Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sprayed my b16 with a 75 shot and blew the bottem end out. Piston ring and rod snapped in the number one cylinder. I looked at the head at saw no signs of damage to the valves or the combustion chamber. I went out and got a gsr block and put a mugen 2 layer head gasket on the car. I started it up and there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the head and the breather filter on the valve cover.

At first I thought it was coolant mixing with the oil and burning up but it smells a lot like exhaust, no sweet smell to it. There is a ton of smoke which also makes me think it is exhaust. Has anyone ever seen this or no what could make this happen. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
801 Posts
I never had any white smoke coming from my breather filter but i had white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe, it was happening when my head gasket wasnt sealing. Btw that mugen is a crush gasket now that you torqued the head down, you cannot reuse it.

· Registered
9,111 Posts
Devilito said:
I don't believe it's a valve. Trust me it's your rings or pistons.
For smoke to get into the head from the combustion chamber it has to be from blowby.:D

or if the exhaust valves are not closing fully due to being bent and it is not letting all of the exhaust gas escape

· Registered
150 Posts
If the rings are bad try this: Do a static compression test and record the results. Then add two to three squirts of oil to each cylinder and repeat the test. If the psi increases after the squirts of oil it is definetly your rings. If compression is low after both static and wet (with oil squirts) the problem is in the head. When i speak of "Squirts" that means little squirts from an oil can.

· Registered
150 Posts
Yes, if you can do a leak test also that would help you alot. Hold the throttle open while you leak test. If air is herd hissing out of the throttle body or aircleaner there is a intake valve sealing problem i.e. worn seat or bent valve. If it is heard coming out of the tailpipe it is a exhaust valve sealing problem. If there is a hissing sound from the oil fill cap when removed it is cylinder sealing problems or blowby from worn rings. If there is a hissing sound from the the spark plug hole adjacent to the cylinder reciving the compressed air it is most likely a head gasket problem allowing air to travel from the combustion chamber through the head gasket through the adjacent cylinder and out the spark plug hole. To do a leak down test you need acsses to compressed air. All the spark plugs need to be removed. The engine has to be rotated to TDC on the compression stroke so that both valves are closed. then the compressed air is put into the spark plug fitting. Give us the results of any of your tests, good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.