Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting it should I just get custom or get catback? I'm planning on boosting my lovely B18A1 some time in the summer while attending UTI. I'm looking for something that gives me a little bit more ponies but without being pulled over every five minutes I was looking at the Apexi N1,5zigen fireball. any suggestions. looking to spend about $250.:bomb

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Wait until you're boosted. Anything under 3" will hinder your power making abilities and powerband with the turbo setup. But 3" without the turbo will be craptacular.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
mmmm, but who builds a 220whp turbo B18 :ninja

Edit: Ugh, dammit now I wanna steal the GT15 at the shop and see what happens with my car...

· Registered
4,633 Posts
dont you put those on bikes
:nod

I'm setting up a boost project for my Formula SAE race car at university using the CBR600 / CBR600RR motors. I'd rather be using the GT12, but we got the GT15 for free. At least it should make more peak power...and at least we have 13,500 rpm to play with.......even if all the fresh incoming air has to go through a 20mm restriction:bash

· Registered
41 Posts
I say get a catback... and not a custom at that. I guess I'm a big believer in the R&D that goes into making a proper catback (by the big companies). Don't get me wrong, a custom one would work fine but it just comes down to personal preference.
Good luck.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Wait on the exhaust until you get your motor done. Simple as that. The exhaust should be made to complement the motor, not your ears.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I say get a catback... and not a custom at that. I guess I'm a big believer in the R&D that goes into making a proper catback (by the big companies). Don't get me wrong, a custom one would work fine but it just comes down to personal preference.
Good luck.
it's a bent piece of pipe with a resonator and muffler.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
CUSTOM >> ebay premade >> big dollar premade

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
CUSTOM >> ebay premade >> big dollar premade
you have it backwards. custom doesn't mean better just means cheaper to get quality parts on it. when you start talking audi turbo models and bmw's etc, you need a big dollar premade. a custom can actually fuck the car up with the way the computer runs them. and entry level exhaust for an e46 bmw are roughly 1200 bucks for a 325i

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Custom CAN always be better, but like Marques said, depending on the application, you might have a lot of research and analysis time on your hands.

For example, to make the best custom exhaust on our Formula SAE car with the CBR600 motor, the powertrain team took 3-4 months to properly design a custom exhaust from the header to the muffler using a lot of computer simulation, and tying that in to the ECU.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.