Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently filled up at the gas pump and was checking out this hottie that was giving me the eye when i got out and started pumping so i wasnt paying attention and filled up my tank when i returned the nozzle i saw the sign above the fuel grade saying contains up to 10% ethanol..

Im just wondering since the older cars of the 90s were not engineered with ethanol in mind what kinda of affects will it have i mean the car seems to like it, it runs fine i maybe crazy but i think it may actually run a lil better lol

Are there any dangers with it?

:confused I also always use 93 octane Because of the JDM engine, and if im not mistaken they run higher octane in japan than we do over here.

· Registered
37,990 Posts
nah youre good. you can actually run ethanol in your vehicle on the daily. but youll need a tune for it.

that 10% mix they do is just to be "green" about it. i remember when i drove to Illinois last year all of the gas stations had 15% mix in with their fuel.

· Registered
22,822 Posts
Its just a simple reminder that your tax dollars are paying for some farmer somewhere to plant corn for ethanol. Thats all.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
The put that on there to tell you it's composition. In chainsaws you are not suppose to run the ethanol mixture because it burns hotter than normal gasoline and can damage the tool.

· Registered
242 Posts
I LOVE ETHANOL...lol all the fuel where i live is cheaper if it has the 10% sign...example 91 with 10% is ten cents cheaper than 89...very odd i thought but i noticed it at all the casey's gas stations in my area

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
the only cool thing about ethanol is that you can run a little more boost. but you get worse gas mileage and less power on other applications. ethanol simply burns cleaner and less prone to detonation

· Registered
3,077 Posts
:confused I also always use 93 octane Because of the JDM engine, and if im not mistaken they run higher octane in japan than we do over here.
Why? whats your compression ratio? Japan and other places dont really use gas thats a whole lot different, what they do is use different math to rate the gasoline, we use the (R+M) /2 .

I just do a compression check on my car and run the lowest octane before idle sounds crappy. Typicaly I run 89 in my accord. My compression test yeilded 195's. I wouldn't worry about running above 91 octane unless your getting above 230's on a comp test.

While I have no definitive math for what octane is best for what comp test, temperature outside can affect the type of octane your car would perform best with. I only know how my car runs with 87, 89, 91 and 93.

The other thing you can do is learn to check your spark plugs for problems as well. They're like the poor mans tuning tool.

· Registered
496 Posts
i use mid, always, my crv seems to DRINK low octane like a drink alcohol. and my crv seems to perform better at a quarter tank, idk if its just the weight or what, its weird..

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I just recently filled up at the gas pump and was checking out this hottie that was giving me the eye when i got out and started pumping so i wasnt paying attention and filled up my tank when i returned the nozzle i saw the sign above the fuel grade saying contains up to 10% ethanol..

Im just wondering since the older cars of the 90s were not engineered with ethanol in mind what kinda of affects will it have i mean the car seems to like it, it runs fine i maybe crazy but i think it may actually run a lil better lol

Are there any dangers with it?

Ethanol is better for the environment, but causes your car to get a lil worse gas mileage at the cost of the gas station trying to get props for supplying "cleaner" gas. Avoid putting ethanol mixtures in your engine, regardless of what anyone says, it dirties your engine. the poorer gasmileage is a direct result of that. If thats all you've ever put in your car, every 20k miles or so, put half a liter of seafoam in your gas tank. Reasoning behind every 20k, its sucha good cleaner that too much can do damage.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
I've never used seafoam, but I've used its lower price equivelant. Berrymans B12 chem-tool.

I dont think any fuel additive is going to "clean" combustion chambers, if you want to clean them out id recomend removing the spark plugs and pouring something like seafoam in there and putting the plugs back in, letting it sit overnight or a day or so then vacuum it out. You could always try and put some in the cyln walls if you have stickey rings. A good synthetic oil with high detergents over an extremely long drive will help clean some of the gunk around the rings as well, potentially making your car smoke less.

Some people put it in the crankcase as a extra detergent. I just have a hard time believeing that seafoam helps clean the combustion chambers via the brake booster line everyone shoots it in. Its hard to say if most of the shit out there helps, as theres not a whole lot of teardown and rebuilds showing the effects of that product and nothing else.

· Registered
496 Posts
i have tore down two b20 engines, and both are nasty as fuck, i just soaked an extra head in some commercial purple degreaser cleaner shit from home depot, thats made for engines and tools, and it still didn't take all the caked on soot off, so i dont believe any engine additive can reverse, or really even stop sludge build up. even expensive motor oils probably cant help, i mean the two engines looked good everywhere besides intake manifold, combustion chamber, valve heads, piston heads, and exhaust ports, TB & IM cleaner from advance works good, but it still wont take shit off without a hard bristle brush.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.