Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking into buying my first Del Sol and came across an interesting ad. Here is the exact quote:

"94' Honda Del Sol Si 1.6L Sohc, 5 Spd, Two Door, Targa Top, 186,000 Highway Miles, Adult Owned, Red, Paint is good for a 94' but front bumper needs paint. New Tires, New Clutch, New Brakes, New Radiator, New Alternator. 30% Tint on Side Windows, 20% Rear Window, Pioneer Head-Unit and Speakers."

Through emails, I have also learned that it has been involved in at least one minor accident where the front bumper needed replacement and now the paint is chipping/fading/bubbling away because of a "cheap" paint job by a former owner. Also, I'm pretty sure the timing belt and water pump have never been changed. He says it does not leak any fluids and all those new parts listed are stock parts that have been replaced a little over a year ago. He can only supply a receipt for the "new" tires; and would probably have to contact the former owner for receipts of the other parts (I HIGHLY doubt he still has them).

Anyways, I have a few questions: 1. Should I be alarmed at the 186000+ miles on the car? 2. Is this thing worth anything around $2600? 3. Would I be out of line offering around $1800 for it? (My budget is limited to approx. $2100 at the moment.)

I will have actual pics of it by Sunday and more info once I run a Carfax report on the VIN.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
notehead said:
Hey, I'm looking into buying my first Del Sol and came across an interesting ad. Here is the exact quote:

"94' Honda Del Sol Si 1.6L Sohc, 5 Spd, Two Door, Targa Top, 186,000 Highway Miles, Adult Owned, Red, Paint is good for a 94' but front bumper needs paint. New Tires, New Clutch, New Brakes, New Radiator, New Alternator. 30% Tint on Side Windows, 20% Rear Window, Pioneer Head-Unit and Speakers."

Through emails, I have also learned that it has been involved in at least one minor accident where the front bumper needed replacement and now the paint is chipping/fading/bubbling away because of a "cheap" paint job by a former owner. Also, I'm pretty sure the timing belt and water pump have never been changed. He says it does not leak any fluids and all those new parts listed are stock parts that have been replaced a little over a year ago. He can only supply a receipt for the "new" tires; and would probably have to contact the former owner for receipts of the other parts (I HIGHLY doubt he still has them).

Anyways, I have a few questions: 1. Should I be alarmed at the 186000+ miles on the car? 2. Is this thing worth anything around $2600? 3. Would I be out of line offering around $1800 for it? (My budget is limited to approx. $2100 at the moment.)

I will have actual pics of it by Sunday and more info once I run a Carfax report on the VIN.

sorry man I wouldn't buy it...find something else!!

Miles to high and you said the timing belt and water pump have NEVER been changed.its got 186k on it...timing and pump should of been done before 90k.your 96k over.. :bh ...Dude thats the clue right there not to buy that POS..

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
if you can, test drive it and take someone who knows a little about cars with you so you don't get screwed...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think it might be a good deal, depending what the carfax report spits out, all my Sol's have been salvaged, but for theft reasons, so they ended up with a salvage title, I just bought another for $1800, '95 with 140k miles on it.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
delSlower said:
I think it might be a good deal, depending what the carfax report spits out, all my Sol's have been salvaged, but for theft reasons, so they ended up with a salvage title, I just bought another for $1800, '95 with 140k miles on it.
nice deal...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
id say offer 2100 if that is what you can afford, Most people that get a sol/civic do an engine swap anyway so what does mileage matter? Plus, its a Its a Honda...186k+ miles....what does that matter anyway? I say its definantly worth what they are askin, plus its an SI with alot of new stuff! They are not easy to find...at least around here. I would definantly go for it even at $2600 but dont offer them $1800...seems kinda like an insult

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Kabooki said:
id say offer 2100 if that is what you can afford, Most people that get a sol/civic do an engine swap anyway so what does mileage matter? Plus, its a Its a Honda...186k+ miles....what does that matter anyway? I say its definantly worth what they are askin, plus its an SI with alot of new stuff! They are not easy to find...at least around here. I would definantly go for it even at $2600 but dont offer them $1800...seems kinda like an insult

just be straight up and tell him that 2100 is what you have and you can give it to him RIGHT NOW. show up with a check. that way, he would rather get some money now than wait and wait for someone to pay more.

as for mileage, 186k aint too bad on a honda. but it depends how it was driven...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback and help guys. I think if I end up trying it out, and all is well, I will try to offer him 2100 in cash on the spot. That may be too tempting to deny. We'll see. If not, I may just end up working my ass off and saving another $2k to add to what I have.
Ever since I drove my friends 94 Del Sol Si, I knew I had to own one some day.... :)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I wish I would have found a sol with the b16a3 already installed...it sure would save me the headaches I get now just trying to find a reasonable priced swap and all...I was almost tempted to sell my sol for this low mileage 99 LS integra...but for some reason I just can't get rid of my sol...this is my second one and I love them...if you just so happen to stumble upon a sol with a swap already or the factory b16, jump on that for sure...

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
solsykness said:
I wish I would have found a sol with the b16a3 already installed...it sure would save me the headaches I get now just trying to find a reasonable priced swap and all...I was almost tempted to sell my sol for this low mileage 99 LS integra...but for some reason I just can't get rid of my sol...this is my second one and I love them...if you just so happen to stumble upon a sol with a swap already or the factory b16, jump on that for sure...

factory b16 would be good, but i personally do not trust the workmanship of another person's motor swap... too much that could go wrong with it

·
Registered
644 Posts
hobie237 said:
factory b16 would be good, but i personally do not trust the workmanship of another person's motor swap... too much that could go wrong with it

Most swaps are too easy. If you check it out and make sure it was done right a car with a swap would be OK. The Del Sol VTEC has a lot more than just the B16 though. Better suspension & brakes, ABS option, sways, bigger exhaust....on and on.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
solblu said:
Most swaps are too easy. If you check it out and make sure it was done right a car with a swap would be OK. The Del Sol VTEC has a lot more than just the B16 though. Better suspension & brakes, ABS option, sways, bigger exhaust....on and on.

thats what i'm trying to say... make sure it was done right... stronger motor mounts, built up motor... that sort of thing

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was refferring more to no hacked wire harnesses, ECU matches motor, no CEL's, no cable trannies on hydro cars, no ODB1 conversions on OBD0 motors, the correct axels, and shift linkages (not cut and welded). It should look stock, feel stock, and run like stock. I would never buy a custom built motor (high compression cams headwork) that I didn't do my self of know all the history of.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I agree with the both of you...but I wouldn't buy anything that's been boosted from anyone...stock would be so much better...that way I know that I am building it up right and everything works the way it should...

·
Registered
610 Posts
i bought mine with 193000 for 2800 it runs fine i replaced a little bit of stuff but the motor is strong still i just cant get on it all the time or it burns a little bit of oil but aslong as the body is good then i'd say get it. ask them to lower the price a little. make sure everything works though like lights and doors, all that shit

1 - 20 of 24 Posts