Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Personally, If i were you I'd look into swapping an F22b1 or an F23a1 and turboing that, especially if you're planning on getting a kit. You can find those engines for short money(under $1000 shipped) with low mileage. Those engines have low compression ratios which is great for boost and they were actually recently in Import Racer in the top ten list for turbo engines(though they were never meant to be). Secondly, you could probably build a turbo kit from scratch that would be a little cheaper then the turbonetics kit and if you do it well and research a bit, would probably have better parts and gains.

If money is NO option at all then do what you please and do the H22 with the turbo, cause that would sweet, and I'd love to see the progress on it and I'm sure that when all is said and done it would probably be worth it. I dunno, my $.02.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
158 Posts
TOP_END: I agree with you for the most part. Turbo motors themselves are built with some added little doo-dads to make them more reliable for a turbo application all together. I suppose i should have clarified what I had previously stated. The F22 and F23 are both low compression "econoboxes" as most like to say. HOwever, I most kits that come for those engines also don't typically exceed 8 pounds of boost. As this is basically the most reliable amount that won't kill the engine. With that said, I've heard of someone boosting an F22b1 for 15 pounds and he's been doing it for three years. Now this is obviously only one person I know of, but is has been done on stock internals. and for reliability, turbo won't necassarily kill the engine, its in part how you drive, what you do to take care of it and could just be a bad motor itself.

Again, you are right about the different internals for a turbo engine, but if you wanted more boost out of a typically N/A car you can replace some of theparts yourself.... These engines aren't big and scary to work with like some. They're actually relatively simple. Either way, to each his own. My opinion is my opinion whether someone shares it with me or not is fine. Again goodluck with whatever you choose. Take it easy fellas. Peace

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.