Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2000 civic si. Got a fix it ticket for my exbaust. I went to the referee today to get it checked and the referee said they changed the rule of having bolt on silencers. So no more. My exhaust is 2.25 catback with no resonator. He said my options were to test it with the silencer off or go put the stock exhaust back on. What should i do? The thing is i dont have the stock tip but with the stock piping with a different muffler it still is quiet since there is a resonator. Please help, have to go back soon

· Registered
496 Posts
so whats the exact issue, you cant have a bolt on silencer? if so get it welded or somthing, we dont have these rules in SC so im not sure what going on, sry

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so whats the exact issue, you cant have a bolt on silencer? if so get it welded or somthing, we dont have these rules in SC so im not sure what going on, sry
Well see the thing is that i gotta get a souns decibel check because of my exhaust. Out her in cali its gotta be below 95 sound decibel. So should i just put my stock piping back on since it has a resonator or just get it test with the full catback no resonator? I was thinkin stock cuz my car is pretty loud

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
just get yourself a stock muffler that you can bolt to your cuttent system. So you can jsut pull the current muffler off, put up the regular one and go to the test..and leave the piping.

· Registered
304 Posts
Yea, what VTEC said. I'm curious as to what the rule is on the silencer, can you not have a removable (held in with bolts) one, but one that's welded in is ok? Or is it zero amount of silencer, SIR!? It makes sense on the removable one being diallowed, but if it's welded in, it's a permanent part of your exhaust, so it should be allowable (of course, how hard is it to cut off the OEM muffler and put an N1 or similar on, right?).

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
just get yourself a stock muffler that you can bolt to your cuttent system. So you can jsut pull the current muffler off, put up the regular one and go to the test..and leave the piping.
why can't he run with the silencer? it's part of the system. it's not different than people who change their muffler out? why would they make that a requirement

· Registered
304 Posts
I'm sure the reasoning behind the silencer is that if it is removable, the guy might put the silencer in, making it compliant, get it tested, then take it back out, making it non compliant. However, if the silencer is welded in (permanent), then I agree that there should be no problem with using the silencer. The flaw in that is, it's not a terrible amount of work to change a muffler out, so it still wouldn't be that hard to change from compliance to non compliance, so the law-makers need to get their heads out of their butts and do something constructive with their time.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I'm sure the reasoning behind the silencer is that if it is removable, the guy might put the silencer in, making it compliant, get it tested, then take it back out, making it non compliant. However, if the silencer is welded in (permanent), then I agree that there should be no problem with using the silencer. The flaw in that is, it's not a terrible amount of work to change a muffler out, so it still wouldn't be that hard to change from compliance to non compliance, so the law-makers need to get their heads out of their butts and do something constructive with their time.
yeah and he could also take his exhaust off of his car and drive it open header.

· Registered
304 Posts
I think your confused, I'm agreeing with you (can't blame you for not understanding that conglomerate of a post, it's hard for me to follow it, and I wrote it). Basically I see what they're saying, the problem is that what they're saying is wrong. So, us:1 them:0

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
why can't he run with the silencer? it's part of the system. it's not different than people who change their muffler out? why would they make that a requirement
Beats me..Politicains at work again. I hadnt heard of this change though...But I dont have a current vehicle code book either..so the change could be in there...but it sounds fishy to me anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.