Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
the exhaust for my 91 accord is quite happily... stock :D

but...the only ones that sound appealing to me are the greddy evo exhaust or tanabe systems...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I almost made the mistake of buying an expensive Greddy exhuast, and also considering a full catback system. Our 4 gens dont make anywhere near enough power to fully use these items. Save your money and stick with stock. Or if you want the sound i guess you can try some ebay exhaust. Just ignore the "15 HP INCREASE" ads. They are all bs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i97supratti said:
I almost made the mistake of buying an expensive Greddy exhuast, and also considering a full catback system. Our 4 gens dont make anywhere near enough power to fully use these items. Save your money and stick with stock. Or if you want the sound i guess you can try some ebay exhaust. Just ignore the "15 HP INCREASE" ads. They are all bs.
or do an H22 swap... cause if you put an aftermarket on the F22A1 or A4 block you're going to lose power because the wider system is only going to lower the compression even more.... therefore, no need for the a-market exhaust until you get the H22... unless you want the noise... :boo

·
·Àdministrator·
1,238 Posts
who said that F22As lose power from bolt ons?:kick
If the right parts are chosen, there will be a hp gain up to 10 hp.

·
Registered
365 Posts
no, what i'm saying is that you'll lose power from putting hi-flow shit on there (intake, headers, exhaust, downpipe, cat, muffler, etc.), cause the compression isn't hi enough to benefit from the added space... it'll just leave less pressure in your pipes and cause power to go down, i never said anything about bolt-ons, i was talking about systems... i even said "systems" in my post :stupid

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
foozbal said:
no, what i'm saying is that you'll lose power from putting hi-flow shit on there (intake, headers, exhaust, downpipe, cat, muffler, etc.), cause the compression isn't hi enough to benefit from the added space... it'll just leave less pressure in your pipes and cause power to go down, i never said anything about bolt-ons, i was talking about systems... i even said "systems" in my post :stupid
what are you trying to say here? you don't need pressure in the pipes, you need a good exhaust velocity, and the power does not go down it shifts to a higher rpm powerband most of the time with the hi-flow stuff

·
Registered
365 Posts
i mean you lose power from the excessive space in the piping. compression is very similar to pressure, i mean the word pressure is even in compression. putting a high flow system on an 8.8:1 CR motor is going to have you losing power flat out, not even while driving. your car will lose power altogether. it's not going to hurt you very much, but it certainly won't help you all that much either... high flow is for something a little more like the H22... 10.6:1 CR or something... i mean you can do it if you want man, but it's not gonna help much or at all... not unless you get a system that you need the pressure to get out fast... (turbo, supercharge... etc)

all i'm saying is... it's a waste of money with an N/A f22... unless you're swapping or boosting...

and it'd only switch to a higher power band if it's an automatic...

if i'm wrong, and you guys can prove me wrong, go ahead. but i'm 95% sure on this one.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
WTF, are you kidding me? i've already asked you to quit posting incorrect information :td

it has nothing to do w/ compression :idiots it has a lot to do with how much air is flowing. which is a function of how much stuff is burned. the f22 will be happy with maybe a 2.25" exhaust compared to the 1.7" or whatever small sized piping is in there. but it will just shift the power band away from the low end like someone else mentioned.

but i wouldn't say it's a 10hp gain....just exhaust alone would free up 2-3whp peak on most hondas.

·
Registered
365 Posts
well, my source (38 year old friend who's been a mechanic for 20 years) told me it's a waste of money with the smaller engine and compression. but like i said, if i am wrong then i'm sorry. :(

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
foozbal said:
well, my source (38 year old friend who's been a mechanic for 20 years) told me it's a waste of money with the smaller engine and compression. but like i said, if i am wrong then i'm sorry. :(
I suggest you get more friends and dump your mechanic. I am scared about how much he is ass fucking you on your tuneups and advice.
Accoring to magnaflow data their catback exhaust alone yields a 5hp gain and a 8.3ft lbs of tq gain on a stock f22 motor. Now manufacturers CAN skew some data....... but your friend telling you that installing high flow stuff on a smaller motor and losing power is all wrong. Like allen said, anytime you open up the breathing on any motor; as long as it is done within certain measurements.......you will actually see a gain instead of a loss. Open it up TOO MUCH and yea I could see a problem and a possible loss but the stock piping and intake are small and restrictive for a purpose. Open those up a bit and you will have a gain.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
foozbal said:
dude quit saying sorry and all that, you are misleading a lot of people coming to a technical forum. If you are not sure of a fact, it is better not to say anything

·
·Àdministrator·
1,238 Posts
foozbal said:
WTF? exhaust and intake are bolt ons, and yes you will gain hp by putting those on. Like I said once, I/H/E could get you up to 10 whp on a F22A. :byye
BTW, you are lieing about your friend, there is just no way there's a mechanic that stupid.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
joeyl said:
dude quit saying sorry and all that, you are misleading a lot of people coming to a technical forum. If you are not sure of a fact, it is better not to say anything
word...

i found this post amusing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts