Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
most people say just to get the catback for quality. I really wouldnt care. The only difference i would see is that getting ur piping done at a muffler shop would be much cheaper than buying a cat-back. Most cat-back systems range from 400-500. rear sections cost like 200 and piping at a muff shop would be like 90-100.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm not sure, but mandral bent has to do with bending the metal when it's hot I believe, becuase when you bend ith when it's cold you get little creases on the interior of the bend, causing a non smooth surface, therefore causing not as good of air flow. It may also be a machine doing the bending, but like i said I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just to make sure ive seen exhaust tips (just the tips) and was told there are tips that make noise and no performance... someone is arguing that they dont... just wanna noe for shure....

and wats the difference in performance of a muffler only and a catback

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the two main options are mandrel bend, and crimp (???) bend. I am not sure of the second one, but I know that a mandrel bend is much much smoother. I have seen it done. There are 3 wheels that the pipe is forced between. I think the wheels are powered, so the pipe gets pulled in.

Obviously, the smoother the bend, the less restriction on exhaust gas flow, and the better off you are.

The only difference I can possibly imagine between muffler shop piping and a system from DC or whomever, might be that the expensive stuff could have some kind of coating on the inside that further reduces restriction? This is only a guess. I really have no idea.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Haicu said:
just to make sure ive seen exhaust tips (just the tips) and was told there are tips that make noise and no performance... someone is arguing that they dont... just wanna noe for shure....

and wats the difference in performance of a muffler only and a catback
I haven't heard of just tips on a stock muffler that can make sound or alter performance. There are some "tunable" mufflers out there with different tips you can put on to decrease sound output, with a probable loss in flow.

A catback, as the name implies, is a system that replaces all of the components behind the catalytic converter. That means that you aren't replacing the header (exhaust manifold), or the catalytic converter with a catback system. If you assume that the piping on an aftermarket product is less restrictive, then you are going to have better flow with a catback system. Ultimately, you would want to replace everything. Replacing a muffler only will pretty much just make your car louder. There are still bottlenecks on the performance such as stock header, cat, and midsection piping.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
mandrel bends keep the exhaust flow alot better then crush bent....basically in crushbent you can loose power (not a noticable amount to you), due to the exhaust gasses fucking around in those crush bends, another benefit to cat back systems is that you get a high flow resonator, which means it wont be loud and obnoxious as hell and, it wont get buzzy at higher RPM's.............true custom weld is cheaper...but there is a reason why....i have it now and i am changing to a cat back system....i dont wanna go cheap on my car anymore....i cant afford the cheap stuff.........

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
if you were looking at the stock exhaust system.......you have your cat....then the mid pipe....the resonator is located on the midpipe (its just like another muffler).......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but for a guy w/ a very lightly modded car (not for track use by any means) that power loss due to the custom piping (either mandrel or crush bent) would be too insignificant to consider anyways right? wouldn't i at least get more power over my stock exhaust??

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
yes you would get more power then stock, however like i said.....mandrel bent systems cost that much for a reason....and besides...thermal exhausts IMO are way too loud and obnoxious....its all about goin...INCOGNITO!....thats why i am changing my exhaust...........no more goin with cheap shit on my car

·
Registered
583 Posts
BlackEG_Si:
A catback, as the name implies, is a system that replaces all of the components behind the catalytic converter. That means that you aren't replacing the header (exhaust manifold), or the catalytic converter with a catback system.
Are you sure that the cat isn't replaced with the cat back? Because I'm pretty sure that the cat is replaced when you get a cat-back system.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Also, don't forget that the "expensive" cat-backs (my DC one was $500 shipped) are usually certified for noise and smog regulations. ;) My DC one is documented as California legal; if I got a ticket for it, I could take the documentation to court to prove its legality. You don't get any such assurance from a custom system.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
the catalytic converter is NOT REPLACED........and your muffler has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW MUCH YOU EMIT........the "expensive" ones do usually come with a below 95 dB guarantee..........

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.