Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive decided... im turboing my F22 instead of swapping.
My f22 has almost 50K miles... how much boost do you think this engine could handle stock?

8:1 compression sounds perfect for turbo, i just dont know how far i could push it.
Now, with new pistons, rods, and resleeving, how much could that handle? i cant have this blowing up on me now

Anyone acually done this? results? thanx!

·
Registered
111 Posts
F22, F22A, F22A4

F22 with 50K miles is pretty good for turbo with up to or under 8 psi boost for reliablility. I would recommend 5psi and your car will last much longer.

But if you want more power it will handle more than 11 psi stock but may not last too long. Maybe 6-9months then it will need new pistons.

I have 1991 Accord EX with 165,000 miles on it and ran 11psi boost everyday.
My car use to top out at 117mph stock. After t3/t4 turbo topped out at 125mph. Acceleration incresed. Going from 60mph to 100mph was a piece of cake.

The top speed on speedometer is 130mph so i don't know what will make it go past that.

To give you a comparison on how fast the car was.
I raced a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with around 280 hp stock and I was running 9psi boost on totally stock F22A engine (130 hp stock) so with 9 psi I am guessing (190hp) with 160k miles on it.

I was dead even with this car. I was fast off the line because of turbo. He couldn't pass me and I was not able to smoke him either. But I was impressed that this guy couldn't pass me :wow. I bet he was pretty ticked when he saw 91 accord keeping up with him.

This is what happened after 6 months of 11psi boost on a stock motor. My car started to make blue smoke. I took the engine apart and saw that the 2nd piston had small crack. I took it out and noticed that piston rings were reduced to the diameter of pistons so they defenately needed replaced. The oil was passing through the rings.

There is no damage to sleeves at all. I have ordered Race Engineering Xtreme seriese pistons by Wiseco rated up to 30psi.

I should get them by March 3, 2006. It cost me $439 for four pistons and $88 for rings.

They are 85mm for a F22A4 serise engine.

I am not reesleving or anything. Just honing the cylinder walls and putting the Wiseco pistons on stock rods. Lets see how much psi stock rods can hold. I am planning on boosting 15psi. I am sure pistons will last but rods might :bomb past 15psi.

If anyone wants to see pictures let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Turbos make your car worse off the line as you have to keep the turbo spooled to get a good launch...

But yea, the ringlands on F's are teh weakest link in boosting. Otherwise, with a good tune you can run 11 or so psi reliably, and maybe 14psi tops. The best way to set up a turbo is to make the engine breath well and keep the boost down, rather than crank up the boost and blow stuff up...so before you go turbo, get a cam from Delta (it's like $150 for a regrind), get your TB ported, your head ports matched to the manifolds and get a custom 3" exhaust...you'll be making the power most peeps would make at 12 or so psi at like 9 psi....

I'm personally thinking of going turbo as well...16G or T3/T4 .60 trim, intercooled, low pressure till I can get it tuned...but I have some other stuff to fix first...

And my stockish 5spd EX tops out at 125ish or so now...is your car automatic?

·
Registered
111 Posts
"Nissanboy" is right on upgrade and tuneups but remember buy a decent size turbo don't go too big. The smaller the turbibne the faster it will spool.

Mine is .63 cold and .58 hot side. Strats making boost at 3000 rpm and my car goes all the way to 6000 rpm. If I use smaller turbine for hot side like .48 A/R it will spoll much faster. But again the difference is very noticeable after putting turbo. because it only takes seconds to hit 3k rpm and you start making boost. Maybe two more seconds and your boost gauge goes from o-10psi just a reference.

I personally didn't get anything ported at all. It makes a difference but not much compare to cost and time.

The most important thing for people with little budget is to defenately replace pistons and if possible replace rods because those are the main things that go bad under boost before anything else.

Upgrading valves springs and valves would also be a good idea. But I never had problem with my stock F22 head.

Overall, after pistons and rods this engine rocks.

I will be using Wiseco pistons with stock rods. Low on budget!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never heard of an F's bottom end going. The only things I've heard happen are the rings vaporizing. If you retard the timing and keep things relatively cool you won't have any problems...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey "Nissanboy" how do I retard timings?

I have heard this term so many times but no one ever explained how to do it?

Is it through Camshaft?

I have my engine apart right now So I may as well make all necessary changes now.

I need to retard my timing 5 degrees how to I do that on 91 accord?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You know, for all the knowledge I have of tuning cars I don't even know myself. It's something to do with your distributor for sure though...maybe turning the cap? I dunno.

f22GTR said:
Hey "Nissanboy" how do I retard timings?

I have heard this term so many times but no one ever explained how to do it?

Is it through Camshaft?

I have my engine apart right now So I may as well make all necessary changes now.

I need to retard my timing 5 degrees how to I do that on 91 accord?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
on turbo setups timing should be adjusted with an engine management system. dont try micky mousing it with an afc hack or FMU and a msd btm timing retarder.

stock sleeves, forged rods, pistons, and new vavletrain i would say 450whp easily.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
bonestock94 said:
on turbo setups timing should be adjusted with an engine management system. dont try micky mousing it with an afc hack or FMU and a msd btm timing retarder.

stock sleeves, forged rods, pistons, and new vavletrain i would say 450whp easily.
Hey bone, stock bore and compression......what pistons and rings and rods should i go get and from where?

·
Registered
111 Posts
F22 Turbo

Hello guys,

I finally installed new Wiseco pistons in my F22a motor on stock bore.

The stock pistons were 85 mm. One piston was bad and it was letting oil blow-byu and burn out of the exhaust pipe, which you guys might have seen some cars smoking blue smoke.

Anyways, I took the old ones out and checked the cylinder walls. Everything looked good, no scratches, I used the honing tool from AutoZone and honed the cylinders before I put in new Wiseco Forged Pistons 85 mm bore with new rings.

Put everything together last friday, started the car yesterday, it cranked first time and then on second time it started (thumbs UP).

Drove it around everything works fine. I don't have the turbo pipe hooked up to the intake manifold yet. Its just attached to the exhaust manifold. I just want to break-in the new pistons before I boost them.

By the way, I used my stock rods (no funds). They work perfect on Wiseco pistons.

Anyone who is thinking of buying forged pistons, please don't buy used from eBay, because if you buy used you will still need new wrist pins and rings which will cost around $200 extra.

So spend some extra and buy new.

Best place to check is Race Engineering. Fast shipping and best prices.
I got mine in 4 days from date of order.

They also had Crower Rods H-beam for $695 (Ouch).
Pistons for F22A Wiseco ($530 with wrist pins and rings).

I just couldn't afford to buy rods, too expensive, but its worth it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Retard

You can advance or retard your ignition timing by loosening the bolts that hold your distributer and rotating it either way, there is a slide for the bolts to move in. I believe retarding rotates the distributer to the left.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for info. I figured that out couple weeks ago. Car is running great.

I installed the Vortech FMU 12:1. Works great. Car runs Optimal with stock ECU (I am surprised). Stock injectors work fine. I ran 10 psi without any problem. The only problem I am facing now is boost leak because of too many bents and joints. I couldn't find anyone around here who could bent me a decent pipe for intercooler.

So due to the boost leakeage (somewhere) it's running 6psi. I love that turbo spool sound. That sweet whistle sound.

I have to get proper piping with fewer joints so I don't have boost leakages. Runing below 10 psi with Wiseco Forged pistons is like spending all that money for nothing lol.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
jDmacCordh22a said:
You can advance or retard your ignition timing by loosening the bolts that hold your distributer and rotating it either way, there is a slide for the bolts to move in. I believe retarding rotates the distributer to the left.
are you going to have a midget in your engine bay retarding it .45 degrees for every lbs of boost?

setting your dizzy timing all the way retarded is just retarded, the car would bog to death when not in boost or low boost. this doesnt work with turbo cars, that is what engine management systems are for.

TSM_Pikachu said:
Hey bone, stock bore and compression......what pistons and rings and rods should i go get and from where?
wiseco pistons w/ stock 8.8:1 CR for the f22 can be found at raceng.com under the raceeng brand, they have them in standard 85mm and 85.5mm over bore. i personally would run the over bores, get the block bored .020 over and honed. since you already spent 500 bucks on pistons and rings might as well make sure your 100k mile old cylinder walls arent scored or warped.

i may look into getting some custom slugs though, w/ a little higher than stock compression though, something like 9.5:1 or around there.

the only major company that makes f22/h23 rods is crower but but they are bank, almost 700 bucks. the next best alternative i have found are importbuilders.com forged H beam f22/h23 rods. i will most likely end up running a set of these they are only $335 and i have heard great things about them. another option is Probe h23 rods, i know of a guy running 460whp on his h23 w/ Probe rods.

should also look into getting new ACL or OEM rod and main bearings, and thrust washers, new uppper and lower gaskets, and timing belt, water pump, and oil pump.

Nissanboy said:
Turbos make your car worse off the line as you have to keep the turbo spooled to get a good launch...
launch off a 2 step

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.