Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the bolts connecting the bottom of the header to the catalytic converter have springs?

I'm thinking its for flexability, but I don't know how much sense that makes. I wanna take them off and use regular bolts, due to a small exhaust leak from aftermarket parts. So what are they there for and how important are they? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
make sure that u re-use the springs. the springs make sure that the header is bolted properly to the cat. a little gap is ok. i wouldn't worry about an exhaust leak due to that gap. it'll be highly unlikely since the header's collector sticks out about an inch or two from the header's flange. so the velocity that's being made by the engine won't result in any backflow in that certain area (unless of course u cover the muffler with something that would restrict flow.).

if it was flange to flange (flat surface to flat surface) then i'd be worried about an exhaust leak there if there is a noticeable gap. that's why they use gaskets sometimes to make a good seal.

like what everybody else said, the spring also functions as a "cushion" when the engine is torquing. the cat and the exhaust pipe/s after that are bolted on solid (except for the muffer). so if u bolted the header to the cat without the springs, then it'll wear, crack, and break down over time (maybe even sooner than u think). then u'll end up with a bigger and more expensive problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.