Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a lot of talk about the F22B DOHC and i'm beginning to like the idea of this motor because of the fact that it's cheaper than the H22, has comparrable torque and displacement, lower CR for turboing and it's non-vtec.

so here's my question, wouldn't the engine's be closely similar, power-wise, saying that they are essentially the same engine in certain regards. what i'm trying to ask is that if i took an F22B and an H22A and put them side by side, put the exact same parts in both engines and tuned them both to the max, would the F22b be able to compete with the H22. I know the bore is the same (87mm) but i didn't see the stroke anywhere. the stroke on the H22A is 90.7mm and if the F22B's stroke is the same (or close) couldn't they theoretically produce the same power. In all regards the F22B is better for turboing, with iron sleeves and lower CR, so that's why i'm opting for that engine. And i figure with an engine that i'm just gonna strip down and build from scratch anyways, i might as well buy the "same thing" for cheaper and not waste my money on better stock pistons and cams that are just gonna get replaced for jepistons and skank cams...

i'm only thinking about how two very similar engine with not similar stats could be made to make very similar stats after some equal building and tuning. any input is welcome... except flaming

feel free to correct whatever i've said wrong and supply with anything else that's interesting

thxxx

Reactions: hobie237

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
the new s2k uses an f22 variant though. but it's still WAY different than an accord's f22. so no, it won't work easily......or cheaply for that matter.

if you have two fully built race motors....an f22b and h22....they'd be about the same. but the thing about the f22b is that it won't have the same low end performance as the h22 because it can't switch over to a low or high revving camshaft profile. so a $50,000 race motor would probably be equal....but anything less than that would put the h22 to an advantage.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mad-ass said:
F22b is more expencive then the H22.
S2k uses F22 engine :ninja
F22B would cost about $1050 for engine, tranny and ecu... H22 costs about 1900-2200...

i'm curious, why wouldn't the F22 have the low end power? would it lose it because of the sleeves? or is there something else i forgot. hmm.... i'm confused. i'm opting for the F22B because i could have one readilly available to me in the next couple months. but i got run off the road into a guardrail today by some chick who drove away with out even pulling over... she also waved as she drove away. my car's ok except for the left side is all scratched up. i should've hit the bitch. anyway, unless i find a legit reason to keep the car i'm looking to buy an MKII MR2... so if anyone could tell me engine stuff on them, i'd be very greatful... lol.

thanks for the help guys...

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
a complete h22a would run around $1500....that's the average price including tranny, mounts, brackets and ecu.

look.....if you build a non-vtec f22b motor up to race spec, then it could have all the high end an h22 could have with those cam specs. but there's no way it can run well in the low end because those cams are made for high end running. it will idle like ass and get really funky down low. now with a motor that has some sort of variable valve timing, then the cams will have a somewhat mild low end that will still have a weird idle, but at least run well down low; but once the cams switch to teh high end profile, it will be just as aggressive as the non-vtec motor w/ pure race cams....that's the beauty of variable valve timing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I beleive the f22b that your referring to is the jdm dohc that came in the accord over there instead of the sohcvtec that cames in our ex's.Its basically an h23 with less displacment and slightly less torque.We've got a guy over at accordracing.com that has already done this swap.His name there is "acc90rd". Also the f22b in question is 160hp 145ftlbs I believe.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks bro, but i was quite aware of that. not to sound mean or snappy or anything. and the F22B dohc came in the jdm Prelude Si... :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
For the amount of money you probably have, I'm going to have to disagree and say the f22b is a much better choice. The great thing about the low compression is that it is easy to boost it within reason without having to build the engine. I have a friend of mine in Dallas that is running the f22b in his cb7, and he has it boosted with a dsm setup. Cost of the custom dsm setup will run you anywhere from $1-2000 depending on how fancy you want to get. On the other hand just getting the h22, shipping, and installation would run you more than that and the f22b combined. Go to cb7tuner.com, SEARCH(don't just randomly ask questions before looking), and thank me later. There is a guy(accordr33) on there selling complete dsm setups for only $1200 with shipping. I personally will be building a custom dsm setup within the next 2-3 months on my f22a. We already have someone on there making 250 whp on a similar f22a setup with stock internals .. so I'm sure a f22b with this same setup would make even more if tuned properly.

Oh and I can't forget... if my gf got a vibrator from another guy I would smack her across the face with it then dump her... wtf mate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
foozbal said:
thanks bro, but i was quite aware of that. not to sound mean or snappy or anything. and the F22B dohc came in the jdm Prelude Si... :)
I was assuming you werent from the question you asked about low end.Ayway, thanks for clarifieng the body it came in. What gen was it though?(not being a smartass, I really want to know.):)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Liltroy said:
I was assuming you werent from the question you asked about low end.Ayway, thanks for clarifieng the body it came in. What gen was it though?(not being a smartass, I really want to know.):)
no worries, the DOHC F22B came out of the 4Gen (92-96) Prelude Si... lol, and it's all good about the assumption, i did word it wrong.

...well, i've decided that i'm going H22A anyways, cause i'm gonna go all motor. i'm a little TOO fresh into this to be messing with turbo's just yet. cause i'm going to be doing this all by myself, maybe with help from friends but mostly me.

Yea, but what made me decide to do this, is that for about 2 weeks i thought i was getting a CRX so i did all this research on the B18C1 GSR motor and then Ultra gave me a lesson in torque, stroke and displacement. so now that i know i can't get a CRX i'm looking into the H22 again. well, i went to NaganoJapanese.com and they have the G1 H22A1 for 2k with the tranny, ecu, dist, alt, pulleys, harness and everything but axles i think. well, that place is about 7 hrs away from me so i'm thinking... ROAD TRIP TO CANADIA! anyways, that's what i'm doing because i'm gonna get more power with a bottom end kit/miscellaneous (SP?) bottom end parts... (also a resleeve and bore-out) but i can't find a crankshaft.... anyways, i'm going all motor, so the H22 is the obvious choice.

so all feedback is definately welcome, except about my girlfriend getting a virbrator... :mad

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, if you are going all motor then h22 is the way to go. Low end torque and power doesn't really matter when you are racing. If you want that then get a domestic v8. All motor h22 is going to cost you an arm, leg, and probably right testicle unless you know how to build motors on your own. Good luck with it either way.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
if you can tune the h22 for turbo, it'd be a beast. imagine having that extra lift AND boost. the problem w/ it in stock form is that VTEC has too much valve overlap which leads to an inefficient setup w/ boost.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If ur goint to boost ur car.....no way in hell u should even consider the H22. I have about 3 friends with the F22 DOHC JDM motor and one of them is boosted. That motor owns. It comes with 160HP stock and is strong as hell. My boy has one and boosted 12 psi on stock internals and now has the same setup as i have and wiseco pistons are the only internal upgrade and he is making ungodly amounts of power with the AEM EMS. If all motor is ur thing then the H22 is ur means.......but for turbo the H22 becomes way too costly to do it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
willrasmussen said:
Yeah, if you are going all motor then h22 is the way to go. Low end torque and power doesn't really matter when you are racing. If you want that then get a domestic v8. All motor h22 is going to cost you an arm, leg, and probably right testicle unless you know how to build motors on your own. Good luck with it either way.
Thats not funny man, I got stabbed at work a little over 4 weeks ago and I might loose my LEFT testicle! And I didnt even get an h22 out of it! Just 4 weeks worth of workers compensation,lol.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
speaking of cost: there are three things to tuning: power, price, and reliability....you're only allowed to have two. if i were building for power and reliability, i'd put the money down on it......but then again....the car is still only an accord :hehe

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UltraMagneticAL said:
but then again....the car is still only an accord :hehe
:fu

anyways, i know about the whole power/reliability triangle thing, you say it enough, lol. but yea, i'm definately going with the H22, and i'm going to strip the bottom end and rebuild it. i'm gonna resleeve, then bore it out to .87mm and put Je 11.5:1 CR pistons in it, eagle rods and probably regrind the crank or do something with it... not sure about the crank tho... but all that is gonna go for about $3400 and i'll put it all in either by myself or with some friends so i'll save more money there... cool.

advice and all that is encouraged!

oh, and i'm gonna chip the ECU... btw, which ecu is better the P13 or the P28? i don't know much about the different types of ECU's... thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay my opinion. Even with going all motor. I would consider the f22 over the h22. One reson being price, another is with all the mods you listed you'll notice a bigger increase in power with the f22. In my town there's a guy that has a 93 prelude si with the motor built to hell. He's pushing 256whp and his torque isn't far behind. Some one early said h22 has better bottom end then f22 thats backwards. The f22 is a bottom end beast, to where the h22 is an interstate killer (vtec is all for top end speed). You need torque to push the hp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.