Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, recently my cat broke down and i am thinking of just getting a total exaust upgrade. i have about 500 bucks to spend so i was thinking of megan headers, magnaflow cat, and 2.25 or 2.5 inch custom piping and some muffler. i have searched around but couldnt find the answer to my question, my question being do i get a 2.5 or 2.25 and when i do get this type of piping should i run it from the header and get a cat with 2.5/2.25 in and out flow, or is it suppose to be bigger piping in the beginning and smaller piping after the cat? And also is the megan header legal, will i have trouble passing the emissions with it? At the bottom of this web page: http://www.tunersports.com/magnaflow-m-66.html?osCsid=b77da67c83d17114c8ec89ec8dc5d063 there are magnaflow cats, would that be compatiable with the 5th gen preludes like with the O2 censor and stuff? Last question being what muffler would be a good choice?
Thanks guy and any input will be appreiated!

·
Registered
296 Posts
5th gen = 2.5 piping...with 500 bucks, i suggest not to waste it into a random custom piping system with a randome muffler...highflow cat maybe...but from what i hear 5th gen throw a CEL with a highflow cat cause of the 2 sensors, altho i maybe wrong...i also know there is a trick to get around it....but as far as i know, if a highflow cat works with no problems, then yea get one, but for the exhaust, just get a branded name system such as RSR or apexi for quietness...cause it will get annoying over time and u wont like it...or something like Greddy or or tanabe is u like mid deep tone...take it from me...i wanted to save cash 5 years ago, i had a high flow cat for 70 bucks, and went to get a custom exhaust with one resonator and a megan muffler for 200 bucks (and it was a great job, the welder is welknown around for his exhaust work)...and it was loud...then i put the silencer in a month after...and kept it like that for 4 years....then i got tired and just installed a RSR...and been in heaven every since.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i wonder if i can get some more info about the megan header and if cutting the end of the header and welding a 2.5 inch pipe to make it a "2.5 inch collector" is a good idea. i know i should get a name brand cat back exaust but right money doesnt allow it so i am wondering if i can get some help with a muffler maby? thanks again guys

·
Registered
296 Posts
you can get a name brand cat back for 600...i got my RSR str8 from japan for 400

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i had a question similar to this and really didnt get any help here either. the trick for me was to search past threads. i did find what i was looking for. i used to get mad when people would just post "SEARCH!!!" but now i see what they are talking about. just do it, and you will find what you are looking for.

i will answer what i can to make your search easier. anyone (reputable) on here will tell you that 2.5" is the way to go. it is not to big! so dont pussy out and go 2.25". if you get a magnaflow high-flow cat, you have to have them put 2 o2 bungs on it. im not sure if there is an option to do that on the magnaflow page, but there is on the carsound page. youre probably better off trying to find a good cat-back from a manufacturer instead of piecing random shit together. not sure if the megan header is legal, but you can always just find an emissions guy that will pass you for a few extra bucks. a guy around here does it for 80, no questions. you just have to ask around...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FINALLY someone posted...omg...ya dude i already searched and didnt find much on megan being legal or not and didnt find anything on enlarging the collector either. thanks though about the 2.5 inch thing. but does anyone know of a good muffler...ebay maybe and has anyone heard of the twin loop muffler thing??? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
my personal favorite muffler is the mugen twin-loop. that is a solid muffler. like others have said though...probably not the best idea to mix and match. who knows though, you might stumble on a great set-up. :number1

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
hamadiscool said:
thanks, i wonder if i can get some more info about the megan header and if cutting the end of the header and welding a 2.5 inch pipe to make it a "2.5 inch collector" is a good idea. i know i should get a name brand cat back exaust but right money doesnt allow it so i am wondering if i can get some help with a muffler maby? thanks again guys
For the money? I'd say that a GReddy header and High Flow Cat would be your best bet.

~Peace

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
2.25 if you have minimal mods and a 2.5 if you have more then minimal. actually you'll find most japanese exhausts are 60mm or 2.36 inches. there really is no need to get anything bigger if all you have is i/e/h/p unless you get a high end header that dramatically alters how your motor breathes. but then again think about the future too. if you are planing anything bigger it would be a waste to get a 60mm or so exhaust when you'll need a true 2.5 in the future.

if your worried about a cell from a test pipe or a high flow cat get something called a spark plug non fouler that will fit into the secondary o2 bung, you have to modify it to fit the o2 sensor but it will take it partially out of the exhaust stream and eliminate the cel light.

as far as custom piping, its fine. there is only one way the exhaust can really travel and all the guy making the piping has to do is follow the cavity. if its mandrel bent and isnt run all goofy its kosher

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL about the kosher thing...but ya thanks about the info really appreiate it but anyone know anything about modifing the collector of the header to 2.5inches??? is it just as simple as cutting the end off and welding a 2.5inch pipe??? thanks again guys, this is some good info

1 - 16 of 16 Posts