Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy an exhaust,
from what I've read on this board and others
these 2 products seem to be the most recommended..
Does anyone know which one have better throughput/flow?

thanks

· Registered
484 Posts
im not sure but lookatmee has had an evo and the apex. u should message him hed be able to help ya out. i personaly have tyhe evo and i think it gives good mid to high gains. it sounds sweet too

· Registered
12,727 Posts
give me what you want and I will try to come up with a great exhaust for you. my taste changes at time but the two I like right now are Apexi N1 and the thermal exhaust. both resist rust VERY well and are great exhausts. are you slammed?? if so the thermal is a good choice. the apexi N1 hangs kinda low...the resonator does that is. The greddy evo is OK but it rusts faster than a mother and has a farty sound if you go through a parking garage. all depends on what you want. the thermal is fully stainless steel and I think that would be a great buy!

· Registered
2,368 Posts
In my opinion:

N1 - great gain, but too loud

EVO - great sound, i mean GREAT sound... andy says it farts, and what he means is, sometimes when you let off the gas, youll here a faint rumble every once in a while. the actual normal sound of the exhaust doesnt sound anywhere near farty :) the evo looks great, and has great clearence. you'll also see a nice gain, maybe a little bit less than the N-1 but i would much rather have a good looking/sounding exhaust than have one that i dont like that gives me 1 extra hp.

get the GReddy EVO, or find someone that has a greddy exhaust and hear it for yourself.

peace

ps, i have a clip of a GReddy SP if you want to hear a similar exhaust to the evo. just IM me on aol instant messanger, my name is putangben. or email me [email protected]

peace

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, this is definetly good info.

lOOKatme
what brand is the "thermal exhaust" you were reffering to? I check APEXi website, and they dont have anything like that.

also
as far as what i want to do with my setup, I am pretty sure of eventually going to forced induction...
based on my priorities
1) flow -> performance
2) sound-> less the better
3) clearance and rusting

would you recommend the N1?

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Evo is good for solid gains all over the rpm range. Sound awesome and looks awesome.

GREDDY!

Nothing says I am a bad mofo like a 4" tip w/ a laser embossed Greddy logo!

If you are looking for a good exhaust for fi or ci, look at the Greddy PE. Same as the Evo, but larger pipes. As for the rust factor, just make sure to spray the piping off once a month and you should be fine.

· Registered
26 Posts
Have you considered the Tanabe Racing Medallion ???

i have a 2001 Prelude with a racing medallion. Works better than the rest

· Registered
547 Posts
i got the evo and i love it! i like the sound of it too, and the "farting" isn't even a farting at all. it just sounds like a low rattling, but what do u mean Ludeboy when u said the pipes werer bigger? in the EVO or the PE???

· Registered
12,727 Posts
too_huge said:
thanks guys, this is definetly good info.

lOOKatme
what brand is the "thermal exhaust" you were reffering to? I check APEXi website, and they dont have anything like that.

also
as far as what i want to do with my setup, I am pretty sure of eventually going to forced induction...
based on my priorities
1) flow -> performance
2) sound-> less the better
3) clearance and rusting

would you recommend the N1?
thermal is a brand of its own...like apexi. Its a good USA company that makes fully stainless steel piping along with the muffler. if you are going FI I ONLY recommend two exhausts since they are straight through with minimal bends.

Apexi N1
Tanabe Racing Medallion.....they just released the super medallion which is fully stainless steel as well. I super buy if you ask me...but both exhausts are very loud n/a....I think they get much more quiet going FI. But you will gain the most HP with these. both resist rust excellent and both come with a silencer.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Honestly, the only rea gain that you will see is in the difference of the diameter of the pipings of the exhausts. If they are have the same piping, most likely 2.25" or 60mm, I don't see, how you guys can say that brand X will make more power across the power band compared to brand Y.

If you are gonna be going FI in the future or really hard core N/A, then you should look into a larger diameter piping exhaust. Maybe like a 2.5" or 70mm exhaust or even a 3" exhaust for Turbo setups! But if you just have bolt ons and all the regular stuff, a 2.25" or 60mm piping exhaust will do you fine.

One may make more power than the other, but te gains are very minimal like 1hp but then it may lose power in other areas of the power band while its making more somewhere else.

The only thing that you should really be concerned about when buying an exhaust is the selection of the sound. One will sound different from another and that should be your goal in buying an exhaust. At least in my case it is.

And for the comment about going FI and having a quiet exhaust. Well, that's only true for Turbo's because the Turbo works on the exhaust side and actually silents the exhaust. Whereas for a Supercharger, which is on the Intake side, silents out your Intake, if you have one. I have had my cousin's AEM CAI on my car and that thing is silent compared to his car which is stock and its loud as hell on his. So an Exhuast for the SC will be loud too if you don't get a very nice quiet one.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
i say go with a greddy evo, which is very similar to my greddy PE. it gives great gains all across the revband and i am VERY happy with it.

i think its a bit farty when your standing behind the car and the car is pulling away, but when cruising its not too loud at all.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
4bidden said:

farty and loud are two different things....but i know what you mean. ;)
no it farts...its not normal sounding...its like the packing in the evo isn't sufficient.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
LakeMountLude said:
andy which exhuast out of the n1 and the evo did you feel gave you best gains? overall gains that is... cause i was about to get an n1... but i want gains..
On the evo I felt like it gained more mid end range power...but the tanabe rm and apexi N1 feels like its all upper rpm power..power which max's at like 6000-6500rpms. its just hits like a mofo at vtec and the power surge is on. the tanabe rm got quiet in vtec while the apexi N1 screams in vtec....I should get some clips of me driving....the thing is loud in vtec:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.