Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a problem.. my exhaust sounds like a lawnmower!! it was on the car when i bought it.. please don't agitate me with "you shouldn't have bought a car w/ exhaust on it".. it sounds great from inside and i never usually let other ppl drive my car so i didn't kno it soudned so bad until recently

but yeah it literally sounds like a lawnmower, the canister looks like a GReddyEvo but it's welded on

there r a few reasons why i'm speculating why this could sound so bad:
a) hollowed out cat? but i was able to pass smog
b) hole in welds
c) rock or something else in the canister/piping
d) muffler vibrates a lot and maybe the sound comes from it vibrating against bumper
e) maybe the muffler is just a crap sounding muffler

any body have any ideas if any of these (or a combination of these) could be true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Well if you passed smog you can rule out a hollow cat right away, no way you'd pass with no cat. I'm inclined towards option E, not to be mean or anything I just hear those around here all the time. Welded on cans without the right tubing just unmuffle and then amplify the higher tone of a stock exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I am supposed to get my new exhaust this Friday. I work at a car dealership and they are taking the exhaust off one of the Honda's their and letting me have it. They are going to weld it on. Is that a good idea or not? I really want it. They have another one, but it doesn't have a cat, so that was already a no! I was told it was a pretty good exhaust, but I wouldn't be able to pass the smog test. He also said that my Honda should already come with a cat. Is that true?
Sorry if any of these questions are stupid. I am just now learning about cars and fixing my car up for NOPI Chick!!!!

Thanks
badcivic2000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Do it, I'm all for trying anything if you're getting it for free! Yes, all Hondas come with catalytic converters, they are just located in different places in the exhaust depending on what engine you have. For instance, if you have a 96-up VTEC Civic your converter is under the car, but if you havae the non-VTEC it is in front of the motor. So teh exhaust piping is different to accomodate the location of the converter, that's why you can't use the piping from the wrong vehicle. At least not without other modifications to it for fitment, or replacing your cat with the one that belongs on that exhaust system you intend to put in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
I would say it's a crappy muffler. How old is it? It's inner packing may be shot. What's the brand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaysi said:
I would say it's a crappy muffler. How old is it? It's inner packing may be shot. What's the brand?
yeah i'm thinking just a crappy muffler.. the car's 98, i bought the car 2 months ago.. so the muffler can't be older than 4 years.. it had no brand on it, looks like GReddyEvo.. why on earth would a company make such a crappy sounding exhaust and why on earth would the previous owner of the car buy it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
pinoydon2003 said:
ok i have a problem.. my exhaust sounds like a lawnmower!! it was on the car when i bought it.. please don't agitate me with "you shouldn't have bought a car w/ exhaust on it".. it sounds great from inside and i never usually let other ppl drive my car so i didn't kno it soudned so bad until recently

but yeah it literally sounds like a lawnmower, the canister looks like a GReddyEvo but it's welded on

there r a few reasons why i'm speculating why this could sound so bad:
a) hollowed out cat? but i was able to pass smog
b) hole in welds
c) rock or something else in the canister/piping
d) muffler vibrates a lot and maybe the sound comes from it vibrating against bumper
e) maybe the muffler is just a crap sounding muffler

any body have any ideas if any of these (or a combination of these) could be true?

im going with the last one...find out what brand of exhaust it is i mean you keep saying it "looks" like a greddy evo, is it or is it not ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Re: Re: exhaust problem

It's probally a Magnaflow or ractive. Cheap mufflers are usually pretty farty.


Hyjnx said:
im going with the last one...find out what brand of exhaust it is i mean you keep saying it "looks" like a greddy evo, is it or is it not ?
Why is your signature so long? Are these all things your getting or all things you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it has no brand name on it, that's why i don't know what it is and i bought the car w/ the muffler on it.. it doesn't even sound farty.. i'd be happy if it sounded farty.. it sounds way worse, it sounds like a lawnmower... a farting lawnmower, perhaps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
new car!!!!

I just got me a new Honda. It is the same Honda that I was talking about that I wanted the exhaust off of at my job. I got the car yesterday. I traded in my car because the guy that had it before me was in a wreck and changed everything under the hood. The air filter was different and was in the wrong place, a tube was dangling, the air filter was not connected to anything, new hood, etc. I went to get service on it yesterday at Honda and they said they couldn't service it because they wouldn't even know where to start!! So I got a new one: Honda Civic EX 2 door 5 speed 2000. NICE!!!!! It is basically almost the same but not really. My car was wasting gas and we didn't know why. 3 or 4 days on a full tank!!! I can't drive it to school or work now because I don't know how to drive a stick!! I should have it on Monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Driving a stick is easy, especially in a soft-clutch car like a Civic. Get out there and give yourself a crash-course (don't literally crash...) in 5-speed driving adn then start enjoying your new vehicle.

Smart choice by the way, ditching your old one, first because it was wrecked but more importantly because it was an automatic! Congrats. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top