. According to Mark's figures, 80% of laptops and 55% of desktops (note: he failed to cite a source for these figures) feature integrated graphics. That's bad news for companies like Epic, which are investing heavily into extremely demanding next-generation games.

If next-generation games don't run on the vast majority of computers, big-name and -money developers will lose (or have already lost) their bottom end. At the same time, the higher end is getting higher. The last year has produced widespread-SLI adoption within the hardcore PC gaming community and new technologies like Quad-SLI, Quad-CPUs, physics processors and $10,000+ PCs.

Over the next couple of days we'll be exploring this keynote and other seminars from Develop in more depth, but for now we'll ask you the same questions that Mark asked the audience:

Do games like The Sims, World of WarCraft and other low-budget Asian MMOs prove Mark's hypothesis, that PC gaming is going away because of Intel, wrong?
Will console MMOs put the nail in the coffin of PC gaming?
How come big publishers aren't placing big bets on PC gaming? (Mark says that he knows of at least two "major" developers that are considering moving exclusively to console based development, although he failed to elaborate on which ones).
Will the PC market be relegated to only mass-market and casual games?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Eh...you can always disable the "integrated" graphics through the BIOS, right?
EDIT: BTW, didn't want to start a new thread on this,
but when is that new "system shock" game coming out?
System Shock 2 was the SHIT! :w00t
EDIT 2: I'm using my MB's integrated sound-chipset, and
it works fine, but you CAN disable it if you wanted to, so
I'm sure integrated video's the same way; kinda' sucks,
I guess, for the people who intend to buy high-end cards
anyway to pay extra for the integrated video card.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I am sorry but the guy is stupid. Intergrated graphics are not designed to play high end games, that is why you can upgrade the card. Now if intel designed it so you CANT upgrade then that would be a different story. I dont know what the percentage but I doubt that even half of the major brand PC out there are used for gaming. And I would say that lower % of the major brand PC market is really into games where you really need to spend $100+ on a video card JUST to play. I am not talking about with high settings, but just to play.

Also intel is a CPU manufactur that branched out into making mobo and then into intergrated video card for there mobo. Intel was never a video card maker so you cant expect them to make a high end video card. If intel wanted to get into the video card market I bet they could and there card would be in par with ati and nvidia. Same thing goes for AMD.

The best part of a PC is that you are able to upgrade. It is like saying that Honda is killing the street racing market because they are not adding turbo to their car so Honda is at fault. Is honda at fault for not making a 10 sec street car for daily driver? According to this guy honda is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.