Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably been covered at some point, search didn't help so here goes:
I'm putting together a plan for an upgraded exhaust. The type one exhaust is what I'm thinking of now. I'm going with the universal muffler with custom piping. I have a few questions.

1) Mandrel-bent piping, right?

2) The inlet to the muffer is 63mm. I'm going to try to be consistent and run the same diameter piping back to the catalytic converter. Will my stock cat be able to be used?

3) Is 63mm too wide for a D16y8? Staying NA all the way.

I'm hoping to preserve as much low-mid range power as I can, so if I'm not on the right track feel free to make any suggestions. thanks.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
1) yes, always get mandrel bent.
2) yes, should use the same diameter all of the way through. won't do you any good to have a large exhaust with a small cat as the bottleneck. Look into a 2.5" high flow cat.
3) Yes, 63mm = 2.5" which is too big for a NA 1.6L. I would recommend 2.25" .

Look in my sig if you want a 2.25" exhaust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, the inlet to the muffler i want is 63mm, would it still be possible to match that with 2.25" piping back to the high-flow cat you mentioned?

Or should I find a different muffler?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh not like i really wanted it but was just wondering if it'd work...yeah tho I would need to find a muffler with a 2.25" opening...

I definitly want straight through...ever hear of the type one muffler? I like the looks and the sound(theres a clip at the website) They make it in a Univ application but like I said, the opening on the muffler is 63mm...

http://www.randdmotorsports.com/typeone.html

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push my forsale exhaust. As a matter of fact, someone just bought it via buy it now. However I would really recommend taking a look at the magnaflow cat-back since it looks like you are going for a n1-style straight through setup. You aren't going to beat it. Great price, and a nice performer as well. You can find them on ebay all of the time for <$300 shipped. That is a full cat-back... muffler, stainless steel piping and a resonator. You can also find it at www.hottexhaust.com

anyways, I'm not familiar with the type 1. Still believe that it said 63mm, so 2.5".

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Completely unrestricted exhaust won't preserve your low-mid range powerband. They improve top end flow as well as make more noise. As was said, 2.25" would be maximum for an N/A D-series, at least one built for street/ daily driving. I'm ejoying my Apexi WS system, but if you don't want the look of a full-size muffler design then it's not for you. It has a nice sound though, not too loud but great tone.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
yep, a straight through will destroy your bottom end. I hit heavy traffic everyday on the way home, sometimes bumper to bumper. I absolutely hated getting stuck going up hills with the good old straight through magnaflow.

Now I have an RSR Ex-mag. Very similar to the Apexi WS. I'm much happier with it for daily driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts