Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parts:
1) Magnaflow catback exhaust for 99-00 civic
2) Catco Catalytic Converter "Direct Fit Replacement" 00 civic
3) Pacesetter (untuned) 2-piece, 4-2-1 header, ceramic coat

Problem:
After mounting up all of the so-called "Direct Fit" parts, there's an issue with clearance. Big surprise, "Direct Fit" means direct fit, then some custom work. Guess I should learn by now, but I keep on hoping.

I had the Magnaflow on last year with no converter for about 2 months. My engine is pretty stock so I needed to introduce a cat for back pressure. Was having major power issues with 2.25 exhaust with stock engine.

Purchased the headers and cat this year, mounted them up. Got cat connected to Cat Back, then mounted headers on the block. Got ready to connect and there were two issues there. One, I had about 1 1/2 inch gap (NOT GOOD), and two, the flanges didn't line up right. One flange was about 15 degrees off. Fixed it by getting long bolts, tightening down on the wire-mesh gasket. Sealed it up nice, even though the bolt is crooked between the two. I can deal with that for now, will take care of it later. Figured I could bend the exhaust hangers in the back a bit to line the flanges up a little better.

Major problem is that now, even if I bend the hangers, at the back, where the Exhause does two 90 degreen angles to get from the center of the car over to the passenger side to go over the rear suspension and out, I only have about 1/8 to 1/4 clearance. You can all guess what happens now. YEP, THUD, THUD, THUD as the car starts and as I excellerate. Basically any time the engine really gets moving, but quits after the car is up in rpms.

So, since I'm not a big welder yet, and the garage where I could do welding and do all the work on my car is 2 hours away, any chance that there is some type of material out there such as heat insulation that I could slide between the exhaust pipe and the floor pan? The floor pan does have that protective stuff sprayed on, and it hasn't seemed to rip it up much yet, but I haven't driven it that much, and the sound is, of course, horrible!! Any thoughts? I would really appreciate it.

FYI...I do plan on fixing the problem properly as soon as I can get back to my garage. I do have a welder, and can weld if needed to get another piece in to lengthen the system for better clearance. I'm just looking for a quick fix for two reasons. One is that it is being inspected this week. The other is that it sounds terrible, and I want to drive it, but am afraid of donig damage with all the vibration. Thanks team.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, sliding it forward is exactly what we did. There was a coupler behind the resonator before the 90 degree angle. We loosened the bracket, pulled it forward enough, and in the mean time tilted it toward the driver side to get the O2 sensor up in the air enough to get clearance on the shifting arms. Thanks for the replies. Good ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.