Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight, I'm going to purchase a modded d16y8 head(99 ex) for my d16y7 block. I know I need an ecu and harness from an ex and the guy is throwing in the ecu, but no harness. Can someone post a picture of what this harness looks like or a link to one so I can get an idea of what they look like when I go to the junkyard? Or any good places to pick one up online? Thanks,

-Pfieff

· Registered
1,052 Posts
You can use your stock one and add the VTEC and knock sensor wires there is only 3 wires to run to the ECU in your case. Don't buy a harness because even though it will contain the wiring the car still won't have the rest of the wiring for you to plug it into.

· Registered
727 Posts
look around... ask friends... someone will know how to do it. It's liek common knowledge now

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is an '00 LX and I am going to putting in an ECU from a '99 ex and with that harness, is it true that the wires are already in my car for the vtec solenid and the knock sensor so that I will not have to add them. I heard that 96-98 didn't have them prewired but the 99-00's do. Just trying to make sure that I have everything clear.

-Pfieff

· Registered
727 Posts
well, if it's just a SOHC, then all you need to wire is a VTEC line. The ECU will be koo. You don't need a knock sensor, because those are only on DOHC.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Vietsol said:
well, if it's just a SOHC, then all you need to wire is a VTEC line. The ECU will be koo. You don't need a knock sensor, because those are only on DOHC.
D16Y8 has a knock sensor too! Just thought I should point that out.

· Registered
727 Posts
i know, i'm just messin... already done this swap, jus forgot some stuff. Most people i swap for have 92-95 civic, that's why i'm thinking wrong

· Registered
1,052 Posts
the 92-95 is better I think anyways. That's just my opinion and there isn't much basis for it except that I have seen a shit load of oil pump failures and camshaft seizures on the Y8 but not the Z6 so I tend to lean towards the Z6 as being tougher. Plus the Y8 is OBD 2 and if you want o be legal converting your car to OBD 2 specs is not worth it as the evap system is stupid and annoying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.