Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well time for another review. When my original clutch went out I was thinking my car would be in for some downtime. Just what i needed was another thing to go wrong. Well thanks to the fine gents at prostreetonline.com i was hooked up with a stage1 exedy organic clutch kit. 219 shipped. I was very pleased at the price. Mind you I did get it on sale but still. The kit is complete with everything from the bearings, to the (imho) gay pink stickers. But I digress.

After it was installed all I could think was "man my legs gonna cramp all damn day". It was STIFF for a stage 1.
At 500 miles it seemed to loosen up a little bit. After a little adjustment it was tight again. By then however I got used to the play in the pedal and stiffness of the clutch.
At 1000 miles I felt comfortable enough to stand on the pedal. All I can say is DAMN! She grips like a stage two clutch(yeah ive driven a couple tegs and civics with other stages) yet she retains a very VERY streetable feel. During simple everyday driving the revs are smooth, and the engadgement is crisp. When you really rip on her she grabs hard and releases quickly, even allowing for some forgiveness in those of us who tend to burn our clutches a little with launches.
I HIGHLY recomend this kit to anyone planning on changing their clutch out, and have basic bolt ons to light boost applications. Mated to a lighter flywheel would really up the ante but I am fully satisfied with the purchase. Later fellas. :bye

M.

·
Registered
300 Posts
honestly, is it just me or not. I hv this clutch for over a yr and the clutch start slipping especially when it's cold or in the morning...

also, when driving a lot in the traffic, they will become very hard to get in gear, or sometimes grind

anyone has these problem???

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
To the original poster, when you say stage 1, is this the exedy organic clutch (oem replacement) or the exedy organic racing clutch (upgrade)?

97accordsir said:
also, when driving a lot in the traffic, they will become very hard to get in gear, or sometimes grind
grinding and getting into gear would indicate a problem in the tranny, because the clutch is disengaged when you are doing this...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it is the exedy stage 1 organic clutch kit. the oem replacements come in only one "stage" if you can call it that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
HMM hey it happen to me when the clutch is slipping during cold temperature and then later it get warm, it grip.. Weired.. Keep in mind, the clutch is stock but I will get aftermarket soon maybe Excedy stage 2 with fidanza flywheel or ACT SS clutch with fidanza flywheel..

·
Registered
168 Posts
"stage 1" : Only the pressure plate?

IcemanGSR said:
Well time for another review. When my original clutch went out I was thinking my car would be in for some downtime. Just what i needed was another thing to go wrong. Well thanks to the fine gents at prostreetonline.com i was hooked up with a stage1 exedy organic clutch kit. 219 shipped. I was very pleased at the price. Mind you I did get it on sale but still. The kit is complete with everything from the bearings, to the (imho) gay pink stickers. But I digress.

After it was installed all I could think was "man my legs gonna cramp all damn day". It was STIFF for a stage 1.
At 500 miles it seemed to loosen up a little bit. After a little adjustment it was tight again. By then however I got used to the play in the pedal and stiffness of the clutch.
At 1000 miles I felt comfortable enough to stand on the pedal. All I can say is DAMN! She grips like a stage two clutch(yeah ive driven a couple tegs and civics with other stages) yet she retains a very VERY streetable feel. During simple everyday driving the revs are smooth, and the engadgement is crisp. When you really rip on her she grabs hard and releases quickly, even allowing for some forgiveness in those of us who tend to burn our clutches a little with launches.
I HIGHLY recomend this kit to anyone planning on changing their clutch out, and have basic bolt ons to light boost applications. Mated to a lighter flywheel would really up the ante but I am fully satisfied with the purchase. Later fellas. :bye

M.

IMO........... 99% sure that:

stage 1 organic clutch kit = just the pressure plate is the "racing" one.

other than that, everything else= OEM replacement grade.

so, the disc will get worn out faster, because it is only has OEM durability grade, and being "pressured" by " muscle" pressure plate.

any1 :number1

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive seen both systems. we just installed the oem replacement by exedy in a friends car. tehy are not the same.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just installed my Exedy Stage 1 with a Fidanza Flywheel yesterday. I'm trying to keep it easy on the high revs to give it a proper break in, but so far I am very impressed. The biggest surprise was the very little change in pedal feel. It definately winds up a lot quicker. A noticable change in power to the wheels. I cant wait to break it in and get it down to the dragstrip. I was actually racing my car last weekend when my car wouldn't shift into 4th gear. Ive been having trouble for the last couple months with shifting hard but last weekend it all fell to hell. I definately felt like I broke something. Assuming it was the clutch since I had already replaced the master and slave cylinders I ordered my new kit with flywheel and had it installed. I recieved a very surprising call from my mechanic during the install. He told me the clutch had a broken spring but that wasnt the problem I was feeling. He told me there was gear oil in the transaxle! Then it dawned on me...JIFFY LUBE THOSE BASTARD IDIOTS!!! THEY PUT IN GEAR OIL INSTEAD OF MOTOR OIL!!! Anyone who knows anything about honda transmissions knows that gear oil will eat it up. I looked up my service reciept (Thank god I didnt throw that one out) and noticed they flushed my tranny over 10 months ago. That SH*T has been eating up my tranny for 10 MONTHS!!! I imediatly went over there and raised a sh*t storm. I'm in the process now of having them pay for my new clutch and all the labor costs. I am also requesting them to pay for a new tranny even though it is working fine now with the proper lube in it. I am so angry at them but at the same time very happy to know that my honda wasnt breaking from wear and tear and now Im not responsible for the costs.
WAY TO GO JIFFY LUBE!!! :)

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I installed an Exedy Organic Racing Clutch (stage 1) and an ACT X-Act Streetlite flywheel about 2-3 months ago. I have been very happy with the clutches performance. This is a D-series/SOHC application. The clutch disc is physically larger than the oem disc. The pedal is noticeably stiffer than OEM, but still quite comfortable for daily driving. It took all of 1hr to get used to the new clutch and it will be seeing its first track even tin about a week. I got the clutch for about $190 shipped quite some time ago and would highly recommend it to anyone else.

The clutch uses a dual-diaphragm pressure plate. I finally decided to purchase the clutch after talking with an ACT representative and hearing them say how good the SOHC clutch was.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A buddy of mine just put the exedy stage 1 in his winter beater (SOHC) and all he had to say was "wow it feels like a stage 2", so as long as it lasts a little while. ill be in for one in my beater..

·
Registered
6 Posts
JIFFY LUBE THOSE BASTARD IDIOTS!!! THEY PUT IN GEAR OIL INSTEAD OF MOTOR OIL!!! Anyone who knows anything about honda transmissions knows that gear oil will eat it up. I looked up my service reciept (Thank god I didnt throw that one out) and noticed they flushed my tranny over 10 months ago. That SH*T has been eating up my tranny for 10 MONTHS!!! I imediatly went over there and raised a sh*t storm. I'm in the process now of having them pay for my new clutch and all the labor costs. I am also requesting them to pay for a new tranny even though it is working fine now with the proper lube in it. I am so angry at them but at the same time very happy to know that my honda wasnt breaking from wear and tear and now Im not responsible for the costs. WAY TO GO JIFFY LUBE!!! :)[/QUOTE said:
Jiffy lube sux.. if u have the time, money and resources u should change the clutch and mission oil out urself.. that way ull get the satisfaction of changing it urslef and the peace of mind that it was done right :number1

·
Registered
6 Posts
lol didnt check the date.. still if someone has their own recent review then i don't see any wrong in that.. just my opinion tho...

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
lol didnt check the date.. still if someone has their own recent review then i don't see any wrong in that.. just my opinion tho...
To be honest i quite like it when old threads get dragged up, i see and read things i didn't know sometimes. :D
That's the beauty of SHO there is so many threads hidden away in the archives i go routing about when I'm bored and read them.
And i also don't trust garages to do work, only because I've worked behind the scenes and seen the scams and mistakes that go on. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts