Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here from Canada know where I can get a cheap after market exhaust system? Toronto area that is.

My exhaust system went today...its so loud right now!

I changed it 4 years ago with basic stock pipes and a cat for $500+. I later found out i paid way too much for it and could have gotten an aftermarket system for around the same price.

I drive 93 civic dx hb. Its now a pretty old and rusted car and I dont want to put too much money into it. Nor do I have that much money for that matter.

If anyone can help me out and tell me if there are any good deals on a bolt-on that i can do myself. Or am I best bringing it to like "muffler-man" or Midas or something?

thanx

steve

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
the cat is what cost you the money. good ones tend to be alot.

order it from an online site. you can find much better deals than anyone at a shop will give you. plus you wouldn't have to pay taxes

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ebay = heavy shipping cost

ebay ships to canada, but the shipping cost seems to be ridicolous.

One store I found, ships to US for $30 and to Canada $180...wtf??

Average shipping cost is around $125 to Canada.

cat back exhaust system alone...cheapest around $175 + $125 Shipping = $300. Is that a decent price to pay?

Any Canadian members around toronto that have hook ups...plez lemme know.

thanx guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does it mean when a seller tells you that this cat-back system will pass the emissions test, but not the visual portion?

what's a visual portion of an emissions test?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
snguy82 said:
What does it mean when a seller tells you that this cat-back system will pass the emissions test, but not the visual portion?

what's a visual portion of an emissions test?
some states i think have to have stock looking equipment for some reason. at least thats what i heard someone say before. like if you have exhaust and its no louder than stock a cop can still pull you over for it. thats just what i heard. i'm glad i live in FL more and more everyday

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good guess!

strtciv93 said:
since your in canada, make sure you get a full stainless steel exhaust so it doesnt rust from salt on the roads. im just making a guess that you get a fair amount of snow there

We get a lot of snow here. And I made the mistake of not finding out more last time and doing it right with stainless steel. Now I have to do it a second time. But now my car is so old...i dont know if its worth putting so much money in to it. I eventually want the new Si...down the road. But I still love my HB.

thanks for the reminder.

steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's not too many Canadian members here eh?

figure it be pretty easy to get hook ups, cuz it seems like everyone with a honda has a full exhaust system.

got an estimate on a full stanless steel exhaust system for around 600-700. Too much? Im not looking for too much performance. More durability and a lil' performance.

·
Registered
882 Posts
custom catback exhaust! buy a muffler... then take it to an exhaust shop, have em bend buy pipe from them.... 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 piping should be no more than 3 per foot.... so thatll cost around 20-30.... then the muffler can be as expensive as u want, or u can buy a 10 dollar on haha... its much cheaper....

·
Registered
912 Posts
det414 said:
custom catback exhaust! buy a muffler... then take it to an exhaust shop, have em bend buy pipe from them.... 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 piping should be no more than 3 per foot.... so thatll cost around 20-30.... then the muffler can be as expensive as u want, or u can buy a 10 dollar on haha... its much cheaper....
they will charge you for labor, which is 60 an hour around here. my exhaust ended up being 305$ for 2.5" piping and one of their off mufflers. sounds great

·
Registered
882 Posts
strtciv93 said:
they will charge you for labor, which is 60 an hour around here. my exhaust ended up being 305$ for 2.5" piping and one of their off mufflers. sounds great

hahaha! mine only cost 150.... thats 2 1/4 pipe, and about 1 hour, and 76 for the muffler i bought from a site... but they only charged 26/hour for labor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its fixed! Sounds great now!

Got an estimate yesterday. Seems like the only problem was the down pipe. My magnaflow muffler is still in good shape.
So I replaced the down pipe from the cat to the muffler today with the ressonator, for 200 labour and taxes in. Asked around, apparently its a fair price for this area.

So decided to do this...instead of doing a a full cat back system. Since shipping is so expensive to Canada. U guys are lucky in the states, everything is cheaper.

But it sounds great now!! Nice and deep!

thanx for all the help guys.

steve

·
Registered
912 Posts
snguy82 said:
Got an estimate yesterday. Seems like the only problem was the down pipe. My magnaflow muffler is still in good shape.
So I replaced the down pipe from the cat to the muffler today with the ressonator, for 200 labour and taxes in. Asked around, apparently its a fair price for this area.

So decided to do this...instead of doing a a full cat back system. Since shipping is so expensive to Canada. U guys are lucky in the states, everything is cheaper.

But it sounds great now!! Nice and deep!

thanx for all the help guys.

steve
dont think thats called a downpipe, those are for turbo'd cars. that isnt a bad price. seems pretty good

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
strtciv93 said:
dont think thats called a downpipe, those are for turbo'd cars. that isnt a bad price. seems pretty good
Your gonna have to excuse my "terminologies". Im not too familiar with these stuff. A guy I know that is supposively very knowledgable about these stuff corrected me yesterday and told me its called a "downpipe".

I just now learned the difference btw an axle-back and cat-back exhaust system. lol

guess u learn something new everyday.

but im glad u think its a good price...or at least not a bad one. Im just glad this mess is over for a while. But the salty conditions here, its bound to come back again. HOpefully, not for a while...fingers crossed.

PEace!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey!

A fella Canadian!

That's not a bad deal. Wonder why its actually so cheap tho? I actually saw that one. But it includes the muffler, high flow cat and header. I was actually more interested in the catback exhaust. But I found out my muffler was in good shape, so i only needed the centre pipe between the cat and the muffler; which i got done today for 200.

but thanx tho man. btw,

steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts