Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find an exhaust system for my '02 accord v6 auto. Here's the thing: I want to find one with a low growl instead of the high pitched sound from the cannons. Any suggestions?

Also, I want to get the most performance possible out of my exhaust. At this point, I think I am going to go with a supercharger and it was recomended to get 2.5 to 3 in. pipes. I also know there are different configurations like straightpipe & catback, etc. I'm clueless as to what would be the most ideal performance-wise (and if they each have a different sound). I also do not care about cats, so I won't go with 'em unless someone recomends 'em. (screw the emissions test. I'll have a year to comply anyway).

Thanks again guys. I'm clueless.

~Danimal

·
Registered
582 Posts
well i have a magnaflow dual catback on my 99 av6, and it has a nice growl to it, definatly no high pitch 'rice'. my only dislike about the magnaflow is when i floor it for a little fun, the magnaflow gets quiet, as in you cant even hear it, about 4k rpms. this isnt really that bad since this is when my cai starts to make some nice sounds, but it is also nice because i dont get any drone while driving around normally. also, i beleive my catback is 2.25 inches. one thing you could easily do is get some magnaflow mufflers, then go to a local machine shop and get them custom bent up to fit your car. good luck, and i wish i was getting a supercharger. and when u get f/i make sure you beef up your tranny

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
have you tried searching anything at all? out in the main accord forum is a compilation of recommended parts for your accord. although it is mostly for the four cylinders, many of those companies make parts for the av6 as well.

for an s/c'd v6, 2.5" would be way too small. 3" would be perfect. 2.75" would be okay too, but not the best for moving all those spent gases. try doing some research on pipe sizing and if you can't find anything great, then you will have to go custom piping.

btw, all v6's have a lower growl than a 4cyl will w/ ALMOST any exhaust you use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exhaust search continues

Thanks guys,
I'm still searching for a good exhaust. I keep hearing magnaflow, although the fact that it gets quiet when you floor it (wg2k7's post) disheartens me. I like sound!

I was also afraid I would have to do custom piping. I really wanted to find a package deal, but after much searching, cannot find anything like that. Guess I might have to go visit a machine shop.

Once again emphasizing my cluelessness, will a cat affect performance, or does it really not matter?

------
Ooooo! I heard about a custom job. Lemme bouce it off you guys to see if it's feasible and what it might run.

Right after the downpipe, putting a 'disconnect' system effectively swinging an arm on the piping away essentially disconnecting the exhaust so it ends at the downpipe, creating lots of sound. Activated by a button by the driver. Basically so you can sound stock, hit the button and make people shit themselves... or at least scare small children and the elderly...

Sound like anything that's out there? Thoughts? Possible price?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
most exhaust systems get quieter in the higher rpms and then the intake makes most of the sound at the upper rpm. unless you go straight pipe, that is. mine is loud all the way through :lol

you don't have to go to a machine shop for a custom exhaust. any muffler place can make a good one w/ custom piping...just make sure they have a machine that makes mandrel bends, not crush bends.

and yes, the cat does affect performance.

that switch is kinda bleh cuz even though you can switch between open header or cat, you make a 90 degree SHARP bend...not good. plus some tracks have a sound restriction on street cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you like a deep loud sound get Tanabe that's what i got. Also, get AEM V2 that sound really nice too! Do what they say to get max result, get the full exhaust system and go straight pipe. Supercharger is nice but in my opinion to pricey just to get some extra 40-50hp for the 6gen accord that's what i read somewhere. :clap

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
you can make good power w/ a supercharger, but you have to do lots of research and lots of building to make it run reliably. check out the supercharger forum here on superhonda for more info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts