Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have to run a usdm ecu to pass emmisions?

car is a 98 hatch with a jdm gsr converted to obd2

·
Registered
286 Posts
i tink you might have to. the jdm ecu is ment for jdm engines and specs. jdm engines arent ment to pass emissions here. :-(

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I thought I asked you if you were going to pass emissions and you said yes... :p

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
you can pass w/ a japanese computer...you just have to have all the US stuff hooked up. make sure all the vac lines match too. the jdm tune isn't much different than the usdm tune and it's not going to make a big difference on the smog dyno. the killer here in cali is the fact that people don't hook everything up correctly.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
here in GA, on a car that year we'll run an OBDII test... if your car is no longer OBDII compliant, you fail. doesn't really matter what ECU you're using, as long as it has a functional OBDII system.

Now, the only other thing is that obviously the VIN number... some ECUs have the VIN number in the electronic programming that our OBDII readers will pick up... I dont know of Honda does this, but I know Ford and some GMs do it. So when I put your cars VIN into the computer, and the computer I test has a different VIN, theres a problem there and the state will see that... so you have to have that cleared with the state. They've got waiver stations in all states for this reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts