Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car and driver is reporting that mitsubishi will bring the RS edition of the evo 8 in 2004. the RS is basically a stripe down version of the evo 8.
No sound deadening material, no ABS, no HID, no A/C, no stereo, no power windows, no rear window wiper, no vanity mirror, no rear wing.
Includes a helical front LSD, 5 speed, same motor, cross bar bracing in trunk, black mirrors & door handles. Cost is slightly over $26k Only available in red or white. Mitsubishi expects to sell 700 in the US.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
AWESOME except for the no-ABS, no-6-spd. and maybe no-HID. Very very VERY cool though, wonder what it weighs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
about that 700 cars thing. do they expect to sell atleast 700 of them cars or are they limiting it to 700 in the us

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Would this be aimed at small rallying comanies? Do you guys have a nationally rally there in the US, cause in australia we have our own national competition with lots of privateer entries who would be looking for a base car like this. I doubt that you would want a car like it on the road despite the weight reductions. But then again i suppose there are ppl who would part with the advantages of a CD player, A/C and sound deadening to go that tenth faster on autoX and whatever else u guys have there...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah we have SCCA Rally Racing, which is somewhat like WRC but with far FAR less money/prestige/popularity, and few manufacturer-sponsored teams. An Evo like this would appeal to the most wealthy of teams for sure.

With my car, I've taken out the A/C and much of the sound deadening (Type R doesn't have it, didn't make much of a difference in sound at all), as well as my rear wiper. However I would still want a stereo, ABS, power windows, and HIDs for a street/auto-x car, but for a pure racer I think they've got the right idea. I personally would want ABS though.

·
Registered
838 Posts
droneH22A said:
Would this be aimed at small rallying comanies? Do you guys have a nationally rally there in the US, cause in australia we have our own national competition with lots of privateer entries who would be looking for a base car like this. I doubt that you would want a car like it on the road despite the weight reductions. But then again i suppose there are ppl who would part with the advantages of a CD player, A/C and sound deadening to go that tenth faster on autoX and whatever else u guys have there...
what car is that in your sig? evo 9?? shit is hot!!! love the headlights :)

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I could do without most of that stuff anyways. In the end you get a faster car for 4,000 dollars less. I'd much rather spend that 4k on go-fast goodies rather than radio, sound deadning, HID, rear-wing, power features, etc.... The only 2 things i'd even come close to missing would be the ABS and the A/c.

That's sweet.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
ekk said:
Pretty sure it's a Holden.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I dunno about an RS on the road. No stereo? No power windows? Of course my car comes first and bitches second, but Im gonna get no bitches without power windows or a decent stereo... well actually, maybe i'll only get the good ones that know a great car when they see one :D

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
5.0 said:
I could do without most of that stuff anyways. In the end you get a faster car for 4,000 dollars less. I'd much rather spend that 4k on go-fast goodies rather than radio, sound deadning, HID, rear-wing, power features, etc.... The only 2 things i'd even come close to missing would be the ABS and the A/c.

That's sweet.
That's true and I understand your point but...you have to have some cash to buy an evo for only a track car. Most people who buy them use it as their DD or for anytime driving. I can't see a point in buying a stripped down turbo 4 cylinder. If I wanted speed with little ammenities, ummm, well nevermind, I can have all the features and power with a fully equipped turbocharged LS1.;)

But getting back on the point, I think it's cool that they're putting this out. I sure as hell wouldn't mind one if I had the money to blow, especially for the price tag.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
it should do pretty well, its a great budget race car. the only thing i think they shouldnt have taken out is the AC.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Ragnarok043 said:
it should do pretty well, its a great budget race car. the only thing i think they shouldnt have taken out is the AC.
The thing is, the A/C likely weighs about as much as all the rest of the stuff combined.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
ekk said:
from the blue oval logo it looks like a ford falcon that only sell in OZ?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Evolutionary RS: Mitsubishi’s stripper Evo may be the ultimate sleeper

WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution? An Evolution RS, naturally.

Mitsubishi trimmed 146 pounds of “nonessential” items from its already-stellar Lancer Evolution for even more performance. Those items include the wing; HID lights (replaced with halogens); rear wiper; air conditioning; ABS; power motors for the windows, doors, locks and side mirrors; the entire audio system; trim in the trunk; vanity mirrors; rear assist grips; map lights; lots of sound-deadening material and even that little piece of leather wrapping that goes around the parking brake lever.

Then it added a helical limited-slip differential to replace the Evolution’s open diff, a crossbar over the spare tire hole in the trunk, and a strut tower brace in front.

Is it really better? Maybe on an autocross.

We drove several Evolution and Evolution RS models back-to-back on the big track at Willow Springs in the California desert, where speeds of more than 100 mph are the norm for most of the course, and we couldn’t feel the difference. The RS’s limited-slip grabbed better going into some turns, but the rear wing starts generating downforce at 86 mph, so the non-RS felt a little more stable in the faster sweepers.

Lauchlin O’Sullivan, Mitsubishi’s SCCA ProRally driver, said he thought the RS was lighter under braking and acceleration, and he should know. The spec sheet shows there should be a difference, but it would be a difference measured in tenths of a second, well within the limits of driver error.

Performance measures aside, Mitsubishi says the lack of stuff makes the RS more “customizable.” You can add your own stereo, for instance.

There are no RS badges anywhere, either, just blacked-out door handles and mirrors to let everyone know you’re serious about motorsports. Mitsubishi says the 700 RS models for the abbreviated 2004 model year will go on sale at the end of January. More will come for 2005. Pricing will be under $27,000.

Is it evolutionary or de-evolutionary? That may be for you to decide.

autoweek

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Man, under $27k.... what a deal.

I can't believe they couldn't feel 146lbs less.... that's like a person, and I sure as hell can feel the extra weight when someone is riding with me. When I took the 33lb A/C out, all off of the front end of the car, the acceleration difference was very small but the handling change was very apparent, it turns in much more willingly and it's a lot easier to get the tires spinning while exiting the corner. How they didn't feel the absence of 146lbs is beyond me....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts