Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new exhaust and all of the kits online are too much $$$ :(

If I get a quote from a custom exhaust place here in town what specs should I request for the materials they use? Like what diameter pipe, the material it's made of, should it be mandrel bends or will crushed work just as good?

Hit me up!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
kommon_sense said:
2.25" mandrel bent stainless steel piping. Use mandrel if at all possible, but it won't be the end of the world of you have to get crushed.
what is the difference between mandrel bent and crushed? are there any differences in costs?

·
Registered
632 Posts
yah mon if u have 2 get crushed its no big deal. mabey u might get 2 more hp out of mandrel bent[ i belive that takes a special type of machine].
crushed is fine, just go to a reputable shop and make sure they do it right, just tell them u want the best flow u can get and i dont even giva damn i will stand in the bay while they do the work just be cool and talk to them and tell them u want good flow and they will do a good job and yes if u have the money get a hi-flow cat while ur at it if they have one even for a decent price.
yes get 2.25" thats good for a decent turbo setup and n/a as well, and yes get a hi-flow muffler either a straight-thru design or if you want to look stock like a sleeper then u can go w/ dynomax or some of the magnaflows, they sound good after your car is warm and have good flow.
when ur car is cold they can sound raspy cause of the type of insulation they have, i forget what its called.
but yeah just go with custom bent 2.25 cat-back ull be fine. but b sure 2 upgrade your cat to a hi-flow sometime soon to complete your exhaust. and then either header or turbo header depending on what your have planned for your setup.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ugh... not sure what that's suppose to mean, but...

I'm looking for 2.25" definately. Stainless Steel so it doesn't rust? What do they use for oem exhausts? Mann, this still looks just as expensive. The piping, the muffler.

·
Registered
912 Posts
well how much do you want to pay? i got my custom 2.5" catback exhaust for $305 at my local exhaust shop. just go there, and ask

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
look under your car and see what all bends you need to complete,take note to what angles they are at and so forth

Go to www.jcwhitney.com they have mandrel bent piping,just buy it from there,get a hi-flo cat and a muffler of choice.

There ya go a full custom exhaust for under $200

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
projecthatch92 said:
what is the difference between mandrel bent and crushed? are there any differences in costs?
mandrel bent piping has a constant inner diameter, so if you get a 2.25 inch pipe then it is still 2.25" at the bends.

crushed bent piping reduces at the bends which can cause a reduction in flow. Same idea as when you put a kink/knot in a garden hose and it keeps the water from flowing.

Take a look at the stock piping. You will notice that it is thinner at all of the bends.

A 2" mandrel bent pipe is comparable to a 2.25" crush bent.

Mandrel bent piping usually costs more than crush bent and not all shops can do mandrel bends (requires a special machine).

So mandrel is best, but crushed isn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
31 Posts
is 2.25" the most optimal? would having a larger diameter piping affect power? what if a 2.5" was installed? or even a 3" pipe? wouldn't the larger piping provide more space for the exhaust gases to exit quicker?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
wentworth said:
is 2.25" the most optimal? would having a larger diameter piping affect power? what if a 2.5" was installed? or even a 3" pipe? wouldn't the larger piping provide more space for the exhaust gases to exit quicker?
Around 2.25 would be pretty much ideal for a decent power n/a car. For turbo you want the most free flowing thing possible, no exhaust at all if possible.

SUS304 would be the best metal to use. Mandrel bent like the others said would be the best. SUS409 is another stainless thats a big cheaper, most people use but it's cheaper for a reason.

Where in ohio are you?

·
Registered
388 Posts
gas tax?? i heard that freaggin oregon or something like that was gonna tax you for every mile you drive my friend was like DAMN now i gotta pay tax on my track runs after every 4 runs lol :clap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VtecAddict said:
Around 2.25 would be pretty much ideal for a decent power n/a car. For turbo you want the most free flowing thing possible, no exhaust at all if possible.

SUS304 would be the best metal to use. Mandrel bent like the others said would be the best. SUS409 is another stainless thats a big cheaper, most people use but it's cheaper for a reason.

Where in ohio are you?
Well I am in Mansfield.

Can't really get under my car.. well.. I could but it's very cold outside where I am. I called a local shop and they said like $85 for just the tubing with installation, and when I asked him about a resonator being included he thought that to be strange because I wouldn't get that "noise" i was looking for, which I never ever mentioned. I'm sure for that price it's crushed aluminum pop cans that make up this "tubing"

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
wentworth said:
2.25" gives you room to grow and good top end. for your current setup 2" mandrel bent would probably be optimal. OEM is 1-7/8" crush bent.

No, larger hole won't allow it to exit quicker...

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I have found that on the civics a 2.25 mandrel bent pipe is a good size cause it goes well N/A and turbo.Sure with a turbo it is better to run larger piping but with the 2.25 and a turbo you get really good response and there IMO is no need to go any bigger on a daily driver

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
98civic4door said:
I have found that on the civics a 2.25 mandrel bent pipe is a good size cause it goes well N/A and turbo.Sure with a turbo it is better to run larger piping but with the 2.25 and a turbo you get really good response and there IMO is no need to go any bigger on a daily driver
I partially agree. If i was running a turbo though i'd definitly be running 3". Quicker spool is always sexy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
wentworth said:
if you go to big then you'll lose power because your not pushing enough exhaust out and it'll end up just bouncing around in the pipe instead of going straight out. on my car i went with header back 2 1/4 mandrel bent pipe with a magnaflow or somethin similar with no cat or resonator. got it done for $250

1 - 20 of 32 Posts