Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a search before posting this but didn't find much...

Anyway, I have a 1995 accord ex with an F22b in it. The engine is on its way out, not happy nor healthy in anyway (blown head gasket, jacked up wiring harnes, etc etc..).

I was wanting to swap out to a H22a or possibly the F20B. I was curious if anyone knew if these motors were straight bolt ons or not? Also is there anything special I may need to pay attention to when doing this swap? Another thing, would I need to replace the tranny, or would my current one match up?

At some point I plan on adding a turbonetics turbo kit to the car for some more HP. Its already lowered on skunks, has a decent catback and some headers I was hoping to keep, as well has aem cam gears and cold air intake.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
bonestock94 said:
whatever you can get cheaper but h22 might be a little easier for parts when you go turbo.

cheaper is never a good route, its whats the better "value". an accord comes stock w/ an F22b2 Non-vtec of F22b1 Vtec. (in basic 94-97 accords)

the F22b1 vtec motor is a less expensive swap ( same sawp as i have) and is great for daily driving, great gas milage, and a nice bit of get up and go w/ a few basic bolt ons and modifications.

the H22 is however a much more expensive swap. not many parts of the accord are compatable w/ the prelude motor swap. its a pretty expensive swap but also a great way to gain almost 200 stock HP.

whatever your plan is with the accord i.e N/A or turbo, the H22 is NOT turbo friendly unlike the SOHC F22b1 vtec motor, a power plant to start with

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
with work you can make an h22 and turbo a pretty decent setup. it's expensive though. h22 is definately better to go NA, imo.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Personally, If i were you I'd look into swapping an F22b1 or an F23a1 and turboing that, especially if you're planning on getting a kit. You can find those engines for short money(under $1000 shipped) with low mileage. Those engines have low compression ratios which is great for boost and they were actually recently in Import Racer in the top ten list for turbo engines(though they were never meant to be). Secondly, you could probably build a turbo kit from scratch that would be a little cheaper then the turbonetics kit and if you do it well and research a bit, would probably have better parts and gains.

If money is NO option at all then do what you please and do the H22 with the turbo, cause that would sweet, and I'd love to see the progress on it and I'm sure that when all is said and done it would probably be worth it. I dunno, my $.02.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
F20b = high compression (i think) .. aka not a good idea for turbo

H22 92-95 closed block design (i think) is decent for turbo but the VTEC makes for a new veriable the will make it harder to tune.

F22b will be best for turbo and easiest of the 3 to tune properly ..

.. even still Honda internals are BUILT FOR N/A. Turbo engines have different internal designs, most namely .. lower compression, stronger cylinder walls, different cam profiles, and prob. stronger valve springs and other internals all together.. i wouldnt put turbo on a stock motor unless you dont plan on boosting much.

·
Registered
158 Posts
TOP_END: I agree with you for the most part. Turbo motors themselves are built with some added little doo-dads to make them more reliable for a turbo application all together. I suppose i should have clarified what I had previously stated. The F22 and F23 are both low compression "econoboxes" as most like to say. HOwever, I most kits that come for those engines also don't typically exceed 8 pounds of boost. As this is basically the most reliable amount that won't kill the engine. With that said, I've heard of someone boosting an F22b1 for 15 pounds and he's been doing it for three years. Now this is obviously only one person I know of, but is has been done on stock internals. and for reliability, turbo won't necassarily kill the engine, its in part how you drive, what you do to take care of it and could just be a bad motor itself.

Again, you are right about the different internals for a turbo engine, but if you wanted more boost out of a typically N/A car you can replace some of theparts yourself.... These engines aren't big and scary to work with like some. They're actually relatively simple. Either way, to each his own. My opinion is my opinion whether someone shares it with me or not is fine. Again goodluck with whatever you choose. Take it easy fellas. Peace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.